Author Topic: Devotionals  (Read 782 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Devotionals
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
With all the anticipation of bullets whizzing by & fending off roving bands of miscreants intent on acquiring your stash of food, I thought I'd start a "Devotionals" section. I pray that none of those whizzing projectiles hit ya'...but if they do, it's always a good idea to have an insurance policy for eternity.  ;)

It Is Your Life!
from Blackaby.net, October 19th, 2013
For it is not a futile thing for you, because it is your life, and by this word you shall prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to possess.
Deuteronomy 32:47

It’s puzzling that so many Christians try to live the Christian life without reading their Bible, except for sporadic perusals of God’s Word, seeking a pithy thought for the day. The Word of God is not merely a source of helpful suggestions, preventative warnings, or inspirational thoughts: It is life itself!

God gathered the children of Israel at the edge of the Promised Land to review their pilgrimage with Him. They had spent forty years in a desert because their parents had not trusted God’s word. Their parents died without seeing the Promised Land because they had not believed God’s word. Even the revered Moses was soon to leave them because he had not shown proper reverence for God’s word. Many of them knew those who had been put to death as a consequence of their disobedience to God’s word. Over the years God’s word had become the most important thing in the life of the Israelites.

God commanded His people to bind His words on their hearts, to teach them diligently to their children, and to regularly discuss them in their homes (Deut. 6:4-9). So essential was His word that it was to hold a prominent place in the daily lives of His people.
Our reverence for God’s Word is revealed not only by what we say but also by what we do. Spending more time reading and studying the words of people rather than the Word of God, reveals our hearts’ condition. To blatantly disregard God’s Word is to reject life itself. To obey God’s Word is the surest way to experience all that God has in store for us. 

Deuteronomy 6:4-9   

4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one![a] 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

[This will be an occasional posted section...when my personal devotions, done at http://www.blackaby.net/, strike me as helpful to others]
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Devotionals
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
Hear!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
Evidences.

@PablodeFleurs
There's something of #evidence, I think, in the eloquence of preachers vs. #atheists in pointing towards a #God who inspires vs. a rant.

When debating atheists, the subject of evidence for God's existence comes up often...as in "where IS the evidence of His existence?".

I like the concept of pointing to results within our lives. I'm just now, as we prepare dinner, listening to an mp3 sermon by Paul Tripp (http://paultripp.com/). And the eloquence & inspiration that he gleans from scripture (in the case of this sermon the book of Jonah) beats, hands down, the irate, hateful & mean-spirited rants that come from atheists like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett & the late Christopher Hitchens.

So I've dropped another Tweet in the general direction of atheism. We'll see what it catches.

;)
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
Ha! Didn't take long:

@Emma_J88
@PablodeFleurs What is so inspiring & uplifting  about eternal hell for billions again?

@PablodeFleurs
@Emma_J88 For #you, the inspiration should be to read God's Word & see if you might not escape it.
#Romans1_20

@Emma_J88
@PablodeFleurs There is nothing inspiring about a vengeful God who basically threatens "love me or burn"

@PablodeFleurs
@Emma_J88 He has provided a very painful [for Him]  method of escape for you, Em. Seems like you've made your choice, so be content w/ it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:27:19 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »