Author Topic: Surprise! (Well not really) GOP, Dems playing for same team  (Read 481 times)

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Surprise! (Well not really) GOP, Dems playing for same team
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »
Craige McMillan: Why both parties favor 'Potomac gravy train'
More of America seems to be catching on to the fact that – while we have two political parties – they aren’t in fact the ones that are labeled Republican and Democrat.  Perhaps these two unlabeled parties should be given names. Let’s call them the Potomics and the Outcasts. You know, those inside and outside the moat that surrounds the castles of government in Washington, D.C.
I confess to having been snookered by this game myself on too many occasions.  When election time rolls around, the game works like the good-cop, bad-cop routine in crime novels. The two cops drag the suspect into the interrogation room, and the bad cop wants to beat the confession out of the guy.  The good cop is more sympathetic and holds the bad cop at bay. Given the suspect’s circumstances, his actions were entirely understandable, even if they were wrong. But certainly a court would consider leniency in return for a confession. To the suspect, watching the bad cop ranting and raving in the background, this seems like a plan.
And so, most of America has continued to vote Republican or Democrat because it seemed like a plan.  We simply did not recognize that they were both on the same team.  What team is that?  Why, it’s the home team.  Team Potomac in Washington, D.C.  That’s where all the politicians and bureaucrats live. That’s where all the federal employees live. That’s where all the money is spent. And that’s where the big rake-off occurs. And no, I’m not talking about bushels of leaves raked up underneath the fall tree colors.
You see, the only real battles between Republicans and Democrats are for who is going to be in charge of spending the money they squeeze out of the rest of the country. You’re in charge when your party wins. You get to decide how the money is spent. And with that power you get your rakeoff.  Since bribes are illegal, you get paid through campaign contributions from grateful corporations, contractors and academics who just love those federal dollars, once they are freed from the pockets of their owners by the IRS.
The national press, of course, is in on the game. Follow the money: Every two years there is a national election, lots of campaign money gets tossed into media hoppers, reporters and editors scurry around writing about the “issues,” reader and viewer-ship goes up, and on Election Day out comes the new Demopublican winner! Hooray! We’re saved! Rinse and repeat in two more years.
But of course, nothing changes. Because “moderate” is the codeword for keeping the Potomac gravy train running on schedule. The federal budget grows a little or a lot bit bigger, more federal employees are hired, bureaucracies expand, new ones are created and amidst all this there is endless talk about fiscal reform. Thank heavens talk is cheap, or we’d have to pay for that as well. Oh, I guess we do: We pay the politicians, too.
As evidence for this view, consider exhibit one: The House of Representatives, despite the deep divisions between Republicans and Democrats, was able to vote unanimously to continue paying federal employees sent home for the shutdown. They didn’t vote to allow them to use their 30 days of paid vacation time; they voted to make the shutdown another paid vacation for them.  So you see, even nonessential employees are essential to Washington, D.C.
The other political party is the people who don’t live in Washington, D.C. We’re the Outcasts; the people who fight the wars, bury our soldiers, pay the bills and sacrifice our constitutional liberties so the Potomac Party in D.C. can spy on us through our emails, calls and faxes, to make sure we’re not getting up to any mischief. You know, like prying their worthless, moderate-slimy hands from the levers of spending power.
Remember: The libertarians, the constitutionalists and the tea party are terrorists (at least to the Potomac Party in D.C.). NSA has to spy on them, the IRS has to audit their candidates and contributors, big media have to tell lies about them, and if elected – egads! They will destroy our country!  “Our country” being Washington, D.C.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Surprise! (Well not really) GOP, Dems playing for same team
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »
I'm shocked they lasted this long.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
Dumb and Dumber...what could go wrong?

/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
If anyone keeps up with Powerline still, you can see the more beltway oriented of them acting such.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »
If anyone keeps up with Powerline still, you can see the more beltway oriented of them acting such.

You mean stupid inside-the-beltway moderate bullsh*t like this?

"But kicking the matter into early 2014 gives both sides a chance to reevaluate their positions based on better information about the political fallout of the recent struggle. We know that Republicans have taken more blame than Democrats and that their brand has been hurt more."

-and-

"Right now, I think the Republican leadership in both Houses just wants to stop the bleeding. As for the Democratic leadership, it must think that enough blood has been drawn for now, and that it’s time to set the stage for attacking the sequester."

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/10/republicans-look-to-stop-bleeding-dems-look-to-attack-sequester.php

Yeah, f**king brilliant!  Continue to treat critical issues as merely political games geared for the next election cycle...which is a joke given the next election cycle always begins the day after the last election.

Power-focused idiots cannot be expected to hold onto principles long if at all....

Do the right thing, stand on principle and fight to the last breath...and supporters will flock to you...revert to political calculating jackasses and they will flock away from you.

But hey, what do I know?  These people are f**king brilliant, and pay zillions to other brilliant consultants like The Butthead who saw 10m voters bolt the party last election and keep Prez Skittles in power...so maybe that was all an abberation, yeah, this time will be different, you'll hone the message and try to fool people one more time!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  (The ticket to oblivion!!!)

::gaah::

Let

Them

Die!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.