Topics > Hobbies & Crafts

Latest book you've read

(1/26) > >>

rustybayonet:
Admittedly this idea comes from another site I have been on.  Thought we could get ideas about some new books here.

My latest is from Bill O'Reilly --- Killing Jesus
Even though he admits that both he and his co-author were brought up Roman Catholic, this is not a religious book, but a history book of the events leading to the crucifixion.  I thought it was a good read from history through both of their eyes.

As a footnote; I have read both of his other 'Killing' books about Lincoln and Kennedy.  In my opinion the Lincoln book follows the history I remember reading about, and the Kennedy book, I agree with everything except the Warren Commissions report that O'Reilly stated as fact about the single assassin - never have and never will believe the idea of only one shooter from behind.  To many things don't add up and Johnson pushed the commission to get answers for the next election IMO.  (footnote - I have always been interested about the assassination after serving on the Honor Guard during Kennedy's administration.  This Sunday evening there is a special on TV about new conjecture of the single vs. multiple shooters theory)

ToddF:
Um...

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix 

What can I say.  I just got Amazon Prime a few months ago, they're free, I never read them...

LadyVirginia:
Not Peace but a Sword by Robert Spencer

he runs jihadwatch.org

Interesting book and a fast read.

rustybayonet:
Had started this book before, but put it down to read Killing Jesus.  Now have finished it;

"Being George Washington", by Glen Beck -- If you had watched Beck on TV you know his feelings about Washington and this is historical about the man while setting aside his politics.  Sayhing that there is one part on pages 162-164 that points out that congress started their 'lying' traits, against the military, during the Revolutionary War.  Before the British had left here for Britain after we had defeated them, the American soldiers who had suffered the hardships and fought the war were being denied what congress had promised, they literally were one day from rising against the government.  Washington went to the officers, putting his reputation with them on the line, and pointed out how it would look to the world if they overthrew the 'newly forming' government.
Bottom line for this history buff, good read-----

AlanS:
I've just started "Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President" about James Garfield. Pretty good read so far.

I must admit I'm rather ignorant on Garfield's politics other than he was anti-slavery and against succession. The latter kind of pisses me off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version