Author Topic: Is there a toxic nuclear dump near you?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Is there a toxic nuclear dump near you?
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-30/there-radioactive-waste-land-your-back-yard

Looks like I am relatively safe!   ::whoohoo::

But is any of the nearby plants get attacked or something...   ::speechless::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Is there a toxic nuclear dump near you?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
I saw something last week that said Illinois was the worst in the nation.

Only the Shadow knows, and he ain't talkin'.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-30/there-radioactive-waste-land-your-back-yard

That map doesn't seem to list Rocky Flats on it.  How accurate could it be?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

That map doesn't seem to list Rocky Flats on it.  How accurate could it be?

Probably because the toxic leftovers were moved...from your Wiki link -

"The last contaminated building was removed and the last weapons-grade plutonium was shipped out in 2003, ending the cleanup based on a modified cleanup agreement."

What's left in the soil must not be as much of a threat as the other stuff stored around the nation.

I say all that waste should just be dumped in MuzzieLand and set ablaze...the perfect two-fer!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
I can think of 5 dumps within 50 miles of us.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
There's a massive one across the river from Arlington, VA.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
Am I reading it correctly that the yellow dots are the ones to be concerned about?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »

"The last contaminated building was removed and the last weapons-grade plutonium was shipped out in 2003, ending the cleanup based on a modified cleanup agreement."

What's left in the soil must not be as much of a threat as the other stuff stored around the nation.

I say all that waste should just be dumped in MuzzieLand and set ablaze...the perfect two-fer!

Then where is the little brown dot saying clean up is complete?
 I don't get overly  bent out of shape by radiation-  I live in Colorado, where the background is naturally higher.  Not to mention we are that much closer to  the big flaming hydrogen fusion ball and with that much less atmosphere to protect us. But there is no doubt in my mind that Rocky Flats is still hotter than the surrounding land.  When they were doing the "clean up" the rad meter the the public library near Standley Lake in  Arvada shows a HUGE spike on the little paper print out at that time ( with a little sign that says those results should be disregarded - with no explanation as to why)

I lived quite close to there till I moved. Yes, I tested by house with a Geiger counter for radiation levels ( which include everything -including Plutonium, Radon, Uranium in the clay, etc. )  and what I found was that I get more background radiation when I am at my TEOTWAWKI residence in the mountains, then when I was living in this home.

Its an alpha emitter, so it only really harm you if you ingest it ( like Radon when you breath it) and with a half life of 24,000 years, You will be waiting awhile for a decay that could have some chance of harming you.   Yes, it stays in the the body a long time if ingested, but half of Denver is not dying of ancer 10 years later so.... its probably not as dangerous as its being made out to be. (they are trying to build a Highway through there now, and the greenies are trying to stop it.. using maps of airborne contamination from the 1970s-- that stuff is  long gone guys- they close the Highway leading to rocky flats quite often because of high winds)  The pad 903 leakage is the one to worry about. It seeps into the soil and went who knows where after that. Point is,  this one should definitely be on that map somewhere.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »
Am I reading it correctly that the yellow dots are the ones to be concerned about?

"Status unclear" can't be good!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
Illinois Biggest Atomic Dump as U.S. Fails to Pick Site
By Brian Wingfield - Oct 24, 2013 11:00 PM CT

U.S. lawmakers have debated for decades where to put all the spent fuel generated by the nation’s nuclear power plants. The dithering means that an unintended site has emerged: Illinois.

About 13 percent of America’s 70,000 metric tons of the radioactive waste is stashed in pools of water or in special casks at the atomic plants in Illinois that produced it, according to the Nuclear Energy Institute, a Washington-based industry group. That’s the most held in any state.

Across the country, atomic power plants “have become de facto major radioactive waste-management operations,” Robert Alvarez, a former adviser to Energy Department secretaries during President Bill Clinton’s administration, said in a phone interview.

With no place to send their waste, power plants in 30 states -- which generate about 20 percent of the nation’s electricity -- are doubling as dumps for spent fuel that remains dangerous for thousands of years. Another four states without operating reactors store spent fuel at closed plants. It is an expensive and, according to some critics, unsafe practice for which the plants weren’t designed and that may end up costing taxpayers billions of dollars.
“That’s not a long-term solution,” Everett Redmond, senior director of non-proliferation and fuel cycle policy at NEI, whose members include reactor owners Exelon Corp. (EXC) of Chicago and Southern Co. (SO) of Atlanta. There’s a “general obligation to society to dispose of the material,” Redmond said in a phone interview.

Yucca Mountain

After Illinois, which also has more reactors than any other state, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and New York have the most waste temporarily stored at power plants.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-25/illinois-biggest-atomic-dump-as-u-s-fails-to-pick-site.html

Near us are: CP1, CP3 (In Argonne, IL, from the old first reactors at the University of Chicago, dating back to 1943, buried at Argonne Natl. Lab.)(about 25 miles from us), Dresden 2 & 3 (~55 miles from us), Zion 1 & 2 (~50 miles from us), Morris (~ 25 miles from us), Braidwood 1 & 2 (~30 miles from us), LaSalle 1 & 2 (~60 miles from us).

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
I have a section 8 subdivision about a mile behind my house. Does that count?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
I have a section 8 subdivision about a mile behind my house. Does that count?

hahahaha   that deserves a  ::beertoast::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:05:01 AM »

Then where is the little brown dot saying clean up is complete?
 I don't get overly  bent out of shape by radiation-  I live in Colorado, where the background is naturally higher.  Not to mention we are that much closer to  the big flaming hydrogen fusion ball and with that much less atmosphere to protect us. But there is no doubt in my mind that Rocky Flats is still hotter than the surrounding land.  When they were doing the "clean up" the rad meter the the public library near Standley Lake in  Arvada shows a HUGE spike on the little paper print out at that time ( with a little sign that says those results should be disregarded - with no explanation as to why)

I lived quite close to there till I moved. Yes, I tested by house with a Geiger counter for radiation levels ( which include everything -including Plutonium, Radon, Uranium in the clay, etc. )  and what I found was that I get more background radiation when I am at my TEOTWAWKI residence in the mountains, then when I was living in this home.

Its an alpha emitter, so it only really harm you if you ingest it ( like Radon when you breath it) and with a half life of 24,000 years, You will be waiting awhile for a decay that could have some chance of harming you.   Yes, it stays in the the body a long time if ingested, but half of Denver is not dying of ancer 10 years later so.... its probably not as dangerous as its being made out to be. (they are trying to build a Highway through there now, and the greenies are trying to stop it.. using maps of airborne contamination from the 1970s-- that stuff is  long gone guys- they close the Highway leading to rocky flats quite often because of high winds)  The pad 903 leakage is the one to worry about. It seeps into the soil and went who knows where after that. Point is,  this one should definitely be on that map somewhere.

Yeah, that looks nasty...half-life no where near over by oh, 4,550 years +/-!   ::speechless::

I'd say they missed something on their map.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
I'd say they don't want us to know about all of the dumps.