Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 32695 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
It's snowing out my window right now.

*sadface*

Light the fireplace,it always made me feel better.

Warm you up on those bitter 50 degree Florida winter nights, does it? 

No it doesn'y but it is one of the reasons I want out of Florida.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
Get ready - in case your forgot - here's what two feet of snow looks like;

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
Where I live two feet isn't that big a deal. A bigger deal is so much snow that you can walk to the top of your roof.

Yet another reason that I store a lot of extra food...can't go to the grocery store when the roads are blocked with five to six feet of snow.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »
where I live, we don't close schools until the wind-chill hits -40.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
My tractor tire chains didn't come in today. Dammit!  ::pullhair::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
When I was a kid living in NC schools would close with 1/4" because there wasn't any removal equipment.  It would melt at our house by noon but sometimes school would be closed for several days because the county roads were still covered.   ::cool::

We once got 6-8 inches.  Oh, man school closed for a week.  Snowed Monday, melted by Wednesday.  And it wasn't cold so it was fun to be outside. 

I loved that attitude--it snows life stops.  ::danceban::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
Had to be well over a foot or the sub-zero temps busting pipes to get us a day off back in my day...but when they came, we'd be out in it trying to invent new ways to hurl ourselves down hills and off jumps...building forts and destroying them in mock warfare...whatever we could think of...go home wet soggy messes!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Had to be well over a foot or the sub-zero temps busting pipes to get us a day off back in my day...but when they came, we'd be out in it trying to invent new ways to hurl ourselves down hills and off jumps...building forts and destroying them in mock warfare...whatever we could think of...go home wet soggy messes!

Today your parents would end up in jail for that. Forts?warfare?  Yup  jail it is.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »

Today your parents would end up in jail for that. Forts?warfare?  Yup  jail it is.

Yeah, and foster homes and abuse for us kids...no thanks...I'd rather be under an overpass!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
The weather's supposed to suck big time here today, just in time for the Veterans Day observance. Cloudy & in the low 40s now, falling temps all day, windy, rain changing to snow.

But I'll go anyway; all of our vets will never be forgotten in this house, nor in those of our kids and our grandkids. It is my duty to go to celebrate all veterans.

But there's a bright spot - no frigging JJJ this year; he used to show up to give a BS speech, but now he can talk to the bars in his cell. May Satan burn his soul.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
We're honoring vets tomorrow with a big dinner.  Not everyone can be home tonight so it's tomorrow.  I just decided that a family gathering with good food and sharing memories or thoughts on those who served would be a good idea. I've already put a bottle in the fridge so we can toast them all.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
Being a lifelong New Englander, I don't mind it. Nothing is better than being on a covered porch, drinking hot cocoa, and watch the snow falling from the sky!!!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
Being a lifelong New Englander, I don't mind it. Nothing is better than being on a covered porch, drinking hot cocoa, and watch the snow falling from the sky!!!

With apologies to Romemary Clooney, "C'mon a' my house, come on, come on. I'm gonna give you candy snow!"

Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »
  I can remember in the mid nineties living in the North west Hills in Conn. and a blizzard knocking out the power in the whole town.

Well the kids come running in for dad and mom cause they were scared and me going out in the garage and firing up the generator and turning on the spots and the TV.

Before you know it the phone started ringing and we ended up with 26 visitors for the next couple days(which was fine with me because there were you kids involved).I did have an admittance charge which was gas bring what you got in case I need it.

We lived and had a hell of a party.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
Supposed to be 27 degrees tomorrow night with a chance of a "snow mix" here in sunny NC.

Plenty of propane for the generator, steaks in the freezer and tupperware loaded with firewood on the front porch.  We're ready.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Supposed to be 27 degrees tomorrow night with a chance of a "snow mix" here in sunny NC.

Plenty of propane for the generator, steaks in the freezer and tupperware loaded with firewood on the front porch.  We're ready.

ummmm, how did you get a log in a Tupperware container? ::whatgives::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
I am a very good packer.   

;D

No, they're the big, plastic tupperware bins, ya sil.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
I am a very good packer.   

;D

No, they're the big, plastic tupperware bins, ya sil.

oic, like an oversized tote

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
'Zackly.   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »

Change the porch to a garage and cocoa to burbon or rum or (you get the pic!) and throw in a stogie and I am right there!

(As long as I don't have to drive in it...)   ;D

And hey, throw in a bucket for your butt to rest on and a pole in your hand and you got ice fishin'! 

(No pole jokes!)