Author Topic: Latest book you've read  (Read 45389 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Latest book you've read
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:43:09 AM »
Admittedly this idea comes from another site I have been on.  Thought we could get ideas about some new books here.

My latest is from Bill O'Reilly --- Killing Jesus
Even though he admits that both he and his co-author were brought up Roman Catholic, this is not a religious book, but a history book of the events leading to the crucifixion.  I thought it was a good read from history through both of their eyes.

As a footnote; I have read both of his other 'Killing' books about Lincoln and Kennedy.  In my opinion the Lincoln book follows the history I remember reading about, and the Kennedy book, I agree with everything except the Warren Commissions report that O'Reilly stated as fact about the single assassin - never have and never will believe the idea of only one shooter from behind.  To many things don't add up and Johnson pushed the commission to get answers for the next election IMO.  (footnote - I have always been interested about the assassination after serving on the Honor Guard during Kennedy's administration.  This Sunday evening there is a special on TV about new conjecture of the single vs. multiple shooters theory)
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Latest book you've read
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Um...

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix 

What can I say.  I just got Amazon Prime a few months ago, they're free, I never read them...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
Not Peace but a Sword by Robert Spencer

he runs jihadwatch.org

Interesting book and a fast read.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »
Had started this book before, but put it down to read Killing Jesus.  Now have finished it;

"Being George Washington", by Glen Beck -- If you had watched Beck on TV you know his feelings about Washington and this is historical about the man while setting aside his politics.  Sayhing that there is one part on pages 162-164 that points out that congress started their 'lying' traits, against the military, during the Revolutionary War.  Before the British had left here for Britain after we had defeated them, the American soldiers who had suffered the hardships and fought the war were being denied what congress had promised, they literally were one day from rising against the government.  Washington went to the officers, putting his reputation with them on the line, and pointed out how it would look to the world if they overthrew the 'newly forming' government.
Bottom line for this history buff, good read-----
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:48:58 AM »
I've just started "Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President" about James Garfield. Pretty good read so far.

I must admit I'm rather ignorant on Garfield's politics other than he was anti-slavery and against succession. The latter kind of pisses me off.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Rush Revere.  It arrived in Friday's mail so I read it after lunch.  Like he says, it's good for kids,  quick easy read.

Now its back to The Islamic AntiChrist.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Assain's Quest, By Robin Hobbs, the third in a trilogy.......and now reading the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »
the Inheritance of Rome 500-1000 ad by Chris Wickham  sort of gives you the underlying set up of why Europe is the way it is plus it fills in a lot of gaps left in your average medieval history.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:14:49 PM by whimsicalmamapig »
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Just finished 'American Patriot' - the life and wars of Colonel Bud Day by Robert Coram

The Col. was in WWII as an enlisted Marine, then got his degree, (while in college was Army ROTC)commissioned in the Air Force.  Then Korea and Vietnam as a fighter pilot.  While in Vietnam shot down, captured, escaped, recaptured (less than one day from freedom) and held in the 'Hanoi Hilton' for almost 6 years.  Decorations 70 + combat ribbons including the Medal of Honor, the Air Medal with 9 Oak Leaf Clusters, and 12 campaign battle stars, the Air Force Cross, Silver Star, Distingushed Flying Cross with multiple Oak Leaf Clusters.  ( Oak Leaf Clusters are given instead of multiple identical medals).  While also becoming a Lawyer, and earning his Phd.
Sadly the Col. died this year on July 27, 2013 at 88 years of age.

If you are interested in history / military this book is a must.

RIP Col. Day     
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:44:15 PM by rustybayonet »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep".  It was good; a friend lent her copy to me because I'm not giving him another cent.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »
Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep".  It was good; a friend lent her copy to me because I'm not giving him another cent.

I've been getting my books from the library. Download and read them on my Kindle.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
Reading:
  • C.S. Lewis - God in the Dock (essays) - Kindle for iPad
  • Claude Hamilton - Toughen Up!
  • Malcolm Gladwell - The Tipping Point; How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

For years I've read multiple books (1 on the nightstand, 1 in the bathroom, 1 in my computer bag wondering if that's sane...& have met a host of conference leaders who tell me they do the same thing. The computer bag book's for when I find myself w/time on my hands or someone is late for a meeting...I don't have to waste time; I start reading.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »
I read The Tipping Point a few years ago. Thought it was interesting.

