Author Topic: Band loses college gig because 'too white'  (Read 1365 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Band loses college gig because 'too white'
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
I am so SICK of this shiite.

A popular jazz band named Shokaboza that "blends jazz and old school funk, with a West African beat" has just been told by Hampshire College in Massachusetts that it is "too white" to be allowed to perform a scheduled Halloween party gig on campus. Gawker reports:

In a statement released by Shokazoba shortly after the abrupt cancellation, the band blamed "30 students" who complained "that we were too white to play Afro-beat."

The school's HYPE Committee, which organized Friday's Hampshire Halloween event, released its own statement saying it made the decision to pull the "predominantly white" Shokazoba from the line-up after students expressed concerns "about cultural appropriation and the need to respect marginalized cultures."

Though the school claims the decision was "not based on the band's racial identity" but rather "on the intensity and tone" of the "increasingly aggressive" comments left on the committee's Facebook page, Shokazoba insists it was "discriminated against by people who had never even met us or heard one note of our music."

The excuse offered by the committee amounts to yielding to a digital racist mob, and nothing more. If intensity and tone of critics, not logic and fact are to rule, then we have mob rule.

Imagine if a string quartet with black members had a performance of a Beethoven strong quartet cancelled because they were "too black" to perform music from a German composer. The outcry would be deafening.

... The fact that a mostly (bit {sic} not exclusively) white band plays music originally created by African Americans is a tribute, not an "appropriation." Should the Japanese be denied the right to perform Beethoven? Somebody should tell Mitsuko Uchida, whose renditions of Beethoven's piano concertos delight audiences all over the world. She is considered one of the world's foremost interpreters of the classical piano repertoire.

Hampshire College obviousl.y has a guilty conscience, or at least is worried about a lawsuit:

Despite the cancellation, Hampshire College planned to pay Shokazoba in full for their trouble.

Hampshire College ought to be pilloried for its execrable racism. No respectable person should have anything to do with it.

::gaah::   ::angry::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Band loses college gig because 'too white'
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
Imagine if a string quartet with black members had a performance of a Beethoven strong quartet cancelled because they were "too black" to perform music from a German composer. The outcry would be deafening.

^^^^
THAT.

Thing is, this is sooooo obvious on its face. The Leftists know this, and still adhere to their "racism for thee but not for me" bullsh*t.

...and then, the universities, IYKWIMAITYD.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
The fact that a mostly (bit {sic} not exclusively) white band plays music originally created by African Americans is a tribute, not an "appropriation."

This is of a racist piece with the demands by many blacks that white teachers not be allowed to teach black history month, that they have no business teaching black history to black students.

I know I'd sue the shyt out of that school for their blatant racism.  Maybe all students need FIRE on speed dial.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
PC/diversity/multi-culti cult applies only to the benefit of non-whites not whites, as every good leftist tool knows only white folk gots raciss issues...

God, but I hate this trash!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Using another example from that, imagine if the Asian Studies Department (yes, every overpriced, under performing college has such, including Hampshire) worked to prevent Mitsuko Uchida from performing, because she doesn't know her place.  Which I would guess includes playing a bamboo flute while dressed in a Kimono. 

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
The article doesn't say but are there other campus bands that are the right race to play that music?

;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
Sure is a lot of stupidity in places of so called halls of "higher" learning. 

Wow,  sooooooooo dumb on so many levels.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »
Sure is a lot of stupidity in places of so called halls of "higher" learning. 

Wow,  sooooooooo dumb on so many levels.

As Dennis Prager often says, there is no higher concentration on Earth of highly educated people without wisdom or common sense, as there is at the university.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson