Author Topic: PSAT  (Read 1522 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
PSAT
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »
Apparently, kids are taking the PSAT today because I see it's trending on Twitter.

The kids' biggest complaint?  Having to write in cursive.

PSAT: "Copy the statement below in cursive

Trippy T ?@trippcamp   
hardest part of the PSAT by far was writing in cursive

Many posted pictures of what they think is a funny response to having to write in cursive.

PSAT--a money making joke; it's of no use. My college daughter skipped it and did fine on the ACT.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Re: PSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
I  don't think these tests are mandatory, unless you are pursuing higher education out of highschool. I didn't take the Psat's, but did take my SAT's, and did well. I got accepted to all the colleges,  i had applied for. I don't usually test well, but I did my best.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »
I can't remember if I took the PSATs or not. If I did, it was as an excuse to get out of my regular classes because I do remember they did PSATs during the normal school day unlike the SAT and ACT which forced you to give up a Saturday morning.

I had heard a few years ago that schools basically aren't even teaching cursive writing anymore. At all. Writing in what they call "print letters"? Once we learned to write in cursive we looked at "print" as something you did in kindergarten and 1st grade. It's just more dumbing down. Even if you could make the argument that cursive writing isn't a necessity for their intellectual development, it is unquestionably a type of knowledge that would connect them with people who came before them. I can't help but think the modern "educators'" hostility to cursive is at least partly motivated by their overarching desire to divorce society from its heritage, to unmoor it from history. How are these kids supposed to read anything written by people born before 1990? Pretty much anything that wasn't mechanically printed would have been done in handwritten script.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
How are these kids supposed to read anything written by people born before 1990?

They're not and you wrote why --

I can't help but think the modern "educators'" hostility to cursive is at least partly motivated by their overarching desire to divorce society from its heritage, to unmoor it from history.

Declaration of Independence, US Constitution -- these originals in cursive still exist ...... and the government holds them.

And it's part of the enstupidation; there are studies that show the intellectual and growth benefits of writing in cursive.  Just the fact that "writing" must now be described by "cursive" kills me; that's what handwriting is, not printing, script.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
There's really a beauty in well-done cursive.  I know it's common (and somewhat popular) to lament one's lack of cursive skills.

But putting that aside, think about the power of thoughts beautifully put to paper using cursive.  There's a majesty of reading the words.

The progressive wishes to cut off all from beauty, from thought, from what went before. Cursive is just one more thing getting in the way of the march towards dumbing down all.

I can't help but wonder how many more things we take for granted (and often complain about) that the progressives will (attempt to) take from us.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
I had never even heard the term, "cursive" until much later in life. What I learned was called, "writing" or "handwriting."

The funny thing is that I grew up, like most people here, in the pre-computer era and I first learned to print, then I learned to write and finally, I learned to print for real when I took drafting and engineering classes. You see...in the pre-computer era all of my drafting and engineering work had to be hand lettered and a big part of the grade was on making the lettering look so good that you couldn't tell if it was machine printed or hand printed. One of my engineering professors authored the freshman graphics text and every single illustration in the book was done by him, by hand. And it was amazing how good it was. The prof would hear bitching all the time about how hard it was to print well and how no one could do what he was demanding and then he would point to the text book...
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »
My mom made me practice printing and cursive.  I had to rewrite passages out of the Weekly Reader.  lol

It wasn't until I was an adult that I really appreciated it though. I'm the one people always ask to label files, or boxes or name tags etc.

I was so obsessed with the lettering on my school posters. I wanted them to look perfect.  My dad eventually gave me stencils that I loved using.

My mom never learned to print.  She learned cursive in 2nd grade. To this day she doesn't print.

As much as I love to write "pretty" I make sure when I'm signing something such as those awful, small screens at the store I scribble and make a mess of my signature.  ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:00:05 AM »
As much as I love to write "pretty" I make sure when I'm signing something such as those awful, small screens at the store I scribble and make a mess of my signature.

Oh, hello!  Ditto.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:46:20 AM »
As much as I love to write "pretty" I make sure when I'm signing something such as those awful, small screens at the store I scribble and make a mess of my signature.

Oh, hello!  Ditto.

Given my scrawl...that ain't hard to do!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »

Oh, hello!  Ditto.

Given my scrawl...that ain't hard to do!   ;D

I don't even try to sign my name. I just scrawl anything and it goes right through.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.