My brother has multiple books going but I prefer to stick with one at a time. I read fast and like finishing one before moving on. I found having a book with me makes me way more patient when waiting at the store, doctor, etc.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
Molon Labe by Boston T Party

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

On a lighter note:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Of course, if you have not read all of the following you should read them first ( yes they are largely books for kids, but that shouldn't stop you..)

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien ( yes treat yourself to the book even if you saw the movies)
Holes by Louis Sachar
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie
The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern ( William Goldman)

Or if Non-fiction is your bag

The Making of the Atomic Bomb
The John Adams biography by McCullough
Any of the Founding Father's Books from the Library of America
and the Adams Jefferson letters

That Rhoades book on the Manhattan Project is fascinating.  The McCullough Adams book is good and the Adams-Jefferson letters are a must for anyone interested in  Founders history.

::thumbsup::

Might have to give those first two a shot.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »
One of my favorite authors was Vince Flynn, who unfortunately passed away from colon cancer June 19, 2013. 

He had a very unique talent of writing CIA mysteries in fiction form with research back-up of areas.
He wrote a total of 14 books;

Term Limits
American Assassin  --  [The beginning of the 'Mitch Rapp' series - that follows in the rest of books]
Kill Shot
Transfer of Power
The Third Option
Seperation of Power
Executive Power
Memorial Day
Consent to Kill
Act of Treason
Protect and Defend
Extreme Measures
Pursuit of Honor
The Last Man

He started his last book, 'The Survivor', but didn't finish it before his death.  The publisher hired 'three' writers to finish it in his style [ he could build multiple plots in each book tying them together, then solve all at the end of the book.]  It is scheduled to be out sometime in 2015.
If you like fiction based on government [BS] I would suggest reading these, [and no I don't get paid for recommending these books  ::laughonfloor::]

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Admittedly this idea comes from another site I have been on.  Thought we could get ideas about some new books here.

My latest is from Bill O'Reilly --- Killing Jesus
Even though he admits that both he and his co-author were brought up Roman Catholic, this is not a religious book, but a history book of the events leading to the crucifixion.  I thought it was a good read from history through both of their eyes.

As a footnote; I have read both of his other 'Killing' books about Lincoln and Kennedy.  In my opinion the Lincoln book follows the history I remember reading about, and the Kennedy book, I agree with everything except the Warren Commissions report that O'Reilly stated as fact about the single assassin - never have and never will believe the idea of only one shooter from behind.  To many things don't add up and Johnson pushed the commission to get answers for the next election IMO.  (footnote - I have always been interested about the assassination after serving on the Honor Guard during Kennedy's administration.  This Sunday evening there is a special on TV about new conjecture of the single vs. multiple shooters theory)

Sounds like the JFK book is just a rehash of the official cover story.  I still say LBJ was in deep in that thing.  That might just be me though.  There is not enough proof one way or another to prove squat.

As for Lincoln, if he missed the KGC angle then once again Bill missed the boat.

I am way behind in my reading, time to catch up!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein after reading it the first time 40 years ago.
Back then as a young impressionable lad whose head was filled with mush, it was profound.

It's still a good read because Heinlein is a master

Just started two more.
Hybrid by Whitley Streiber
2061 by Arthur C Clarke

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
Finished the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, who also has best seller "Seabiscuit', that I've not read yet.
Anyway yes I'm in a rut and read a lot of military books and Unbroken is no different; the book revolves around Louis Zamperini.  Trying to see if he was still alive at 90 plus years I came across this video, so instead of trying to tell the story, listen to his own words - fabulous ;;

Unbroken - Louis Zamperini - CBS Sunday Morning - 5-27-12

I bought the book on my kindle - but am going to buy a hard copy for the bookcase and future re reading.

Also Wikipedia at;[below] has a good review also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Zamperini
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:09:55 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:21 AM »
Just finished Vince Flynn's "The Last Man" a couple of days ago. It was excellent.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.