Author Topic: Just commodities  (Read 131220 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Just commodities
« Reply #360 on: August 22, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
I bet even dirt is going up...

::facepalm::

Ha, just saw that.  Yeah, about 300% over the last 10yrs in some places.
Pretty good return.

Spot gold was last quoted up $8.20 an ounce at $1,647.25.

Most market watchers are now looking ahead to next week’s annual Jackson Hole Federal Reserve confab, which will feature remarks from Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. It’s either at that time or at the mid-September FOMC meeting that many hope the Fed announces a new monetary stimulus plan—nicknamed QE3.

I've seen this movie before and the play stands;
there will be a brief recession, there will be inflation
(note to self: buy CD's at 14) and gold will go to the
'80-'81 equivalent high, about 2200, before it drops.

If Obama wins all bets are off.

Edit to add this tidbit:

LUBBOCK (CBSDFW.COM) - A Texas leader is warning of what he calls a ‘civil war’ and possible invasion of United Nations troops if President Barack Obama is re-elected.

Lubbock County Judge Tom Head is convinced that Mr. Obama winning a second term would lead to a revolt by the American people ... He says the money is needed to “beef up” it’s resources in case President Obama wins the November election.

In the event of civil unrest Judge Head said he’s concerned the President would hand over sovereignty of the United States to the U.N. and that the American public would react violently.

Oh, brother,  talk is all over the place. 
Maybe after the election things will cool down.

A WSJ Book Review: "Better Off Without 'Em: A Northern Manifesto for Southern Secession"

"Thank you for the copy of Better Off Without 'Em, but I'm afraid it's New York and San Francisco that I think should secede."

- P.J. O'Rourke
                                     Don't forget Illinois.

Ace

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #361 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

Is this supposed to be an offensive flag?   ::hysterical::

(3 out of the 4 logos aint bad!)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #362 on: August 24, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »

Continuing the Civil War tangent; well, lead is a commodity:

Reuters:

Maybe President Barack Obama should just settle it in a gun duel with a Texas judge, instead of calling on the United Nations to invade the state.

Court house video here

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #363 on: August 24, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
Fits my call for a return to dueling, whole lot BS would go by the boards if people had to back up what they say and do...

::rockets::

;D

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »
More on the Bernanke-Effect

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/fed-currency-debasement-3-sees-gold-and-silver-surge-2-and-43

Take note of the analysis of MachoMan, spot on IMO.

Bill Gross twitter feed -

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/bill-grossbuy-real-assets-gold-house

Real trumps fake, no time to hold fake.   ;)

Another argument against the Bernanke insanity, basically another confirmation of the Cantillon Effect, or as another poster here calls it "refuedalization".

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/marc-faber-fed-will-destroy-world

charlesoakwood

« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »

Just got out of a house.  City house it was, thought it would be
long term but between Bennie buying mortgages and mortgage
companies making loans for an "X" at 4 or less %, the
city taxes your atzenburner going and coming.  BuBye.

Suburban or one highway hour from the city; raw land.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #366 on: September 15, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »

Bennie will destroy the world. Faber, man of understatement.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/bofa-sees-fed-assets-surpassing-5-trillion-2015-leading-3350-gold-and-190-crude

Since the Fed is effectively becoming the marginal player in both the MBS and Treasury markets, a very relevant question is how much private market debt is left to sell. Short answer: not much. According to BofA's calculation, the Fed will own more than 33% of the entire mortgage market by 2014.  

That's half the story.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #367 on: September 15, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
"To the extent that the Fed is at least temporarily successful in nurturing a risk-on trade for portfolio managers, the reality is that changing the relative prices of assets does not create demand."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/rosenberg-if-us-truly-japan-fed-will-end-owning-entire-market

There is a lot of upside down action left to come, when this unwinds...or to use your elastic band concept...snaps back...    ::speechless::

Thank God PM's are a haven for retaining real value!

Oh, and lead, can't forget about lead!   ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:17:18 AM by Libertas »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
Dollar no longer primary oil currency – China begins to sell oil using Yuan
Kenneth Schortgen Jr.
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:00 CDT

© TIME/Facts Global Energy
On Sept. 11, Pastor Lindsey Williams, former minister to the global oil companies during the building of the Alaskan pipeline, announced the most significant event to affect the U.S. dollar since its inception as a currency. For the first time since the 1970?s, when Henry Kissenger forged a trade agreement with the Royal house of Saud to sell oil using only U.S. dollars, China announced its intention to bypass the dollar for global oil customers and began selling the commodity using their own currency.
Comment: Lindsey Williams: "The most significant day in the history of the American dollar, since its inception, happened on Thursday, Sept. 6. On that day, something took place that is going to affect your life, your family, your dinner table more than you can possibly imagine."
"On Thursday, Sept. 6… just a few days ago, China made the official announcement. China said on that day, our banking system is ready, all of our communication systems are ready, all of the transfer systems are ready, and as of that day, Thursday, Sept. 6, any nation in the world that wishes from this point on, to buy, sell, or trade crude oil, can do using the Chinese currency, not the American dollar. – Interview with Natty Bumpo on the Just Measures Radio network, Sept. 11
This announcement by China is one of the most significant sea changes in the global economic and monetary systems, but was barely reported on due to its announcement taking place during the Democratic convention last week. The ramifications of this new action are vast, and could very well be the catalyst that brings down the dollar as the global reserve currency, and change the entire landscape of how the world purchases energy.
Ironically, since Sept. 6, the U.S. dollar has fallen from 81.467 on the index to today’s price of 79.73. While analysts will focus on actions taking place in the Eurozone, and expected easing signals from the Federal Reserve on Thursday regarding the fall of the dollar, it is not coincidence that the dollar began to lose strength on the very day of China’s announcement.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
China produces roughly a third of what we do, and unless they get other nations to switch to the Yaun the impact will be limited.  But an impact of even marginal proportions may be enough to cause a loss of confidence in the dollar, and the decision to proceed with QE makes Fed/Treas complicit in the destruction of its own currency, we cannot blame others as much as ourselves!

