Author Topic: Obama is the new Hoover  (Read 2128 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Obama is the new Hoover
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »
Just to recap the facts:

Obamacare mandates all but 15% of insurance company revenues be spent on "healthcare"; the remaining 15% for overhead, shareholders, etc.

All policies are mandated to cover every wart and sniffle -- doesn't matter if you're a man of any age or a woman past child-bearing -- maternity/well-child/vaccines/accupuncture and on and on and on must be included.  This coverage is not free, of course, so those not using it will pay for it, which means soaring premiums, for the benefit of those who need it but will not pay.

In addition, there is a Federal tax levied on every medical insurance company; I am unsure how much that is.

Do I have that about right and have I missed anything?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
oldcoastie,

The insurance companies are not dropping people from their policies.  They are outright terminating those policies/plans because of OwebamaCare.  As Pan states, policies must now cover things that some people never needed and which policies never covered.  Those plans are now illegal.  So those dropped must pick another plan that is OwebamaCare compliant, which is to say, more expensive.  These other plans have higher premiums as well as outrageous deductibles.  But this is all part of the 'Democrat long game' to control the American people.

Seriously, you can't blame the insurance companies for this clusterfukc.  They are trying to stay in business and make a profit while our government works against them and the profit motive.  Once the insurance industry implodes from the onerous regulations they must now include in policies, the government will step in, because capitalism failed, and institute single payer, which is the Democrat Party holy grail/wet dream.  Then we won't have to worry about choosing a plan.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Just to recap the facts:

Obamacare mandates all but 15% of insurance company revenues be spent on "healthcare"; the remaining 15% for overhead, shareholders, etc.

All policies are mandated to cover every wart and sniffle -- doesn't matter if you're a man of any age or a woman past child-bearing -- maternity/well-child/vaccines/accupuncture and on and on and on must be included.  This coverage is not free, of course, so those not using it will pay for it, which means soaring premiums, for the benefit of those who need it but will not pay.

In addition, there is a Federal tax levied on every medical insurance company; I am unsure how much that is.

Do I have that about right and have I missed anything?

IIRC there are also taxes (sales) on certain items.  Cabelas for one is drawing fire for itemizing the tax on receipts so people know where that bullsh*t is going.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Fritz Pettyjohn

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
According to a Gallup poll posted on 1-11-13, Repubs favor Congressional term limits 82-15, independents 79-17, and Dems 65-29.  And I think today, nine months later, support would be even higher.
And we're not just talking about term limits.  Once a constitutional convention was held, and term limits passed, we would have established a precedent, and the other "Liberty Amendments" proposed by Mark Levin could be taken up in a series of conventions.  Power would have been returned to the states, and the people. 
Politically speaking, it would be revolutionary.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »
who would be at this constitutional convention voting?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Fritz Pettyjohn

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Delegates would either be selected by the state legislatures, or elected by the people.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
who would be at this constitutional convention voting?

First, it's not really a constitutional convention per the usual term; it's an amendments convention. 

... Article V of the U.S. Constitution gives states the power to call an amendments convention. If at least 34 states call for a convention, they could consider (for example - P.)the National Debt Relief Amendment. The NDRA contains 18 simple, yet extremely powerful words — "An increase in the federal debt requires approval from a majority of the legislatures of the separate States.” Three-fourths of the states, 38 of them, would have to vote to approve the NDRA or any amendment considered at an amendments convention.

... The U.S. Constitution would not be rewritten by delegates to such a convention.

http://goldwaterinstitute.org/articlev

Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/article-v.html

Second, the State governments appoint delegates to go the convention.

We don't need Congress, the president, the courts or any other "authority" to do this.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks, Pan.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
... Obamacare legally requires all health insurance plans to include a certain number of benefits that was above and beyond what many more, ahem, affordable plans offered, thereby making certain plans illegal.

Many of those plans were plans that people liked and were assured they could keep. Obamacare offered a “grandfathering” clause, which the administration later eviscerated after it had served its political purpose, ensuring even more people would lose their current coverage.

So, no change is required by you under Obamacare unless your insurance company goes and changes your existing plan to comply with Obamacare.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/28/valerie-jarrett-obamacare-doesnt-force-you-off-your-plan-your-insurance-company-does-by-complying-with-obamacare/

The existing plans were grandfathered (until 2014) unless they changed anything, but then ....

The law states that policies in effect as of March 23, 2010 will be “grandfathered,” meaning consumers can keep those policies even though they don’t meet requirements of the new health care law. But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date — the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example — the policy would not be grandfathered.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/28/question-for-jay-carney-didnt-obama-lie-when-he-told-people-if-you-like-your-plan-you-can-keep-your-plan/

So, any attempt to comply with the law renders the policy illegal.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
According to a Gallup poll posted on 1-11-13, Repubs favor Congressional term limits 82-15, independents 79-17, and Dems 65-29.  And I think today, nine months later, support would be even higher.
And we're not just talking about term limits.  Once a constitutional convention was held, and term limits passed, we would have established a precedent, and the other "Liberty Amendments" proposed by Mark Levin could be taken up in a series of conventions.  Power would have been returned to the states, and the people. 
Politically speaking, it would be revolutionary.

I want to make clear that I am with you 100% Fritz, re; the things that must be tried. I just have reservations about hoping for their success, for the reasons detailed on my last post on the first page of the thread.

Compound that with impending fiscal disaster unlike anything the nation has seen, and our back is rally and thoroughly against the wall. I do not have confidence that there is enough time to play out a political strategy that resulted in favorable constitutional amendments, and then for those amendments to have the desired effect.

I think the coup de grace dagger has been thrust, and the nation is gasping in air waiting for the blade to twist. Still, we must fight, just as you say.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson