Author Topic: those great old movies  (Read 3033 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: those great old movies
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Thanks, Z but we have the complete set. I have to admit the first one is my favorite. But ever since I watched that youtube vid you posted I've been longing to do a movie marathon of TTM series.

P? The Wizard of Oz?   ::facepalm::
I came to hate it when that movie was on.  In the 70's it seemed it was one of those films that was guaranteed to be on once a year as an "event" and boy, did we "have" to watch it on our house. Every year. Once we were on vacation and yep we watched in the hotel that night.

For me, it's one of those movies that once goes a loooong way.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Magnum

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
IDP nice summation on Rocky loved that movie but never thought in depth about it like you. Makes me like it all the more now.

I liked Dances with Wolves but another movie that came out about that time was Last of the Mohicans that I liked much more.

Most Gregory Peck movies  are what get me. Right now The Tow Jakes in on.(jack nickolson)

I love WWII movies. Recently I saw 12 O' Clock High and  Gregory Peck was great in that movie.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:17:41 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
IDP nice summation on Rocky loved that movie but never thought in depth about it like you. Makes me like it all the more now...

I'd be curious for anyone else to re-watch "Rocky" with a Christian message freshly in mind, and have them share their thoughts. The Christian allegory is so woven into the subtle details of the character that I think most people miss it. Whether it is absorbed unconsciously, I don't know. I just know I never saw it until I "saw" it, and then it was plain as day.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
P? The Wizard of Oz?   ::facepalm::
I came to hate it when that movie was on.  In the 70's it seemed it was one of those films that was guaranteed to be on once a year as an "event" and boy, did we "have" to watch it on our house. Every year. Once we were on vacation and yep we watched in the hotel that night.

For me, it's one of those movies that once goes a loooong way.

We looked forward to it back then (I'm in my early 50's). Just bought it on DVD ($3.99) & watched it w/ our kids. I love the "man behind the curtain" sequence & have often used it in Apologetics to describe the relationship of science (the man behind the elegant, sophisticated, mysterious curtain of facts, data & so-called "evidence") and theology.

Another [slightly] older movie, "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" (with an OZ throwback scene when the Soggy Bottom Boys ambush the KKK Color Guard - reminiscent of the Scarecrow & crew ambushing the witches guards).
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.