Author Topic: is obama still president?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline whimsicalmamapig

is obama still president?
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
Did anyone happen to read the article by VDH today. In it he implies that the country is running on autopilot and the fact that the POTUS is an incompetent boob and/or malicious liar, has little impact since most of the world has tuned him out as inconsequential. the article was in National Review. It portends a great power grab, not by the other2 branches of our balance of power tripod as so greatly envisioned by our founding fathers, but one by an unelected, bureaucracy that is so entrenched with its government unions as to be unassailable.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: is obama still president?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
The bureaucrats and their fiefdoms -- this is my worry about term limits.  They must be dealt with.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
The media, and the bureaucracies, IYKWIMAITYD.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
Yes, I do know.

OT:  I've been thinking of starting an acronym thread and pinning it.  What say y'all.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
Yes, I do know.

OT:  I've been thinking of starting an acronym thread and pinning it.  What say y'all.

I think it's a fine idea. Sometimes I forget 'em.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
Mark Levin refers to the bureaucratic state as the 4th branch of government. He's right about that. The regulatory bureaucracy is more of a threat to liberty than any of the official branches. There's no real accountability, and they even have the nerve to claim that they're not political hirelings, but "civil servants". They issue regulations with the full force of law, but there's no check and balances there. They have a perfunctory public comment period, and aren't bound to abide any of it anyway.

We have to return to first principles: the Congress cannot give away power that it does not itself possess. A lot of what they have theoretically authorized the bureaucracy to do was not theirs to delegate in the first place.

The bureaucracy is definitely the most dangerous element of government. What real accountability is there? They're not elected, and even if you sue them all they do is bring to bear the virtually unlimited legal resources that your taxes paid for. If they lose in court, awards likewise come from your taxes. No skin off their noses.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Val Jar has always been the power behind Owebama, making decisions Owebama claims as his own.  Ii's been rumored she ordered the stand down when Benghazi happened and that she was opposed to the bin Laden raid and tried to stop it.  She's a crony Chicago thug slum lord.  I put nothing past that Iranian born scrunt.

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
I am presently re-reading "The Inheritance of Rome" by Chris Wickham. it is a recent analysis of the area encompassing what had been the roman empire from 500 - 1000 ad.  What is striking is that as the empire faded in the west but continued strong in the east the bureaucracies of both were the most lasting. In the east, it was the efficiency of the bureaucracy that maintained the empire an extra 1000 years, and in the west it was the vestiges of the bureaucracy, assimilated into the hierarchy of the christian church that provided the merging of barbarian cultures with what was left of roman culture.

It just goes to show you that while emperors/presidents may come and go and governments rise and fall, those arcane bean counters and tax collectors go on and on and on and on......
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:09:11 PM by whimsicalmamapig »
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Yes, our other thread left out the bureaucrats...glad that oversight is corrected here, their complicity will not be forgotten.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
Yes, I do know.

That would be great!  ::thumbsup::

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
Yes, I do know.

That would be great!  ::thumbsup::
Ditto
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Fritz Pettyjohn

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
Term limits will not further empower the bureaucracy.  Congress as presently constituted has proven itself completely incapable of controlling it.  Rotation in office couldn't make it any worse, and offers hope of change, which we really don't have now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
Term limits will not further empower the bureaucracy.  Congress as presently constituted has proven itself completely incapable of controlling it.  Rotation in office couldn't make it any worse, and offers hope of change, which we really don't have now.

By not making it worse that is a win?  A push is still a loss...it's just a lag in recognition...there is no such thing as a static Federal bureaucracy...it will always grow larger because spending always increases one year over the previous...always...and anybody hear of a Federal program ever being axed?  Yeah me neither, and I see little term limits will do to prevent any of that.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
I'm not against term limits outright, but there are inherent downsides, such as time-limiting the input of effective and decent people - few though they may be.

And Libertas is right about the nature of bureaucracy. If the only people in government who have job security, longevity, and experience are bureaucrats, I shudder the thought.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »

The founder never intended politics to be a career.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »
I'm not against term limits outright, but there are inherent downsides, such as time-limiting the input of effective and decent people - few though they may be.

It seems to me the really good ones term-limit themselves at this point; see Jim DeMint.  I understand the inherent downsides, such as if there's no chance of re-election, the bad ones are free to totally go rogue.  On the other hand, the good ones are free as well to do the right thing.  And the perpetual campaigning for re-election will end as well.

And Libertas is right about the nature of bureaucracy. If the only people in government who have job security, longevity, and experience are bureaucrats, I shudder the thought.

Congress ceded too much of its authority to all of these agencies and that needs to be rectified.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »
I am 100% Pro-Term Limits.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Term limits would encourage even more politicians to say whatever they need to to get elected, and have no fear of doing exactly the opposite once in office. The ONLY leverage the people have over politicians is the threat of electoral consequences, and that leverage is a twig under a boulder as it is. Term limits would give politicians all the leverage to act with impunity.

That is one downside among the many up and down sides.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
Maybe once, but that should educate the voters regarding who to elect.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »
OK, now perhaps it was unintentional on your part but that really made me chuckle!!!