Author Topic: CDC - The Age of Anti-Biotics is at an end  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
CDC - The Age of Anti-Biotics is at an end
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477273/Weve-reached-end-antibiotics-Top-CDC-expert-declares-miracle-drugs-saved-millions-match-superbugs-people-overmedicated-themselves.html

Swell.

Blame people, blame Big Pharma...

What people want is answers and a new line of attack...

WTF y'all do with our taxpayer money?  Fund junkets and come up with more ways to not help people?  Seriously, WTF good are ya?

Time to defund this outfit?  Maybe private enterprise will come to the rescue.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: CDC - The Age of Anti-Biotics is at an end
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »
The real problem with antibiotics is: People stop taking them before the prescription is empty. So the bugs are not killed but live to develop an increasing resistance to the antibiotic.

Additionally, people demand antibiotics for viruses; they have no effect on viruses.

And many doctors are just stupid enough to prescribe them for almost anything just to get patients off their backs.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
I have had just the opposite experience; they've pushed antibiotics at me when they *know* they aggravate the Crohn's: "we (love the "we") may have to have you on antibiotics".  I told her "we" are doing nothing of the kind".

If it's a "may", it's not a necessity, I figure, and until it's an imperative, it ain't happening.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
I have had just the opposite experience; they've pushed antibiotics at me when they *know* they aggravate the Crohn's: "we (love the "we") may have to have you on antibiotics".  I told her "we" are doing nothing of the kind".

My sister has had the same problem with her Crohn's.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
It's seems many doctors don't consider side effects to be of much importance.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

Truth, I swear.

I was having a periodontal procedure done and the Doc wanted me on antibiotics beforehand -- prophylactic -- and he prescribed a Z-Pac.  So I read the mice-type and found that a month or more afterward after ceasing to take it, the drug "may" cause diarrhea. 

::saywhat::

Does anybody know what "fixes" that (provided it doesn't proceed to C-Diff)?  If anybody guessed "another antibiotic", go to the head of the class.

My next encounter with said Doc sort of went like this, "are you CRAZY?!  Y'all want an extensive list of what drugs your patients are on, and for what condition, and then you don't even rantrantrantrantrant .....!"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

For some - nothing more than quacks - it will ensure continued treatment of the patient, with the associated fees.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

For some - nothing more than quacks - it will ensure continued treatment of the patient, with the associated fees.

This is why many people are on several Rx because they take one drug and have to take others to counter side effects.  Of course, we all understand life-saving usage of Rx. But many of these things only shorten the inconvenience of being ill or are more "life-style" drugs.

One of my kids is allergic to penicillin and the doc prescribed an alternative (she had a verified infection).  The information for this med said that the side effects, some of which were very serious and could require hospitalization, could occur up to SIX MONTHS after taking! Of course, I didn't know this before I bought it.  I threw it out and called the doctor to try again. This for a 10 year old!!  ::pullhair::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
The real problem with antibiotics is: People stop taking them before the prescription is empty. So the bugs are not killed but live to develop an increasing resistance to the antibiotic.

The corollary to this is, Doctors prescribe for 10 days when 3 weeks is required.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).