Author Topic: The Political Middle Has Disappeared  (Read 364 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
The Political Middle Has Disappeared
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
The political middle is rapidly disappearing. I predict that by 2016 it will be only a memory.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-31/an-amazing-chart-explains-washingtons-dysfunction?campaign_id=yhoo
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: The Political Middle Has Disappeared
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
Judge Judy says, "If something doesn't sound right it's usually because it isn't true". I believe the basic premise of this piece but I absolutely don't believe the accuracy of the graphic. The plain implication of the graphic is the suggestion that there is a (more of less) dead-set middle point. I don't believe that for a moment. The re-election of the HNIC and the advancement of the Gimmedat's proves a sharpening of the leftward shift. There is a midpoint between left and right but it is significantly to the left of where the graphic shows.

While it is inarguable that the left has consolidated its position (mostly by purging itself of moderate democrats) the dame cannot be said for the right. If it were true then why is everyone (including and notably the left) crowing about the internecine warfare going on in the pubbie party?

IMO the reason for the rift within the ranks of the right is because the squishy GOPe has drifted left, making the difference between themselves and the conservatives ever more stark. Much as I'd like to see a similar purge within the GOP I know how bad a problem that would pose for us. Truth is, we need them (the liberal pubbies) as much as they need us. Without the mutual support we will never win another election.

What is true in this piece is the Balkanization that has occurred in our country. If you read the article you saw a link to a PDF and if you read the PDF you'd see that there is claimed a modest increase of favorable sentiment towards the proposition for "more government". This is antithetical to conservatives for a number or reasons - not the least of which is that it is simply unsustainable. We can't keep spending money we don't have and supporting parasites.

The good news is that the right will solve this problem. The bad news is that if we do not solve it at the ballot box (increasingly unlikely) we will be forced to solve it with the ammo box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The Political Middle Has Disappeared
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Yeah I call BS on this...things might be more polarized (duh!) but the general skewing toward progressive/ruling class elites means the criteria has drifted left...and while the Dem's appear to be universally left (anybody know any "moderate" dem's anymore?  I don't.  Where are the "Blue Dogs"?  Most are driven from the Dem party.) it is obviously stunningly ignorant to say the Repub's are universally conservative?!  Conservative compared to what?  Your average leftist Dem?  Pah!  This graphic oculd only be true if 90%+ of all the Ruling Class/Big Govt Pubbies were purged form the GOP...since the GOP is probably at least 70% squishy that event isn't coming anytime soon and certainly not fast enough to matter a damn!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.