Author Topic: Latest book you've read  (Read 45387 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Latest book you've read
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »
I'm reading all I can about Worm Farming.

;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
I'm reading all I can about Worm Farming.

;D

Step one - dig hole.

Step two - insert libiot.

:D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
Step 3  Add worms

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:14 AM »
Step 3  Add worms

I like your enthusiasm!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 04:25:59 PM »
Finished two more Brad Meltzer novels - The Inner Circle and The Fifth Assassin, manu of the same characters as the last one I read, and like that one these are entertaining enough, nothing super special, decent enough time-filler.

Reading Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen, and if anybody has read his books before you know what you get - a mix of misfit characters of varying sanity and humanity, smart-assed gumshoes and wicked humor...so far it is not disappointing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 06:37:32 AM »
Finished Bad Monkey this past Tuesday, a wild ride.

Next up is more history and such...when I get around to it, get to do taxes for the folks and 1Q filings for BIL this weekend...   ::puke::

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
Currently reading U Turn, by George Barna & David Barton:

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2015, 07:42:29 AM »
I just finished "Give Me A Fast Ship" (see link below) about the early days of the US Navy.  The title comes from a John Paul Jones quote when he was in France awaiting a new command "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."

Most people are aware of Jones but there were other really good captains of that era that history has paid little attention to - John Barry, Nicholas Biddle and Gustavus Conyngham to mention the most notable.  Conyngham is really an interesting fellow, captures, escapes...wildly successful raids in British waters...only to suffer for his lost Captain's Commission (France)...a century after his death a Civil War naval vet named John Sanford Barnes bought a collection of miscellaneous Revolutionary Era documents found in France with a winning $2 bid at auction...mostly because there was mention of a letter with Franklin's name on it...when he received the documents he discovered the long lost Captian's Commission signed by Franklin, one of several pre-signed by John Hancock then the President of the Continental Congress.

It's a good read if the subject matter appeals to you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451416112?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I am currently reading a compilation of the writings and speeches of Edmund Burke.

But on my To Do list may have to be this collaborative effort we first talked about here that I typically am not a fan of one person completing another's work, but since since Vince's death over 2 years ago I guess I've had enough time to ponder giving it a go...and last night was the launch party for the book and Rush flew in as surprise guest speaker, I'm sure we'll hear more about that on his show today.  I reckon I might have to give the book a shot.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Yep, been awhile - been hectic but that's life.  Anyway, have started reading Vince Flynn's last book, finished after his death by Kyle Mills called 'The Survivor'. Flynn wrote the first part and in that he looks to be somewhat clairvoyant and historical as he writes his last book of the Mitch Rapp series.
  "....the seeds of America's decline and now those those seeds were beginning to grow.  Like the Soviets before them, the United States had been deeply wounded by it's pathetic effort to conquer countries favored by Allah.  It's insatiable greed for all things material had led to a financial collapse that was already in the early stages of being repeated.  And it's uncanny cohesiveness-the thing that was the secret of it's strength-had devolved into petty squabbling and government paralysis.  It was the fundamental flaw of democracy: Power found it's way into the hands of liars and mobs instead of the cunning and the strong".
then later he says; "... had been instrumental in hiding Osama bin Laden, allowing the Saudi to hold al Qaeda together for years longer than would have been possible otherwise.  He coordinated the resistance to America forces in Afghanistan and kept track of the insurgent groups that based themselves in Pakistan".
  And then finally;  "In every disaster lay opportunity". [Where did we hear that before?]

All of his books are fiction but, based on fact.  [For what it's worth, Rush Limbaugh says of this book --"Just Fabulous"]
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:21 PM »
Just finished "Pershing: Commander of the Great War (The Generals)" Awesome read. Pershing was quite a character. Stern with his troops, ladies man and dashing dancer after hours.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Good to see you posting again rusty!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »
Thanks - good to be back...
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Just finished "Pershing: Commander of the Great War (The Generals)" Awesome read. Pershing was quite a character. Stern with his troops, ladies man and dashing dancer after hours.

He influenced many of the top leaders who would win the next war...Marshall, Eisenhower, Patton...and MacArthur, though the latter did not think too highly of him.  And to an extent MacArthur was probably right that he was a better desk commander than a field marshall, but the same can be said for Marshall and Eisenhower too, but they played their part and were at least wise enough to put ass-kickers in the field.

::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »
Thanks - good to be back...

Yup, good to hear from you, and thanks for the book review.   ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Reading it only while at work, I finally finish "The Survivor".  Kyle Mills took over writing the finish after Vince Flynn passed away.  Could not tell where he continued the writing and where Flynn left off.  It also leaves room for a sequel following in the Flynn footsteps of the 'Mitch Rapp' saga.  Time will tell...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2015, 06:30:08 AM »
Reading it only while at work, I finally finish "The Survivor".  Kyle Mills took over writing the finish after Vince Flynn passed away.  Could not tell where he continued the writing and where Flynn left off.  It also leaves room for a sequel following in the Flynn footsteps of the 'Mitch Rapp' saga.  Time will tell...

Well, that passes the biggest hurdle IMO, so...I'll have to give it a go.   ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
Found other 'series' books he has written - am going to read the first and see if the style continues.
He has written other books, but only 5 in series, and the site I found lead me to think maybe he was going to do more under Flynn's 'Rapp' series.  There is another author that this same sight says writes in Flynn's style and I'm also going to check one of his out - Brad Thor is that author.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:31:42 AM by rustybayonet »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2015, 08:01:34 AM »
Am reading Soft Target by Stephen Hunter.  Not that I sought this book out for it's story, as I've been reading Hunter's books in order.

Back to Soft Target.  Somalis stage a terrorist operation at Mall of America and a bumbling State Police head in love with his own words and of little substance is in charge of the rescue operation.   His name?  Obobo. 

Too close to real life.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
Am reading Soft Target by Stephen Hunter.  Not that I sought this book out for it's story, as I've been reading Hunter's books in order.

Back to Soft Target.  Somalis stage a terrorist operation at Mall of America and a bumbling State Police head in love with his own words and of little substance is in charge of the rescue operation.   His name?  Obobo. 

Too close to real life.

I got a bunch of his books, and yeah that one you got there is a gem...it is scary how much the ProgTard hive-mind tracks to real life...and that name...a not too subtle tease there, eh?

Enjoy the read.   ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
While everything was going on, I had a chance to get another Mitch Rapp book read after 'Survivor'.  The next in order is "Order to Kill" and again by Kyle Mills for Vince Flynn.  Good read but strange ending for a Mitch Rapp series, but was a set-up for the follow-up that was sure to come, and it has.  This coming Sept. 5th the next installment hits the stands -- " Enemy of State " and again by Kyle Mills.  Won't tell the intro. I read but it looks to be very interesting and different, but we'll see.  Have pre-ordered and it should be here around the 7th.