Author Topic: iPad Apps Anyone?  (Read 868 times)

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
iPad Apps Anyone?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Earlier this year I won an iPad @ a Chamber of Commerce networking event. Since then I've streamlined my Pad w/ apps that are not only cool - but that make business/life easier:

• Paper by Fifty-Three - art pallette w/ multiple drawing tools
  • Evernote w/ Penultimate - combo type/draw/doodle your meeting notes
  • asana - Project/task management 
  • Docs to Go - Word, Excel, Powerpoint
  • Prezi - Cool online/offline presentations
  • You.Version - Bible, Notes, Reading Plans
  • Tune-In Radio - self expl.
  • DropBox - online FTP file-sync server
  • Soundcloud - store/upload music mixes
  • Adobe Reader - PDF reader
  • Circadia (game) intersect expanding rings w/moving dots
  • Twitter for iPad
  • Linked-In for iPad

Anybody else have cool/useful apps they like?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:51:00 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: iPad Apps Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
Some of my faves are:

iSolunar - gives the waxing and waning feeding cycles of animals and fish according to lunar influence
Living Earth - a nice weather forecast app
myRadar - a nice weather radar app
Words With Friends
CrossMe - number grid logic puzzles
Aerox - uses ipad tilt axis to control virtual ball through maze/obstacle course
SkyView - astronomy app
Pages (like Word)
Adobe Reader
Adobe pdf to Image
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »
I've opted out of apps.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
Paper by Fifty Three (http://madewithpaper.fiftythree.com/)
The app is free...however, you get only 1 tool (the charcoal pencil, I think) - & can purchase the marker, pencil, ink pen, paintbrush, & paint mixer - all in all I spent $8 bucks.

Here are a few samples of what I like to do to relieve a little stress...I rough out the work w/charcoal, then gradually fill in details & color.

(Cave Painting, Independence, Jazz Band, Spanish Street Scene)
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
nice

I like the street scene.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Thanks Lady V.

Has everyone downloaded iOS 7?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Thanks Lady V.

Has everyone downloaded iOS 7?

Yup. I haven't read what it's supposed to change or improve, but so far I don't see much functional or practical difference. The icons look a little cheesier and less 3D. The search bar and url bar in Safari have been merged into one. There's a new dash you can pull up from the bottom.

Slightly different, not much better that I can tell. I'm sure I'm missing some wonderful new high-tech feature - I just don't know what it is.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
The icon thing I could never understand. Apparently there was a staggering amount of bitching from technogeeks about the previous icons...that they were too realistic or some such nonsense...and that they needed to be more like "symbols" than trying to imitate real life objects. And this is what we get. I honestly don't care too much about it.

One of the big things that did happen with the new OS that actually is a pretty big deal is the auto update feature. With IOS6 any time that an app needed to be updated you would see a red circle notification on the "App Store" icon and then you would have to authorize the update. Like you wouldn't. Like you would rather have that red dot on your screen calling attention to itself every time you hit the home button. So now you don't have to deal with it anymore because all updates happen automatically. That's a bit of a time saver, in my opinion.

A lot of people hate iTunes but I'm not one of them. It plays music. It works well. I don't care about anything else. The new version is much easier for me to see what's playing. It's displayed in a much bigger area with much better contrast. I like that.

So far there is only one thing that I don't like at all about the new OS. When I use certain apps (like TuneIn Radio, and my Olive Tree bible app) every time I turn them on I am presented with a pop up message that tells me:

"Connect to iTunes to Use Push Notifications"

I can't figure out how to get rid of this pop up or how to turn it off. If someone knows how to make that go away I would like to hear about it.

The Safari browser now has an automatic feature that gives a full screen after a few seconds of non-use. So...more real estate for looking at pages on my phone. That's mostly good.

IOS6 had a separate (and universal) search screen. Now the searches happen within each app. That's not exactly a good change. Sometimes I would want to search by a keyword and get results in several different places...email/calendar/contacts, etc. Now I have to remember exactly where it is that I want to find something.

There are more than these things but they are all that come to mind at the moment.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »
Check out "2nd Vote". It's a free app that rates companies according to their level of commitment to conservative causes. A high score indicates strong support for conservative causes, a low score indicates strong support for liberal causes.

You can sort by issue or by industry. You can search specific companies. You can vote - indicate your intent to patronize or avoid specific companies - and a breakout list indicates the specific third party organizations the company supports with their dollars.

My son-in-law heard about it on Beck this morning and turned me onto it tonight. Cool stuff.

- Thomas Jefferson