Author Topic: For as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another  (Read 1030 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: For as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
What an excellent read! If one was ever looking for an articulation of exactly why they are compelled to speak openly of things beyond the banal, this is as good as any.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
<On the other hand, there are really two reasons why we believe the substantial discussion of ideas to be personal.  The first is that our ideas display our grasp of reality; second, they explain the way we live our lives.  But in response to the former assertion, there is nothing less impersonal, in my opinion, than someone's grasp of an idea -- first, because truths do not really belong to any of us, but should belong to all of us, and second, because if we are wrong about a fact, the best thing that could happen to us is that we are corrected.  The belief that an idea is something personal, simply because a person holds it, shows that we consider thinking not a matter of reason, or practicality, or any form of righteousness whatsoever, but a matter of imaginative conceit.  A man whose opinions are not worth sharing enjoys opinions that are not worth having; he merely believes himself entitled to fantasy.  To this man, I suppose that an idea may be personal, and if it is this personal, then he should do us all a favor and never speak.

But the second reason we believe ideas to be personal, that they explain the way we live our lives, is even less personal than the first.  If it can be proven that our beliefs necessarily impact our behaviors -- in other words, that thought is the basis of human action, and that man may be held responsible for his deeds -- then there is nothing less personal than our beliefs.  The idea that man is entitled to pride in his political, religious, and social opinions, that he may somehow behave in the way he behaves, but that he may not speak of it, or, if he does speak of it, should always be respected for it, implies that we believe speaking to be more offensive than doing.  For a man will always behave a certain way whether he speaks about it or not; by his silence, he never implies inaction.  And as the democratic tendencies of any situation increase, so does his enforcement of his opinion; if ideas are impersonal (that is to say, not exclusive to a single person), they are most impersonal in a democratic society, and thus should be spoken openly.  And I do not believe that any person, considering this proposition seriously, believes that forcing our opinions upon others with the power of the state is less offensive than simply sharing them.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/10/the_impoverishment_of_american_conversation.html#ixzz2hFngqv7R
 Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook>

I agree, Pandora and IDP!  The entire article is needful, but here is some bait, perhaps to tempt one to the whole article.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
The answer to Pan's question is most definitely YES!

I can talk openly about stuff with family...my friends here...other casual friends and acquaintances a little bit or not so much at all...I don't mind having my thoughts challenged but many are not open to the same scrutiny.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the link, Pan - saved it to my reader & just read it. Being able to clearly articulate a belief & why you believe it is becoming a lost art. With sports, lifestyle, money, sex & television vying for our attention...who the heck wants to talk about freedom?

Ironically, relegating it to tales of yesteryear, Paul Revere & things once held dear is exactly why the sound we all hear (that giant sucking sound) are our freedoms exiting, stage left. Ignoring freedom isn't a smart thing to do. Most will think "Hey...this is America. We've got the best Constitution & that's that." But not with freedom - sure it was won, ordered & enumerated...but sustaining it's another ball of wax. Freedom's biggest enemy is, as I often quip.....freedom.

When forced to do so...I will talk sports after church...but I'll attempt to wedge in a little founding values, here & there. The BEST I usually get is a nod & a desire to simply commiserate...not do anything purposeful (and certainly not risk anything). But once I mention Polybius (oops) and/or the notion that freedom rests in a bedrock of moral customs, values & standards, they pull out their iPhone to check the game.

So I see the forum as a sort of "touching base" or "tagging up"...before I venture back into the fray - attempting to be diplomatic & honing my "adversity quotient" as the bastards attempt to wear me down.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »

I can talk openly about stuff with family...my friends here...other casual friends and acquaintances a little bit or not so much at all...I don't mind having my thoughts challenged but many are not open to the same scrutiny.

I say whatever comes to mind where ever I happen to be and hope to get challenged.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »

I say whatever comes to mind where ever I happen to be and hope to get challenged.

I shocked, shocked that JF speaks his mind!

/

::grouphug::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:22 AM »

/

It's just the way I was brought up. Be polite if you can and don't take any crap from anybody.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

/

It's just the way I was brought up. Be polite if you can and don't take any crap from anybody.

I like it!   ::thumbsup::