Author Topic: Latest book you've read  (Read 45319 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Latest book you've read
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
I have to go acquire some new tomes, I'm done with all my BIL's books and other than taxes for me and my folks all my work is done, I finally have some time for myself.
 ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »
Have now finished 6 of the 7 Appoloosa series books from Robert B. Parker and the 'stand-in ' writers, that have kept the series going.  Mainly Robert Knott - and he has done a great job in the same writing style as Parker.  If western fiction is your thing, try this series, but it is reommended you read them in order for the continuation factor.
1. Appoloosa
2. Resolution
3. Brimstone
4. Blue Eyed Devil
5. Ironhorse
6. Bull River
7. The Bridge

But before reading the last book in the series, I finally got my copy of the book "American Sniper", by Chris Kyle.  Saw the movie, but usually there is more in books, so I've got to read it.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
There is most definitely more in the Kyle book as you'll soon see.

I will forward your book list to my father, he will like it.   ::hat-tip::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »

Libertas  - were you ever right.  Just finished reading "American Sniper".  Sure am glad I read the book after seeing the movie.  The movie was great, but the book, as usual, was far more in depth....Can sum it up with one word -- WOW !!!!
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 06:22:37 AM »

Libertas  - were you ever right.  Just finished reading "American Sniper".  Sure am glad I read the book after seeing the movie.  The movie was great, but the book, as usual, was far more in depth....Can sum it up with one word -- WOW !!!!

No movie had a chance to cover everything, it just wasn't going to happen...they had to use composites and pick and choose which events to cover, overall I thought they did pretty good capturing the essence of his life.  I almost always prefer the book to a movie, but there are rare cases like this where the movie doesn't betray the book.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
Since reading American Sniper, I've gotten back on the kick of Robert B. Parker's books.  Finished the first four in the Jesse Stone series; Night Passage, Trouble in Paradice, Death in Paradise &Stone Cold. 7 more and that series will be done until his 'ghost writer' does some more.  Took a break from those four and now am reading my first from  the 'Longmire' series, "The Cold Dish", by Craig Johnson.  The TV movie series was based on these books.  A&E had it for three seasons before dropping it - right after the final episode 'cliff hanger'; [ another who shot JR final]the 4th season is do to start later this summer, on NetFlix.

Also had finished the 'Apoloosa' series - "The Bridge"

Jesse Stone series; written by Robert B. Parker before his death -

Night Passage
Trouble in Paradise
Death in Paradise
Stone Cold
Sea Change
High Profile
Stranger in Paradise
Night and Day
Split Image

by; Michael Brandman -

Killing the Blues
Fool Me Twice
Damned If You Do

had already read these three...

by; Reed F. Coleman -

Blind Spot
The Devil Wins
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:16:12 AM by rustybayonet »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »
I'm still in acquisition mode...gathering up the goods as it were...

...don't worry, I'll share my hoard later...

;D

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »
Just finished "Bad Attitude Guide to Good Citizenship" by Claire Wolfe

Although this book is a little dated (just after the 2010 election), it is still pertinent.

The first 2/3rds lists some of the usual offences that we discuss here; TSA, NSA, Obamacare and the rise of the police state to name a few.

She does offer a few solutions.
These include a sort of civil disobedience, ignoring state and federal politics and be involved  only in local.

Other of her titles include:
The Freedom Outlaw's Handbook: 179 Things to Do 'Til the Revolution
Don't Shoot the Bastards (Yet): 101 More Ways to Salvage Freedom

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:58 AM »
Heh, I like the titles!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I thought you might, Libertas.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »
No diff in price between Amazon & B&N either...so it doesn't matter where you buy...not counting any member benefits...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Freedom-Outlaws-Handbook-Revolution/dp/1581605781

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-freedom-outlaws-handbook-claire-wolfe/1112159443?ean=9781581605785

I'll have to add them to my stack.   ::thumbsup::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »
Bad Attitude Guide was a pretty quick read.
A lot of it was reprints of articles she wrote for SWAT and Backwoods Home magazines

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Just finished reading "The Cold dish" - by Craig Johnson.  It's the first book of his 'Longmire' series.   Anyway this book was a good read and part of a 13 book group.  It does have a surprising ending.  Johnson has a similar writing style as Vince Flynn in his building two or three possiblities, before wrapping it up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:55:18 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »
Another 'Jesse Stone' book, "Sea Change", bites the dust.  Fifth in the series it's a typical 'Stone' with many possibilities, and the the solution near the end of the book.  Again a cliff hanger, while entertaining read for Jesse Stone followers.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
Finished "Sniper's Honor" by Stephen Hunter last night...if you like a lady sniper dropping baddies and see an old man whup young punks while flashing back and forth between WWII and the present then this is might be for you.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
I'm about 80 pages into "The Harbinger" by Jonathan Cahn.

