Author Topic: Bishop O’Connell to Congregation: “Jesus Was a Divine Immigrant”  (Read 1426 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
If I write about this what I'd like to, I'd have to ban myself.

Bishop David O’Connell of Trenton told his congregation on Sunday that Jesus was a “Divine Immigrant.”

(What the h*ll is he talking about?)

NCROnline reported:

Jesus was the “divine immigrant” who lived his life “traveling from place to place,” Bishop David O’Connell of Trenton told the congregation at a midday “Justice for Immigrants” Mass Oct. 11 at St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral.

“Sacred Scripture tell us where he was from and what his ancestral lineage was,” the bishop said in his homily. “But nowhere in the Bible do we find his permanent address, the location of his house, where he lived after beginning his public ministry.

“He lived and worked as an immigrant, an itinerant preacher, on many levels,” the bishop added.

With comprehensive immigration reform a high priority for many groups across the country, Catholics from throughout the Trenton diocese came together to join O’Connell at the downtown cathedral to pray and show their solidarity on the issue. Some 20 priests of the diocese were concelebrants.

O’Connell spoke of how important it was for the Catholic church to provide people with an opportunity to pray for positive movement on immigration. The Mass was coordinated by Catholic Charities and the diocesan Office of Catholic Social Services.

::gaah::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Bishop O’Connell to Congregation: “Jesus Was a Divine Immigrant”
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »
Crack don't smoke itself....

And this clown is a Bishop?  He must have gathered a lot of pics over the years to gain that post...certainly wasn't gained through more traditional means...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
So for the sake of argument, we all know that Jesus was a traveling man, for three years before his execution. Nations didn't have protected borders (some cities did), and Caesar's reach was everywhere Jesus ever went. Thus, for those three years, Jesus was more nomadic than an "immigrant".

But even saying that somehow being nomadic and being an immigrant are on par, what creates a comparison between Jesus Christ and illegal immigrants of today? There is no logical line to be drawn.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
So for the sake of argument, we all know that Jesus was a traveling man, for three years before his execution. Nations didn't have protected borders (some cities did), and Caesar's reach was everywhere Jesus ever went. Thus, for those three years, Jesus was more nomadic than an "immigrant".

But even saying that somehow being nomadic and being an immigrant are on par, how and what creates a comparison between Jesus Christ and illegal immigrants of today? There is no logical line to be drawn.

I believe He had a work visa.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
Idiocy knows no object.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Uhm...no. More like the Landlord's Son...come t'see what the tenants were doin' with Dad's vast, expansive estate.

Matthew 21:33-41 | New King James Version (NKJV)

The Parable of the Wicked Vinedressers

“Hear another parable: There was a certain landowner who planted a vineyard and set a hedge around it, dug a winepress in it and built a tower. And he leased it to vinedressers and went into a far country. 34 Now when vintage-time drew near, he sent his servants to the vinedressers, that they might receive its fruit. 35And the vinedressers took his servants, beat one, killed one, and stoned another. 36 Again he sent other servants, more than the first, and they did likewise to them. 37 Then last of all he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ 38 But when the vinedressers saw the son, they said among themselves, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him and seize his inheritance.’ 39 So they took him and cast him out of the vineyard and killed him.

40 “Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those vinedressers?”

They said to Him, “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease his vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him the fruits in their seasons.”

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt%2021:%2033-41&version=NKJV

...but if he wants t'go & use the immigrant analogy...

...then we'd best order a boatload of heavy wooden crosses...& a few million cases of nails.  ;)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
We, each & every human being on the planet past-present & future, are the "immigrants" as it were.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
The Mass was coordinated by Catholic Charities and the diocesan Office of Catholic Social Services.

::bashing::

that tells me a lot

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 07:19:01 AM »
Sure does.   ::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
 ::rockethrow:: ::gaah::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
The Catholic Church was thoroughly infiltrated by Marxists, for most of the 20th century. Some of the younger clergy seem to be trying to move back to tradition, and I hope they are successful. The middle age and older ones are garbage for the most part, inculcated in seminaries that were little more than homo bath houses. This isn't me being anti-Catholic either, the Protestant denominations are equally degenerate. Even the denomination of my upbringing (Southern Baptist) which supposedly has this reputation for stalwart conservatism, they've recently been buying into all the anti-gun bullcrap.

I think there's a yearning in this country for a resurgence of real religion. For religion that demonstrates itself to be God-fearing more than Government-fearing.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
I'm not a Catholic, but my wife is. A pastor she had was from Viet Nam; he had escaped from Viet Nam as a stowaway in a lifeboat on a British steamer. From England to the USA in Tennessee, to a wild and crazy youth, then to the priesthood. He is a 100% dyed in the wool American, and puts up with none of this crap.

He's been transferred to another church, and his replacement has the same values.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.