Author Topic: Deleting programs  (Read 728 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Deleting programs
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
We once used Firefox, but now we both use Google Chrome as our browsers. Firefox is still on my wife's laptop computer.

Will I screw anything up by deleting Firefox, such as losing her favorites, contacts, and other things?
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: Deleting programs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
"Contacts", if you're talking about email, will stay with the providers if you're using webmail. Favorites are stored in each user's docs and settings, so they should transport as well. However, I've never done that before, so I can't say for sure.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Google Chrome is pretty much just a frontend for their spyware. I'd stick with Firefox or Opera, personally. But if you do want to uninstall Firefox, first load it and go into the bookmarks and do an Export to File.  Save the HTML file it generates in your Documents folder or somewhere.  It can then be imported into other web browsers.  By default, simply uninstalling Firefox should preserve your user preferences in case you decide to reinstall it later, but it's still a good idea to manually export the bookmarks.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
Google Chrome is pretty much just a frontend for their spyware. I'd stick with Firefox or Opera, personally. But if you do want to uninstall Firefox, first load it and go into the bookmarks and do an Export to File.  Save the HTML file it generates in your Documents folder or somewhere.  It can then be imported into other web browsers.  By default, simply uninstalling Firefox should preserve your user preferences in case you decide to reinstall it later, but it's still a good idea to manually export the bookmarks.

We had nothing but grief with Firefox. The bookmarks and mailing lists were created in Google, not Firefox. I really don't want to even open Firefox. Can I still just uninstall it?

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »
Yes you can uninstall it.  It should leave behind a folder containing user preferences, so if you ever do want to reinstall it it'll find them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
What kind of problems are you having? I've been using it for years with no problems.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
Thanks, Glock32. I appreciate the info.

AlanS, it's been too long since that time for this oldfart brain to remember the problems. I know it allowed things in PAST my Virus and Spy programs.