Author Topic: Wisconsin Woman Kicked Out of Hotel After 9 Years  (Read 2591 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Wisconsin Woman Kicked Out of Hotel After 9 Years
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
link
A woman who had been living at a Wisconsin hotel for nine years checked out this week after she racked up a $28,000 tab and the hotel tried to evict her.

Jana Ganjian, 64, left the Racine Marriott on her own accord, Sheriff Christopher Schmaling told ABC affiliate WISN.

The reclusive woman had tapped out her savings since moving into the Marriott after her life was turned upside down in 2004, WISN reported. Ganjian's attorney had tried to file a motion with a judge earlier this week to remain at the hotel, but the judge didn't get to it on time, prompting the eviction notice to take effect on Thursday.

"It's a cliché, I know," Ganjian told WISN. "But it feels like a nightmare to me that I can't wake from."

It was unclear where Ganjian moved to.

Ganjian was out of work due to a chronic illness and she moved to the hotel because they provided valuable services she could not find anywhere else, WISN reported.

That's the part that cracked me up.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Wisconsin Woman Kicked Out of Hotel After 9 Years
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
What the hell? Couldn't they just deactivate the key-card? Did they wash her sheets and towels too?
 ::thinking::
I'm not understanding something.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:00:41 AM »
Sounds like some degree of mental illness might be involved too. A lot of problems like homeless are really just secondary problems of untreated mental illness, following on from the ACLU's case in the late 70s or early 80s that resulted in mental hospitals being emptied of patients. It's now very difficult to get someone hospitalized for mental reasons, so they just end up as the flotsam of the streets.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:26:50 AM »
LV, you left out the best quote:

When contacted by ABC News, hotel officials declined to comment on the eviction.

"As a matter of guest privacy we don't discuss details of our guests' stay," said Jeff Flaherty, senior director of corporate relations of Marriott International Inc.

Guest?  WTF?  I knew freeloaders in families can be 'guests' but I never knew freeloaders in hotels were guests.  I thought they were thieves stealing a room and services from the hotel.

Privacy for everyone except the law-abiding.  Talk about a rabbit hole.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:51:39 AM »
So, a mentally ill person had an attorney ready to go, to file paperwork to force a business to provide services to his client for free?

Should this post be merged with the ObamaCare thread?

/s
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »
When contacted by ABC News, hotel officials declined to comment on the eviction.

"As a matter of guest privacy we don't discuss details of our guests' stay," said Jeff Flaherty, senior director of corporate relations of Marriott International Inc.

Who's looking for details? How about some macro-information - like how in the hell did somebody stay at your hotel for 9 years without paying?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
Sounds like some degree of mental illness might be involved too. A lot of problems like homeless are really just secondary problems of untreated mental illness, following on from the ACLU's case in the late 70s or early 80s that resulted in mental hospitals being emptied of patients. It's now very difficult to get someone hospitalized for mental reasons, so they just end up as the flotsam of the streets.
With that thought in mind, how hard will it be to get the mental defective Obama family out of the Spite House in three years?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
I went looking for how she was paying.  Looks like SS--but obviously that wasn't enough. At $89 per night that's around $32,000 per year. Obviously, the hotel employees didn't want to deal with this situation.

but after two loans were exhausted she ran out of options to pay.

Silva said she grew up as Ganjian's sister. Ganjian said she's without family.

"You know, my mom is gone. She's my big sister. You know, (I) try to have a relationship with her, and she didn't want it," Silva said.

Silva said she was never formally adopted and when their father died, had no legal standing in the family, but she said extended family has helped Ganjian in the past. That's why Silva said she's coming forward now.

"After reading the stories, I want the truth to come out, that you know she's not what she seems to be," Silva said.

Sater asked Silva if Ganjian asked her for help now, would she help her?

"I would say no. I mean, I don't know if she has any friends or anything else," Silva said.
link

Ganjian reportedly has been paying $89 a day, with the help of Social Security disability benefits, to stay at the Racine Marriott in Mount Pleasant, but the hotel sought to evict her after she filed for bankruptcy in August. Ganjian said that although she reached the highest level under Marriott's rewards points program, she wasn't allowed to apply those points to her stay.
link

Ganjian explained that after she lost her job, she had no choice but to move into the luxurious hotel as she has no family, no friends were able to take her in and she could not get a loan.
'I had no vision of staying for nine and a half years,' she added to WISN. 'But with no family, no longer with a home, the hotel became home and the staff became family.'

She said that she was able to make some of the $89-per-day fees with her monthly disability benefits, which total at $783, but that she could not afford all of them.

link

She hasn't left the Marriott in months.

"I haven't because of the fear of not being allowed back in. So I have neglected, severely neglected my health," Ganjian said.

Ganjian lost a court fight to stay in the room until she could get subsidized housing lined up, and now, has nowhere to go when the sheriff arrives Thursday to evict her.

"And until we can get her into subsidized housing and get her approved, she's in this situation where she could be homeless," Ganjian's attorney, Joseph Seifert said.

"You literally don't know where you're going to be tomorrow night?" WISN 12 News reporter Nick Bohr asked.

"Literally, literally. It is about as bad as it can get," Ganjian said.

The Marriott website shows the nightly rate there for Thursday is $169. Ganjian's attorney estimates she's spent more than $300,000 there
http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-wisconsin/racine-kenosha/checkout-time-looms-for-racine-woman-living-in-hotel/-/10151828/22602656/-/98jpcx/-/index.html#ixzz2iq1Gqvll]link[/url]
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »
It looks like she is on Social Security/disability due to a disorder similar to lupus and lost her home in 2004 due to foreclosure. According to this article she ended up in the ER a day after she left the hotel.

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/eviction-is-on-track-at-racine-marriott/article_8096480e-3cbc-11e3-9edf-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »
So she couldn't get an apartment somewhere? It would have been far less than $89 per day, that's for sure.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »
So she couldn't get an apartment somewhere? It would have been far less than $89 per day, that's for sure.

that seems odd doesn't it?

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »
I know a couple of people who live in hotels/motels. It is kinda unfair,really. . I realize things are included are the rent, however, regular guests are paying 100.00 or more a night, and regular tenants are paying $500.00 a month. Don't get me going!!! ::pullhair::