Author Topic: Latest book you've read  (Read 45376 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Latest book you've read
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
I gotta remember to get those.

Funny...yesterday I took my father to the MN State Fair, I like opening day, usually lighter crowds...but weather was just about perfect and it was definitely filling up with people, but people watching is free entertainment...I saw one guy with a "Mitch Rapp Lives" T-shirt.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
Still waiting for the new 'Mitch Rapp' book that was suppose to be out Sept. 5 -- in the mean time read two more 'Jack Reacher' books by Lee Child.  1st was 'Persuader' very slow start but finished fine.  Next I started 'One Shot',. but had watched the movie so stopped reading.  Finally just finished 'The Hard Way' last night - probably the one of the best so far.  Getting used to Lee Child's writing, very slow to build up [most of the book], but fast wrap up and solving the mystery, and always a twist./  Can figure out a lot, but there is always something unknown. The one thing I do chuckle about after watching the movie, [may have mentioned before, but old fart memory].  In  the books Jack Reacher is suppose to be about 6'5", guess who plays him in the movie --- non other than Tom Cruise -- 5'7" --go figure
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
Yeah...severe lack of 6'+ men in Holly weird....

::)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:08 PM »
That and Cruise is the one who bought the rights.  So in a way, he paid for the roll. 

I've been reading through the Child books, also.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
True enough...but I give cult members no free pass.  He's still a clown!  And a short clown at that!!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »
The Lawdog Files.

https://www.amazon.com/LawDog-Files-D-ebook/dp/B073XSYG63

Learned about him from AC. Great read. Mostly humorous with some philosophy thrown in.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
Just saw the end of a trailer for a movie on TV  this AM - A Vince Flynn book "American Assassin" is now a movie.  Found the trailer --

https://youtu.be/fEefccNgYM4?t=3
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
The Lawdog Files.

https://www.amazon.com/LawDog-Files-D-ebook/dp/B073XSYG63

Learned about him from AC. Great read. Mostly humorous with some philosophy thrown in.

From the link -

LawDog had the honor of representing law and order in the Texas town of Bugscuffle as a Sheriff's Deputy, where he became notorious for, among other things, the famous Case of the Pink Gorilla Suit. In THE LAWDOG FILES, he chronicles his official encounters with everything from naked bikers, combative eco-warriors, suicidal drunks, respectful methheads, prison tattoo artists, and creepy children to six-foot chickens and lethal chihuahuas.

Is Bugscuffle a suburb of Austin? 

::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
Just saw the end of a trailer for a movie on TV  this AM - A Vince Flynn book "American Assassin" is now a movie.  Found the trailer --

https://youtu.be/fEefccNgYM4?t=3

Looks interesting...

Again, I don't know the skinny dude...but once again...I expected a young Mitch Rapp to be a bit bigger...but I liked the book and this looks decent (I can critique it to the book afterwards)...besides, pretty sure I saw a hottie in a bikini somewhere too so...

;D

Is Keaton supposed to be Stan Hurley?

Not sure if I caught a Thomas Stansfield or Irene Kennedy...

Whacking Islaminal scum though!   ::whoohoo::
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:48:18 AM by Libertas »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
Is Keaton supposed to be Stan Hurley? Irene Kennedy is played by Sanaa Lathan

Re-watched the trailer and yes Keaton plays Stan  Hurley - found full cast [many in movie] so here is where to see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1961175/fullcredits/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Thanks Rusty.

Hurley is burley...but I think Keaton might do a good job...

If they stay mostly true to the book...this could be good! 

Rapp was a cocky young badass in the book!   ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
Thanks Rusty.

Hurley is burley...but I think Keaton might do a good job...

If they stay mostly true to the book...this could be good! 

Rapp was a cocky young badass in the book!   ::thumbsup::

