Author Topic: 37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
Ran across this site the other day on Pinterest - great site w/ some great tips. I like this article in particular: 37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks. http://howtosurviveit.com/survival-prepping-hacks/

I love the battery tip especially. Who knew?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: 37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
Good one on the batteries!

I like this one, too ...

"... turn your headlamp inward, facing a 5–gallon jug of water. Between the translucency of the plastic and refraction of the water, light gets bounced all over the place, creating an area light similar to a lantern, rather than a focused beam like a flashlight."
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Yep. Genius - yet so simple!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
How to open a can without a can opener

Open a can with no can opener.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
Very cool!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »
like that
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
This one got me.  Sheer genius.  Or necessity.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
Great stuff!  Thanks for posting.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »
You bet!

Rick Z - I love the TP idea too. You're avatar is better though.  ::thumbsup::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
There's some gems in there. Some more practical than others. Some less "survival" than others. For instance, making a boat our of plastic bottles. That's a novelty more than anything else.

Pretty cool stuff.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Yep, definitely. The boat thing is a bit much.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
I like the fish hooks out of the pop tops.  Not that I'd have those laying around (we don't drink much canned soda) but it's the kind of thing that would get me to thinking.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
Yep - the pop tops idea is great. I also find the idea of burning Doritos pretty interesting as well as the Crisco idea.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
Yeah, the Crisco candle is a good one, and seems like it would work.

I'd need to see the pop-top fishhooks in action before I'd believe their efficacy. A finely machine-honed fishhook doesn't guarantee a hookset, and even slightly dulled, your odds of penetration go way down.

I just don't see a way in a dire-straits scenario to cut a pop-top and sharpen it to the degree necessary to be an effective tool that would provide any measure of success.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
I agree. My husband fishes a lot (I fish also but not as much as him) and I just can't picture it being effective. Like you, I'd have to see it in action. The comments at the end are pretty interesting as well.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
I thought it was questionable that it was enough of a hook but liked that it got me to thinking. The spices in the tic tac boxes I thought was kind of silly.

RickZ

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
My one question regarding the Crisco candle is how do you stuff the wick straight through the center to the bottom of the can?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
I thought it was questionable that it was enough of a hook but liked that it got me to thinking. The spices in the tic tac boxes I thought was kind of silly.

Right. Only makes sense if you're using bulk, and if you want a spice container for bulk, buy one round in the ready made shaker, and use that to refill.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
My one question regarding the Crisco candle is how do you stuff the wick straight through the center to the bottom of the can?

I wonder if you soaked it in wax a couple times if that would give it enough tension.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

I wonder if you soaked it in wax a couple times if that would give it enough tension.

Maybe first poke the center with a soda straw (or even a stick would probably do) and then put the wick in?