Author Topic: Study: Anti-bullying programs having opposite effect  (Read 2791 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Study: Anti-bullying programs having opposite effect
« on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell ya.
 ::falldownshocked::

Are Anti-Bullying Programs Having An Opposite Effect?

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A lot of schools spend countless hours trying to stop bullying. But some question if they are sending the right message.

It started as a simple look at bullying. University of Texas at Arlington criminologist Seokjin Jeong analyzed data collected from 7,000 students from all 50 states.

He thought the results would be predictable and would show that anti-bullying programs curb bullying. Instead — he found the opposite.

Jeong said it was, “A very disappointing and a very surprising thing. Our anti-bullying programs, either intervention or prevention does not work.”

The study concluded that students at schools with anti-bullying programs might actually be more likely to become a victim of bullying. It also found that students at schools with no bullying programs were less likely to become victims.

The results were stunning for Jeong. “Usually people expect an anti-bullying program to have some impact — some positive impact.”

More at link....
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Study: Anti-bullying programs having opposite effect
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Also ...

The student videos used in many campaigns show examples of bullying and how to intervene. But Jeong says they may actually teach students different bullying techniques — and even educate about new ways to bully through social media and texting.

Jeong said students with ill intentions “…are able to learn, there are new techniques [and gain] new skills.” He says students might see examples in videos and then want to try it.

According to Jeong, some programs even teach students how to bully without leaving evidence behind. “This study raises an alarm,” he said. “There is a possibility of negative impact from anti-bullying programs.”

So, an unintended consequence is the kids are discovering, being taught, new ways to bully.  Stellar.  Shades of the anti-drug programs that often result in more drug use.

The schools implementing this program have become the bullies.  Zero-tolerance for fighting means zero-tolerance for self-defense, with the victim being punished along with the aggressor.

eta:  More thought on this.  It's been said the anti-bullying programs began as a way of protecting the homo kids, making schools "safe" for the LGBT-LMNOP crowd.  So, the population of the whole school has to suffer through this crap in order to "protect" a small minority.  Those who aren't protected are the "Jesus Saves" t-shirt wearers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:39:46 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
I was bullied for years , because I was short for my age. As I got older, I learned to hold my head up and walk away. I didn't think about killing myself, or causing injury to others. It wasn't worth it. Bullies are nothing , but insecure cowards. They want attention, even of that attention is negative. The best way, to win, is to stand your ground and ignore them....

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
There is always the "unintended consequence" with any feel good program. And if one questions the whole anti bullying campaign, you will be labeled.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
The problem with the phenomenon of "unintended consequences" is that with liberals, these unintended consequences merely serve as convenient jumping off points for more and more petty ministrations.

Oh, and each of those will create some more "unintended consequences" too.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 02:56:56 AM »
I was bullied for years , because I was short for my age. As I got older, I learned to hold my head up and walk away. I didn't think about killing myself, or causing injury to others. It wasn't worth it. Bullies are nothing , but insecure cowards. They want attention, even of that attention is negative. The best way, to win, is to stand your ground and ignore them....

Short "for your age"?  Try being 4' 10" at any age over 20.  Screw 'em.

That's not what ever got me in trouble; it was always the mouth.   :supercool:
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
I have been 4 foot 7 since i was 14.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
Well Pan, you're no longer the littlest nugget on the forum!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »

I see that!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
Anti-bullying programs are a joke. My middle son was ridiculed in his early high school years because he's different. He's not gay, but has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a learning disability. The friggin' school was clueless as to how to handle it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »
Libiots never seem to understand the concept of Darwinian adaptation...kids aren't stupid...the public school indoctrination centers may make them ignorant of many things, but the kids themselves are not stupid...they learn and adapt...

The old ways are the best ways...best way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them...it may require some pain, but all you need is one good scoring hit and it will be worth it.

OK, now for the real question...how many here think the libiots are going to give up on this?  I don't see any hands...so, yeah...they'll "re-tool" their message.

::facepalm::

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

I see that!

Sorry bout that!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »

I see that!

Sorry bout that!

No need.  Glad to have the company.   ;D

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
What's the weather like down there? ::unknowncomic::

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
Nutty.  IYKWIMAITYD.   ::evilbat::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »
 ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:24 AM »
I think another reason anti-bullying campaigns don't work is that bullies and their victims end up getting the same suspension.  And gawd forbid a kid fights back against a bully.  He's guilty as hell of violating the 'thall shalt alloweth thyself to be pummeled daily without retribution' PC rule of autocratic educrat morons.  When the bully and the victim get the same penalty as a result of their zero tolerance bullshyt, is it any wonder anti-bullying programs don't work?

Also, what's a suspension?  A week at home playing video games?  Yeah, that'll teach those bullies a lesson.  Tough shyt about the other kid, you know, the one who's the victim of blasphemy against the tenets of faith of the PC religion.  He really must learn to run away better, earlier and quicker.  Surrender is now the Common Core Lowest Common Denominator Federal lesson plan, from pre-pre-K on up through the Presidency.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »
More often than not the bully is only part of the problem.  It's the parent of the bully that allows it.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
More often than not the bully is only part of the problem.  It's the parent of the bully that allows it.
Exactly! " not my little angel" he would never do that"