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_pro-energy-oil-production

charlesoakwood

« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

China's making a move trying to establish before Romney
is elected for they know the world will be a different place
once we have a president whose foreign policy is not
appeasement.

The renminbi is having its own problems and other nations
won't be storming the cashier to exchange their currency.
Turkey, Iran, and Russia? have been trading oil for gold.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »

The renminbi is having its own problems and other nations
won't be storming the cashier to exchange their currency.
Turkey, Iran, and Russia? have been trading oil for gold.

China has been building gold reserves steadily for decades now.  I believe their end game is to back the Yuan/Renminbi or a new issue with Gold (and possibly other commodities they are also stockpiling)  in a bid for the World reserve.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »

If the majority of folks understood that it would be
a rallying call.  Oh, wait, Romney said he was going
to address the exchange rate fixing with China.

I digress, but they say Romney has not put up a plan, BS.
He's said, increase military to win two front war, confront
China, end regulation so we can drill-drill-drill, and kill
ObamaCare.  What the hell are these idiots talking about?

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #373 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

Romney also promised to keep the "best parts" of Obamacare - including coverage for pre-existing conditions.  Romney is a politician- that means he is a lying psychopath.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »

Romney also promised to keep the "best parts" of Obamacare - including coverage for pre-existing conditions.  Romney is a politician- that means he is a lying psychopath.

I'll go that far with a Dem, with a center-right guy perhaps not.  I would certainly be willing to offer up misguided, foolish and ill informed.  If Congress can get more real conservatives in there willing to hold tough and not capitulate to the RINO/AINO crowd a President Romney may find replacements for ObamaCare difficult to realize.  That Romney needs to be schooled on his error in rhetoric and policy is beyond question, and hoping he is merely paying lip service to ameliorate moderates cannot be counted upon, that's what gave us crap like McCain-Fiengold!  He needs reeducation if elected, a more conservative Congress would be helpful in that regard.  Mitt was not my choice, not even my second or third...but this is what we are stuck with for good or ill.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #375 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

If I got a condition and move to another company I must wait a year
before I get on the program, that is a problem I shouldn't have.
If I've elected to not pay for insurance and move to another company
and develop a condition, that should be my problem.  Just thinkin...

(Reuters)- CME Group Inc, the parent company of the New York Mercantile Exchange, was not immediately aware of any technical issues that might have triggered a sharp sell-off in U.S. crude oil futures on Monday afternoon, a CME spokesman said.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #376 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/how-chinas-rehypothecated-ghost-steel-just-vaporized-and-what-means-world-economy

From Reuters:    Chinese banks and companies looking to seize steel pledged as collateral by firms that have defaulted on loans are making an uncomfortable discovery: the metal was never in the warehouses in the first place.

This means that in an economy in which the creation of liabilities, and pledging of assets took place at a furious pace in the past 5 years, nobody really knows just what the real state of credit creation truly was. What is 100% certain is that as a result of this revelation, the GDP number of the country, which is and always has been a derivative of credit formation and expansion (and heaven forbid contraction), is massively overrepresenting what it is in reality, and that the Chinese economy has been expanding at a far slower pace if defined not only by the creation of liabilities, but by matched assets. Most importantly, it means that every single Renminbi in circulation is impaired as a country-wide liquidation event would see huge losses by every creditor class. It also would mean, naturally, zero residual value left for the equity.

And just like that the Chinese growth "miracle" goes poof... as does its steel first, and soon all other commodities (coughcoppercough) that served as the basis of "secured" liability creation.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/how-chinas-rehypothecated-ghost-steel-just-vaporized-and-what-means-world-economy

From Reuters:    Chinese banks and companies looking to seize steel pledged as collateral by firms that have defaulted on loans are making an uncomfortable discovery: the metal was never in the warehouses in the first place.

This means that in an economy in which the creation of liabilities, and pledging of assets took place at a furious pace in the past 5 years, nobody really knows just what the real state of credit creation truly was. What is 100% certain is that as a result of this revelation, the GDP number of the country, which is and always has been a derivative of credit formation and expansion (and heaven forbid contraction), is massively overrepresenting what it is in reality, and that the Chinese economy has been expanding at a far slower pace if defined not only by the creation of liabilities, but by matched assets. Most importantly, it means that every single Renminbi in circulation is impaired as a country-wide liquidation event would see huge losses by every creditor class. It also would mean, naturally, zero residual value left for the equity.

And just like that the Chinese growth "miracle" goes poof... as does its steel first, and soon all other commodities (coughcoppercough) that served as the basis of "secured" liability creation.

Bwuuuhaahaaa!  Couldn't have happened to a better pack of jackals!  I hope they feel a surge of national pride after bullying their smaller regional neighbors over a few scattered islands they neither need or deserve!

Up your Chi-Com butts, comrade!

::mooning::

::hysterical::

If this helps to unwind all the Pnzai schemes in play, so much the better, perhaps the real "reset" button has been hit.  Commodity and currency wars could really start overheating now.  Yes, we are closer...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:05:27 AM by Libertas »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
Damn, I knew this would happen too...cannot Kabuki the economy without dinging the dollar and the only other option left is to Kabuki the dollar by scamming commodities...I shoulda seen it coming.  Just like after QE2 & twist&shiver and all the rest...