I am seriously debating whether I want to invest the time to finish. It is that uninteresting. I'm surprised by this because of all the lauding praise I've seen heaped on this book. But it just isn't doing anything for me.

The premise of the book is that the events that led to God's judgment of the ancient nation of Israel are being replayed in America, and that examining Isaiah (and theological "commentary" about Isaiah), we can draw specific parallels. The book attempts to draw a hard-line to those parallels - as if the events in ancient Israel are actually a biblical message to the United States of America specifically.

So far there are three characters: The main character; the prophet from whom he receives insight into the harbingers; and the publisher to whom the main character is relaying his encounters with the prophet. I see no sign that the character list is going to expand.

The entire book is dialogue between the main character and the prophet, or the main character and the publisher.

In a good book, the characters and the dialogue serve the story. In this book, the characters serve the dialogue, and the dialogue IS the story. There is no reason for the characters to exist except to speak for the author. The author's voice is the only voice you hear, regardless of which of the three characters is speaking. The main character exists to ask questions of the prophet and answer questions of the reporter. The prophet exists to painstakingly and annoyingly lead the main character the long-way around to the answers. The publisher exists to listen to the main character recount his encounters with the prophet. It's so ass-backwards that it comes across as amateurish in every way.

The author didn't need to make his correlations through storytelling. Rather than drawing out the storytelling, transparently making the reader wait for the "suspense" of the big reveals to play out in dialogue, the author should have just spoken for himself, and made the correlations as the author presenting documentary evidence.

... except that there is no evidence. The correlations that Cahn draws between ancient Israel and the United States are akin to reading a horoscope and shoehorning your own life into what it says. And the correlations that have taken me 80 pages of uninspiring reading to wade through could have been made more effectively in about 4 or 5 pages of straightforward analysis.

I have no problem with the notion that the Bible has many things to say about the United States insofar as the bible speaks to all men and all nations. But the lengths this author goes to to convince the reader that the bible contains specific warnings meant only for the United States does not even rise to the level of specious. It's just incredible - literally incredible.

I may finish it just to see if my opinion stays the same as the "harbingers" become more profound as they are revealed. But so far, there is no profundity. Only pablum and wasted time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:11:38 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »
Sorry you didn't like it, IDP.
Read it a few years ago and was flabbergasted at how exact the parallels were.
Down to exact words.

It sounds like you were turned off on the presentation and, possibly, overlooking the message?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
Sorry you didn't like it, IDP.
Read it a few years ago and was flabbergasted at how exact the parallels were.
Down to exact words.

It sounds like you were turned off on the presentation and, possibly, overlooking the message?

I'm up to the fifth harbinger, and so far, the effort to articulate the parallels seems strained to me. I might be allowing the presentation to cloud the message, Idunno.

But the thing is, I get the message. I'm just not buying it so far. And I'm someone who would very enthusiastically embrace a convincing case that the bible has given specific signs or warnings to the United States (as opposed to signs or warnings to mankind or nations).
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:51 AM »
"Under The Overpass" by Mike Yankoski.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Overpass-Journey-Streets-America/dp/1590524020/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426506124&sr=8-1&keywords=under+the+overpass

I must confess. I got this on a whim from the library and fully expected it to be some kind of liberal "we need to tax you more to support these people" mindset. However, what I found is entirely different. The author is a conservative Christian and underwent this project for his own experience. I'm only about half way through, but it's a very interesting read.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »
Finished three recently...

The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer of the "Decoded" series fame on the History channel or whatever it is...he likes puzzles and such, first of a sampling of his recent works I am giving a spin.  Decent writer, doesn't get all Dan Brown goonie with the gimmicks, entertaining enough for light reading enjoyment.

Lost Treasures of American History by W.C. Jameson.  Yeah, bit of an impulse "why not?" buy...if you are looking for never before disclosed secrets of lost treasure forget it, this is more what I expected...an entertaining read into the stories behind some of the notable legends in American history from Spanish colonization through the Civil War, a light entertaining read if you go for the topic.

The Pilgrim Chronicles by Rod Gragg.  This is the gem so far by far.  If you are looking for a one-stop-shop for the Pilgrim's story from England to Holland to America this is it.  And it is an excellent reference to employ when debating any fool who thinks this nation was not launched as a Christian nation.  It is very well written, well sourced and includes many interesting sketches and such of the period.  If anything about this topic appeals to you this is a quality read.  I liked it a lot and the period interests me in general and in specific as I have relatives that came over to the Massachusettes Bay Colony as part of the Great Migration.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:10:21 AM by Libertas »