Author Topic: Pinball  (Read 12023 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Pinball
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
I though that was a guy thing?   ::thinking::

Going back I see that was IDP's quote and not Lady Virginia's.  My believing that's only a guy thing is safe.   ::USA::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »
Guy thing?

I loved playing pinball but yeah, if you mean wasting hours, and hours, and hours.....
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
I meant standing around with your face in an electronic device while 'others' are trying on skirts, checking out purses, trying on blouses, checking out makeup, ect.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
I have a few pinball apps for my iPad, for those moments when killing time is the only option (sitting outside the dressing room at Kohl's; waiting for dance practice to end, etc.)

The three apps I have are called Zen Pinball, Retro Pinball, Pinball Collection HD. All three have their plusses and minuses. The physics are pretty good.

I just looked.  War Pinball on my Ipad.  But seriously, the guys at VPForums are seriously good at designing those pinball games based on classic tables.  Every bit as good as any commercial pinball game app or PC game.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
I have a few pinball apps for my iPad, for those moments when killing time is the only option (sitting outside the dressing room at Kohl's; waiting for dance practice to end, etc.)

The three apps I have are called Zen Pinball, Retro Pinball, Pinball Collection HD. All three have their plusses and minuses. The physics are pretty good.

How do you control the game (Retro), IDP? Can you assign keyboard commands or do you have to tilt the iPad itself (I have my iPad in ZAG case which sits it up like a laptop)?
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

How do you control the game (Retro), IDP? Can you assign keyboard commands or do you have to tilt the iPad itself (I have my iPad in ZAG case which sits it up like a laptop)?

I have mine in a Zagg case too. The flipper buttons are in the lower left and right of the screen, just like a regular pinball machine. It's all touch as far as I know. I can kind of fold my Zagg keyboard to the back and just hold it like I would hold the naked iPad, but sometimes when I get sick of that (for any app that doesn't need the keyboard) I'll just take it out of the Zagg for a while.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Finrod

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
That $2495 price on that Jokerz! seems high.  Depending on condition a price more around $1500 would be reasonable.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
And then there was...

...Donkey Kong.

This is actually a pretty good documentary about achieving the ultimate in Donkey Kong. Which essentially involves becoming a total social outcast.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Finrod

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
I've seen The King Of Kong-- it's apparently a bit over-dramatized, but not too badly.  Billy Mitchell is also the same guy that played the first ever perfect game of Pac-Man with a final score of 3,333,360 (the game crashes after level 255).

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
I'm so old that foosball was new when I was at university.  A buddy and I became quite proficient.  The challengers paid for the game, the losers bought the beer.  Many a night we had many rounds of beer stacked up before anyone beat us.

Otherwise it was pool.  After my wife and I were married we'd visit her folks.  Her dad had a pool table in the basement where he and I would retreat to enjoy beer and pool.  After our first couple of games he turned to me and said, "I see that you are another example of a mis-spent youth".  :supercool:
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
Heh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
I'm so old that foosball was new when I was at university.  A buddy and I became quite proficient.  The challengers paid for the game, the losers bought the beer.  Many a night we had many rounds of beer stacked up before anyone beat us.

I played backgammon in college for beer money, back when a 6-pack of Old Milwaukee was a buck fifty.  At $.10 a pip and using a doubling cube, my winnings added up pretty fast.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »

I played backgammon in college for beer money, back when a 6-pack of Old Milwaukee was a buck fifty.  At $.10 a pip and using a doubling cube, my winnings added up pretty fast.

Old Swill!  I remember it well...  I had a buddy who ran a delivery truck, he would sell me cases of Old Swill for $3! 

I'm glad my cheap beer days are well in the past...I prefer quality over quantity...but young folk, meh...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »

This was a fixture in my dorm room.  Less than $10 per case if I remember right.

RickZ

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
I'm glad my cheap beer days are well in the past...I prefer quality over quantity...but young folk, meh...

Back when I was in college, there wasn't much quality around and, as you say, it was quantity over quality to a great extant.  My splurge was Molson Export and Wednesday night $2.40 Heineken pitchers (Pabst pitchers were $1.20).  A couple of backgammon wins and I was set for the night.

Even the fancy restaurant I worked at had food that was inferior to what I make today.  Who ever heard of cooking shrimp twice?  That place did, and charged a good buck for that rubber.

One summer morning, off campus, I was cooking some shrimp my Mom had given me to make shrimp remoulade.  My upstairs neighbor, who I had a serious crush on, smelled the shrimp and came knocking.  We knocked back a few scotches while noshing on shrimp.  A woman drinking scotch -- before noon, no less.  Besides her good looks, any wonder why I had a crush?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Mmmmm shrimp remoulade, mmmmmmm! ;')

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:34 AM »

This was a fixture in my dorm room.  Less than $10 per case if I remember right.

Nice.

Schell was another I recall being popular.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »

Back when I was in college, there wasn't much quality around and, as you say, it was quantity over quality to a great extant.  My splurge was Molson Export and Wednesday night $2.40 Heineken pitchers (Pabst pitchers were $1.20).  A couple of backgammon wins and I was set for the night.

Even the fancy restaurant I worked at had food that was inferior to what I make today.  Who ever heard of cooking shrimp twice?  That place did, and charged a good buck for that rubber.

One summer morning, off campus, I was cooking some shrimp my Mom had given me to make shrimp remoulade.  My upstairs neighbor, who I had a serious crush on, smelled the shrimp and came knocking.  We knocked back a few scotches while noshing on shrimp.  A woman drinking scotch -- before noon, no less.  Besides her good looks, any wonder why I had a crush?

I don't have to wonder.   ;D

And talk about cheap beer, nothing but in my squid days...on base state-side a pitcher was $2 at the E-Club, had no need for a glass.  Overseas?  Fahgeddaboutit!

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
My recollection of cheap beer was $0.45 / Quart.  ::thumbsup::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
How 'bout Buckhorn beer? Ever have any of that swill?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:57:34 PM by oldcoastie6468 »
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.