Author Topic: Reading and JigSaw Puzzles  (Read 23409 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Reading and JigSaw Puzzles
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »
Can't do Golf, Hunting or Fishing anymore, because of health, so fell back to other things I enjoyed occasionally.   ::oldman::

Most puzzles are 1000 pieces, a few 1500 and 2000.  Have framed some.  Working on a 2000 right now.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Reading and JigSaw Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
Jigsaw puzzles are addictive.  And they have a vacuum around them once they're begun.  Can't walk by without being sucked in.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »
Jigsaw puzzles are addictive.  And they have a vacuum around them once they're begun.  Can't walk by without being sucked in.

That's the truth.  We go through phases around here with puzzles.  Once we start we go for weeks doing them then everyone gets tired of it and we don't do one for ages.  I loved them as kid, too.  I often use puzzles as an analogy when teaching my kids especially when they're learning a new concept.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
I love jigsaw puzzles too. The huger and more difficult, the better. I don't do them often precisely because they are so addictive to me, and because they take up room. We'll usually have one going once every other year or so, during the winter. I end up doing most of it, with others pitching in.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
They force you to stop don't they?  You can't hurry. And there's no just looking for just one piece either!

Ok, what's everyone's strategy?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
Nope.  It's always one more piece.

Strategery?  Pick out all the straight edges first and the four corners to make the frame; once that's done, separate the rest into colors.  We keep the cover picture handy to check against that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
Strategery?  Pick out all the straight edges first and the four corners to make the frame; once that's done, separate the rest into colors.  We keep the cover picture handy to check against that.

^^^
Exactly that. Sometimes during the color separation process, there's not a clear choice, and those all go into a pile themselves to be dealt with later. Then when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, and you're working on a section for which you've exhausted the possibilities in the separated color piles, the nondescript color pile comes into play.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
Nope.  It's always one more piece.

Good to hear I'm not the only nut -- Pandora, I do the same.  Unfortunately this 2000 I.m working on is from my sister and it's called Cookie Cutouts (Christmas) made by Springbok.  There no pattern to it.  If interested you can go to Springbok and scoll down to page 11 and see what I'm talking about.  Maybe I'll have it ready for her by Christmas but   ::whatgives::.  Most 1000 I can do in 3-4 days, but they have a pattern.  This one is a challenge. ::gaah::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 07:16:32 PM »
LOVE puzzles. I have tons of them....I heard this from a RN that works in a nursing home, that they are very good for the elderly. as it keeps their brain patterns active...Helps with preventing dementia and Alzheimer's.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
LOVE puzzles. I have tons of them....I heard this from a RN that works in a nursing home, that they are very good for the elderly. as it keeps their brain patterns active...Helps with preventing dementia and Alzheimer's.

Your brain patterns are still active?  ::hysterical::  :-*
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
Hahaha funny man!! :o

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Hahaha funny man!! :o

I wuz jus' askin'..........  ;)
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »
Finally finished the 2000 piece puzzle;

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:23:58 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
I had a cousin who would secretly squirrel away two or three pieces so that after everything else was done he could be the one to finish the thing off.

He was a real ass.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »
nice, rusty

you've inspired me to dig out a puzzle that we haven't opened yet

my problem is finding a place to leave it out as we have limited table space around here

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 11:02:22 PM »
I had a cousin who would secretly squirrel away two or three pieces so that after everything else was done he could be the one to finish the thing off.

He was a real ass.

Cousin Ass.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »
Every family has one.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
Every family has one.

we got extra 
 ::facepalm::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
Okay, I should've said at least one.