Agreed about Rapp as a badass - another series I started on, filling time for Mills to write more -- the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child -- only in attitude, but Tom Cruse to me is the same arrogant self centered person that the fictitious Jack Reacher is meant to be in the book.  Also think possibly Child formed the Reacher character as another Mitch Rapp type, but just my opinion.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Still have not received the Mitch Rapp book that was to be out Sept. 5.  I'm told delivery date has been changed to sometime in Oct..  In the mean time I read another 'Jack Reacher' book - "Bad Luck and Trouble" by Lee Child.  Entertaining, but follows the typical 'hero' fiction books.  If you find yourself bored for a day or two, it's pretty good, as the normal 'cliff hanger' goes.
Now; I did get Bill O'Rielly's latest book - "Killing England", just started it tonight.  Read all the rest of his "Killing" series, so this one is of interest for his research [and Martin Dugard's] efforts into the history leading to and during the Revolutionary War, centered around a few main individuals.  The long prologue, gives background of George Washington as a Colonel in the British army during the French/Indian War, in the Ohio River Valley engagement  We'll see if it stays true like the others.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
This book from Bill O'Reilly " Killing England" is getting very interesting for a history nut like me.  Another quote from the book, sure could be an omen of some happenings recently.  But first a short build up -- 'George Washington seeing a gap in the British fortifications of Boston [after Arnold had taken Fort Ticonderoga and captured fifty-nine British cannon and mortars, had them moved three hundred miles [taking 56 days]to Boston in the extremely cold winter.  Then his troops set up fortifications in the straits leading to the city] over night. A quote from  British Gen. Howe the next morning -- "My God; These follows have done more work in one night, than I could make my army do in three months".  With this Howe knows Washington now controls Boston and the harbor.  The British army will be destroyed if Washington continues to bombard the city and cut off supplies coming by sea.  So Howe negotiates not to burn down the city if his army and the loyalists can leave by ship.

Now the possible parallel that I feel may be happening; the quote from the book -- "George Washington is not just driving away the British Army.  He is ripping the Loyalist heart and soul out of Boston --- and with great relish. There is no room for disloyalty in this world. On March 17, 1776 his army marches across the neck into Boston ...

Hope this isn't to boring, but I am only about 50 pages into this book, and for me it is very interesting.

Footnote in book -- Massachusetts passed a 'Banishment Act in 1778, prohibiting the return of certain individuals who once lived in the colony and expressed an abiding loyalty to the king.  [ A little two-faced double standard, then and now from the area ? ]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:09:15 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
Finished "Killing England" - all I can say - If you're a history buff and know a lot of the things in the book, there are much more unknown.  Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard hit a home run with this "Killing' book in the series.  Yes it took me longer to read than some books, but I do have a life, doing other things.  But in this one I also underlined and highlighted a lot, and the footnotes are smaller print  [old fart eyes].  On the paper cover of the book it states "The Brutal Struggle for American Independence" - oh how true.  The a-holes taking a knee in the NFL should be required to read it [that is if they can read], but they could afford a audio version.  'nuff said.

Now finally have gotten my copy of the Vince Flynn book "Enemy of the State" by Kyle Mills, and am starting it.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:32:25 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
I'll have to add that one to my list.

I've just downloaded "Antifa: The Antifascist Handbook" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Should keep me occupied for a while.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
I finished the last two Rapp books by Mills, they were decent efforts.

At first I was surprised he let his nemesis in the 2nd one live...but then sometimes an apex predator can despise the kills made by a competitor and still admire the skill of the predator...only another predator can probably explain/understand that dynamic...which I guess is what Mills was getting at.

I also read the latest from Nelson DeMille who is another of my favorite of mine called "The Cuban Affair".  One gets accustomed to the phrases "pepino" and "come-meirda" which is swell for me since I am always picking up slang and swearing in as many languages as I can...never can tell who I might be compelled to offend!  And while I am quite familiar with "mierda" learning a new combination is always appreciated!

;D

It's a fun book too...kinda like a latter day "To have and to have not" set in the peoples gulag of Cuba.

All those I loaned out to my father to read...now I have to make a trip to the bookstore and see what else I can devour...

Hopefully there is some new stuff in history or science or something...I read to dang fast, hard to pace myself!

If nothing new I'll break into my old stuff and see if there is one I haven't delved into recently...

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:28 PM »
Just finishing this, by The Arbinger Institute

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »
Got Flynn's [Kyle Mills] "Enemy of State" and like my Oct. post, started reading it.  Ashamed to say, not quite a third of the way through it.  In defense, started on my research of the Roanoke Colony [ mostly finished]and Plymouth Colony/Mayflower, Already read most everything on The Mayflower and her Passengers, Caleb H. Johnson.  Some of these are old writings and hard to trace down original efforts.  So waiting on further information from "Plymouth's Faithful Pilgrim {William Bradford}", by Gary D. Schmidt; "Mayflower Bastard", by David Lindsay; Here Shall I Die Ashore, By Stephen Hopkins;  and Constance: A story of Early Pilgrims, by Patricia Clapp.  As if this wasn't enough got the book by Brian Kilmeade, "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" that I ordered for some of this research project later --- beginning to think I bit off more than I can chew. 

Surprised I can find anything,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:20:11 AM by rustybayonet »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
Kurt Schlicter's People's Republic is worth a read.