Author Topic: More on Gasifiers.  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: More on Gasifiers.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »
Not dinging you Weisshaupt, but it always makes me chuckle to see pronouncements like "and cheap too" associated with anything remotely green-friendly!

Yeah, $27k is cheap.  Now I fully understand the costs are all up front and that the benefits over time (well, somebody else's time, somebody younger than I!) more than recoup what would have been spent on conventional fossil fuels, hydro-electric and nuclear generated power, but still you have to pony up the cash and (fingers crossed) not ever experience any costly repairs or maintenance bills.

I like the idea of being off-grid independent, but present realities means this is not for everyone.

And perhaps in coming years and the SHTF is delayed more refinements in the technology may bring the cost down.  Worth keeping an eye on the developments though.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
Not dinging you Weisshaupt, but it always makes me chuckle to see pronouncements like "and cheap too" associated with anything remotely green-friendly!

27K is on par with a cheap PV system, plus the gas this makes  this can be used to run a car directly as well. It literally is powering standard combustion engines to make the electricity. You can just load this in your pickup,  hook a line to the gas tank, and you are driving using wood as a fuel.

You just need the dense  biomass, and some areas have it in spades.  No its isn't "cheap"  on a typical persons budget. Now 3-4 families in a camp...   the 10Kw generator is $20K, the 20Kw generator is $27K. but had I the spare coin, I would be getting one.. They also offer a DIY  kit for $7K.

Remember the value in this is having power/car fuel in a situation where neither is commercially available at an affordable price.  For day to day normal living?  Yeah. Useless.  After Teotwawki? Probably priceless.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »

27K is on par with a cheap PV system, plus the gas this makes  this can be used to run a car directly as well. It literally is powering standard combustion engines to make the electricity. You can just load this in your pickup,  hook a line to the gas tank, and you are driving using wood as a fuel.

You just need the dense  biomass, and some areas have it in spades.  No its isn't "cheap"  on a typical persons budget. Now 3-4 families in a camp...   the 10Kw generator is $20K, the 20Kw generator is $27K. but had I the spare coin, I would be getting one.. They also offer a DIY  kit for $7K.

Remember the value in this is having power/car fuel in a situation where neither is commercially available at an affordable price.  For day to day normal living?  Yeah. Useless.  After Teotwawki? Probably priceless.

Agreed.

And the DIY option if you can get a group together could be a good idea.  And as with everything in a post-SHTF world...those with have to protect theirs from those without.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.