Author Topic: 37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
Re: 37 Awesome Survival/Prepping Hacks
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
I thought it was questionable that it was enough of a hook but liked that it got me to thinking. The spices in the tic tac boxes I thought was kind of silly.

My Dad grows and dries his own herbs and gives them out at Christmas time in his leftover prescription bottles that he accumulates over the year. He just takes off the script sticker and replaces it with a regular label. Works like a champ - and holds a heckuva lot more than tiny tic-tac bottles.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
Although it would be messy I would probably just scoop out the center then hold the wick in the center as I added back the grease. Might be easier if a 2nd person was holding the wick as I spooned the grease back in.

Or stick a knife down the center and make a tunnel, drop the wick in and then use the knife to push grease back into the tunnel.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »
I thought it was questionable that it was enough of a hook but liked that it got me to thinking. The spices in the tic tac boxes I thought was kind of silly.

I did too. On the other hand, I found a brand of (dry) kittie food that comes in a plastic container with a lid large enough to allow me to refill them with charcoal briquettes. They can be tossed in the river without getting damp, which means last years charcoal is as fresh as last weeks.

Easy (clean!) to transport and dole out too ;')

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »
Does Crisco float in water?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »
Alphabet Soup - yep, I know what you mean. We have some Milk Bone containers that we usually use as camping kits. Great for keeping stuff dry and just big enough to be able to store a good amt of whatever you need to keep dry.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
  I use juice bottles(plastic) and ice tea gallon jugs to store rice in and it works real well for me so far.I started hanging on to the moisture absorbers that come in Asperin bottles and the like to add to the rice.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
My one question regarding the Crisco candle is how do you stuff the wick straight through the center to the bottom of the can?

I wonder if you soaked it in wax a couple times if that would give it enough tension.

Maybe first poke the center with a soda straw (or even a stick would probably do) and then put the wick in?

Find a stick about 14 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter, cut a notch in 1 end and tie a knot in one end of your "wick".  Stick the knotted end of the wick in the notch and string the wick up the length of the stick, then push the stick to the bottom of the crisco.  when you pull the stick out the wick will stay in the crisco.  viola
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »
My one question regarding the Crisco candle is how do you stuff the wick straight through the center to the bottom of the can?

I wonder if you soaked it in wax a couple times if that would give it enough tension.

Maybe first poke the center with a soda straw (or even a stick would probably do) and then put the wick in?

Find a stick about 14 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter, cut a notch in 1 end and tie a knot in one end of your "wick".  Stick the knotted end of the wick in the notch and string the wick up the length of the stick, then push the stick to the bottom of the crisco.  when you pull the stick out the wick will stay in the crisco.  viola

Sounds good, but I am more of a cello fan..... ::unknowncomic::
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
The Water bottle lantern made me think of this.

These are being used in poor countries to lighten up their hovels.  I thought it was pretty interesting. Water bottles, a bit of bleach to prevent bacteria build-up and you've got lights!  Useless at night, but all in all a decent idea.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
I've seen a piece on that elsewhere.  Lots of folks who have incorporated them in their dwellings have no windows, so the places are that dark even during the day without electricity, which is scarce and expensive.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
I've seen a piece on that elsewhere.  Lots of folks who have incorporated them in their dwellings have no windows, so the places are that dark even during the day without electricity, which is scarce and expensive.

Solar powered lawn lights brought inside at night would go a long way to light it up at night and then toss them out in the sun during the day. Cheap and effective.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 01:11:32 AM »

Solar powered lawn lights brought inside at night would go a long way to light it up at night and then toss them out in the sun during the day. Cheap and effective.

Also very short life span. The ones my wife and her sister used lasted from less than a year to 2 yrs max.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

Also very short life span. The ones my wife and her sister used lasted from less than a year to 2 yrs max.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422026_200422026

how about this.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422026_200422026

how about this.

Looks like good reviews.

And for dry storage, we have peanut butter jars. A bunch. Or course we have teen-age boys who almost live on peanut butter.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson