Author Topic: Latest book you've read  (Read 45262 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Re: Latest book you've read
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
Still not reading any more of Vince Flynn, but the one I'm reading for my 'project' just had some thing interesting, at least for me --

To explain the circumstance - 1800 issue of slavery;
 "Southerners who had been saber-rattling, now returned their rhetorical blades to their scabbards, and everything calmed down.  It is hushed, indeed for the moment, concluded Jefferson to Holmes; but this is a reprieve only"...... The slavery issue would remain so volatile, in fact, that by tacit gentlemen's agreement it was not mentioned on the floor of either chamber.  Until Now [now being just prior to the Civil War], and some feel the War could have been avoided, had Congress done their job.

Sounds like early training and continuation of Congress to me - and the 'beat goes on' -- don't do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
The Founders one big miss...though at the time I can understand them not wanting to undo what they just brought together, but certainly an opportunity was missed to put something in place to resolve the issue once and for all at a date certain...I would have favored repatriation back to Africa...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »

I recent times.

SJWs Always Double Down (Vox Day) - OK
SJWs Always Lie (Vox Day) - OK
Cuckservative (Vox Day) - OK.
The Cave and the Light, audiobook,  about Plato vs. Aristotle. Good.
Zero to One (Thiel) - audiobook. Good. better than expected.
The Missionaries (Owen Stanley) -OK satire against PC
The Promethean (Owen Stanley) -Good. satire against PC

The New Leviathan (David Horowitz) - the ratio of liberal to conservative foundation money is about 10 to 1.
Hitlerland - first hand contemporaneous accounts of people who met Hitler way back when. Very good.

Backlisted by History - about Joe McCarthy. Audiobook. Great!
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2017, 02:14:33 PM »
I'll have to add that one to my list.

I've just downloaded "Antifa: The Antifascist Handbook" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Should keep me occupied for a while.

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance long ago. I kept seeing it  in some book lists about software quality so I finally bought it. I really understood what the guy was saying. By the end of the book I wondered if that meant I was crazy.  The author is a Minnesota boy. His dad was a law prof.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
The Founders one big miss...though at the time I can understand them not wanting to undo what they just brought together, but certainly an opportunity was missed to put something in place to resolve the issue once and for all at a date certain...I would have favored repatriation back to Africa...

Interesting piece of research in my 'project' [ might be long, but who'd a thonk it ???];
According to colonial records, -- the first slave owner in the United States {'colonies 1655'} was a black man - Anthony Johnson.
His story -  A negro from modern day Angola - he was brought to the US to work on a tobacco farm as an indentured servant, in 1619.  In 1622 he was almost killed when Powhatan Indians attacked the farm.  52 of the 57 people on the farm perished.  He later married a female black servant and later [date unknown] was released from his indentured status, sometime by1645.  By 1651 he held 250 acres and five black indentured servants.  In 1654 it was time for Anthony to release John Casor one of his black indentured servants.  Instead he told Casor he was extending his time.  Casor left and became employed by the free white man Robert Parker.  Johnson sued Parker in the Northhampton Court in 1654.  The court ruled in 1655 that Johnson could hold Casor indefinitely, giving judicial sanction for blacks to own slaves of their own race.  Thus Casor became the first permanent slave and Johnson the first slave owner .  Whites could not legally hold a black servant as an indefinite slave until 1670.  The colonial assembly passed legislation that year permitting whites, blacks and Indians the right to own blacks as slaves.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
That is interesting, rb.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »
Wow, so...a black man started the chain reaction of the ownership of humans in North America...

So, they owe reparations...to themselves!   ::hysterical::

Congratulations, it's called "employment".   ::laughonfloor::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »
As far as books go, started working thorough some light reading...

Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, about half way through.  Pretty detailed, interesting dude, gifted with many talents...though I care not for his personal habits, but I admire his artistic, scientific and mechanical genius.

First Founding Father, Richard Henry Lee and the Call to Independence by Harlow Giles Unger

Grant by Ron Chernow

Churchill by Roy Jenkins

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2017, 08:36:33 PM »
A friend lent me a book for my project and unfortunately it's filled with great info, but I can't highlight it.  So I ordered my own copy and now am waiting.  Good thing it's of a different era than the time I'm working on now so not in a hurry.  Earlier today worked on the Higginson group of 6 ships with the flagship 'Lyons Whelp', that brought supplies along with armament and powder.  Up to the 'Winthrop Fleet", 11 ships sailing to different ports on the Eastern seaboard.   Today finished the passenger list of 793 for all the ships, now starting on those 200+ that lost their lives.  Bottom line - what an undertaking those brave of crazy souls, that risk it all coming to the 'New World" - gives me less patience for those prima donnas today in congress crying over their 'paper cuts' and having to put in 137 days a year.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
A friend lent me a book for my project and unfortunately it's filled with great info, but I can't highlight it.  So I ordered my own copy and now am waiting.  Good thing it's of a different era than the time I'm working on now so not in a hurry.  Earlier today worked on the Higginson group of 6 ships with the flagship 'Lyons Whelp', that brought supplies along with armament and powder.  Up to the 'Winthrop Fleet", 11 ships sailing to different ports on the Eastern seaboard.   Today finished the passenger list of 793 for all the ships, now starting on those 200+ that lost their lives.  Bottom line - what an undertaking those brave of crazy souls, that risk it all coming to the 'New World" - gives me less patience for those prima donnas today in congress crying over their 'paper cuts' and having to put in 137 days a year.

Same dynamic at play among our so-called "poor" in this nation, not picking on the legitimately struggling mind you, but you want to see "poor", go overseas!

People today have no idea how hard life really was or can be.

Way things are going though, people are going to rediscover it...the hard way.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
Rereading 'The Devil's Delusion, Atheism & It's Scientific Pretensions', by [non-Christian] David Berlinski - in which he obliterates anti-Christian science mumbo-jumbo as a pseudo-basis for argumentation.

On Darwin:
Susppicions about Darwin's theory arise for two reasons. The first: the theory makes little sense. The second: it is supported by little evidence.

On computer models simulating Natural Selection (and, by extrapolation, Climate Change):
What these computer experiments do reveal is a principle far more penetrating that any that Darwin ever offered:

There is a sucker born every minute.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:04:42 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
Rereading 'The Devil's Delusion, Atheism & It's Scientific Pretensions', by [non-Christian] David Berlinski - in which he obliterates anti-Christian science mumbo-jumbo as a pseudo-basis for argumentation.

On Darwin:
Susppicions about Darwin's theory arise for two reasons. The first: the theory makes little sense. The second: it is supported by little evidence.

On computer models simulating Natural Selection (and, by extrapolation, Climate Change):
What these computer experiments do reveal is a principle far more penetrating that any that Darwin ever offered:

There is a sucker born every minute.

I may read this.
BTW, David Berlinski has a daughter Claire Berlinski who wrote a very good piece recently
https://www.the-american-interest.com/2017/12/06/the-warlock-hunt/
The Warlock Hunt.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »

BTW, David Berlinski has a daughter Claire Berlinski who wrote a very good piece recently
The Warlock Hunt.

Thanks - just pasted it into Word to save when I can tackle it over the break.  :D
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
Half-way through Extreme Ownership on Kindle - by Navy Seals Jocko Willink & Leif Babin.
Great lessons/applications of focus, ownership, leadership, prioritization (and, of course killing Muzzie scum).

I also consume Jocko White Tea w/ pomegranate & lemongrass.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »

The Warlock Hunt.

Thanks - just pasted it into Word to save when I can tackle it over the break.  :D

Her article is worth reading. However, she has stage 4 TDS. That is all she writes about on Twitter.

My last book read was Skin in the Game, by N N taleb.
I liked his first two and three books better but this was OK. He talks about the problem of scaling up.
IMO he is one of the wisest men on  the planet.

I have watched too much TV lately. The Americans is over now for good. Billions and Silicon Valley have ended for the season.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

The Warlock Hunt.

Her article is worth reading. However, she has stage 4 TDS. That is all she writes about on Twitter.

My last book read was Skin in the Game, by N N taleb.
I liked his first two and three books better but this was OK. He talks about the problem of scaling up.
IMO he is one of the wisest men on  the planet.

I have watched too much TV lately. The Americans is over now for good. Billions and Silicon Valley have ended for the season.

Definitely some cognitive dissonance echoing in that skull...how else can you reconcile the nice points on Soviet repression with the rest of the stuff and then take any of it seriously when ad hom lobs at Trump like "What’s more, we really do have an unreconstructed slob in the Oval Office, one who is genuinely offensive to women." at the end there...all that sh*t does is make me not give one damn about the rest!  I'll let the snake eat its damned self and if at any point it turns toward me I will slay it.  That's the moral of that story!

As for books...after wrapping up Churchill my run is done for now.  Normally the summer months are for light entertainment like novels...though nothing out there catching my eye.  Come fall I will go drop another couple hundred on tomes of all flavors as I settle into another dark cold winter.  Enough of that, it's summer!
 ::beertoast::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Finished "Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris.

Great man, but ended up being a career politician along with left leaning views. I think the career politician came about because he failed at business so bad. He was a semi-successful writer, so I may be wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Theodore-Roosevelt-Book-ebook/dp/B004DEPH3E

Finished "Hotel USSR" by Oleg Atbashian (of People's Cube fame). Awesome read from someone who actually lived under the USSR regime. It's short and it's obvious he's not a writer, but a good read nonetheless.

https://www.amazon.com/Hotel-USSR-Memoirs-Soviet-Non-Artist/dp/1723884529

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
Had plenty time to read; All 10 of the Ray Elkins series by Aaron Stander [Michigan Sheriff fiction]
Bitteroots by C.J. Box another fiction western police series # 5 in series
Joe Pickett Series by C.J. Box The Disappeared and The Wolf Pack another western Cop Fiction #18 &19 so far in series
Buckskin by Robert Knott for RB Parker --Virgil/Everett series fiction western
Started "The British are Coming" by Rick Atkinson - research for Revolutionary War.

Still Have to read "Land of Wolves b y Craig Johnson next in series of Longmire series
Lethal Agent by 'Vince Flynn - Kyle Mills n ow writing for him'  next in the Mitch Rapp Series
Three research books -- The Men Who Tried to Kill Hitler b y Roger Manvell and Heinrich Fraenkel / World War I A HBistory  by Hew Strachan / and the Shadow Party  by David Horowitz

Plus been reading two chapters a day from the Bible - Revolation 5 & 6 today almost done cover to cover
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:34:27 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
  I just stared a book called: Uncle John's 4-ply Bathroom Reader.  Put out by The Bathroom Readers' Institute.  Just a fun book that does have interesting history in it.   ::curtsy4::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
yep - if anything could it makes for better times going to the .....