Author Topic: The Obsolete Man  (Read 815 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The Obsolete Man
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »
You've probably seen this before. It's an excerpt from the 1961 episode of the Twilight Zone that depicts a dystopian future where the continued existence of all citizens is conditional upon their proven utility to the State.

It is a great cautionary tale in its own right, but I also find it significant because it demonstrates the change in the culture. When it aired in 1961, popular culture still had these warnings about authoritarian statism. They served as cultural touchstones and common points of reference. Ideas permeate into a population more effectively through things like this than through rote academic training, though we don't even have that anymore either.

It seems like the closest depictions modern pop culture has, movies like The Hunger Games, are implicitly tempered by a "Well, we do have too many people; we are destroying the planet; we are a plague upon the Earth" apology. I don't gather that people are exposed, through entertainment, to overarching ideas on the dangers of the State. Not particular States, but the whole concept of a State period.

The Obsolete Man (BEST)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The Obsolete Man
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »
Not going to click on the vid...

IIRC in this episode the poor condemned soul turns the tables on the Poohbah running this kangaroo court and the other superiors agree with the condemned mans argument and the Poohbah is judged to be obsolete.

I love it when the worm turns!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The Obsolete Man
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
... movies like The Hunger Games, are implicitly tempered by a "Well, we do have too many people; we are destroying the planet; we are a plague upon the Earth" apology.

I don't see it as an apology, it's an attack.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"