Author Topic: Taps - the Silence  (Read 796 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Taps - the Silence
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
Giving credit where credit is due, I received this yesterday from another CG friend.  In my opinion it's a beautiful version of Taps, played to a different level, performed by a 13 year old 'young lady'.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Taps - the Silence
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »
That is beautiful.

Gosh, the older I get, the less I'm able to put a finger on exactly why certain things bring me to tears. But that sure did.

I loved the moment, right before she hit the high note at the end, the conductor glanced at her with a firm and confident cue, as if to say, "Here it comes!"
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
I knew my pal Rusty would be a good fit here.

Thank you, Sir!  ::clapping::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:33 AM »
Did a little research on the young lady, Melissa Venema.  She is now 17 or 18, has other performances on utube, and in my opinion that was not one one time thing, she is very talented.  Going to check and see if she has recorded anything.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday