Author Topic: Grant Surrenders  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Grant Surrenders
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:14:46 AM »
On this day , April 9th 1865 , Gen . Grant surrendered to Gen. Lee at Appomattox Court House , Va. ending the American Civil War . According to an addendum on the reverse side of the surrender document Gen. Lee agreed to make it look as if he had surrendered to Grant .

( Okay so it WAS the other way around ! But liberals are revising history every day so why can't I ? )

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: Grant Surrenders
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
So yesterday boner also surrendered.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
Grant was a Republican

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »
One of the many ironies of the Civil War:

Because the First Battle of Bull Run, fought on July 21, 1861, took place on Wilmer McLean's farm about 120 miles (190 km) to the north in Virginia, it can be said that the Civil War started in McLean's backyard in 1861 and ended in his parlor in 1865.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »

Because the First Battle of Bull Run, fought on July 21, 1861, took place on Wilmer McLean's farm about 120 miles (190 km) to the north in Virginia, it can be said that the Civil War started in McLean's backyard in 1861 and ended in his parlor in 1865.

Welcome, RickZ!

You forgot to include a link, but I remember hearing that in Ken Burns' series.  Hell, that's not just one of the greatest ironies of the Civil War, it's one of the greatest ironies in all history.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »

!

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
!

According to the Burns series, McLean sold his farm near Bull Run after the battle and moved to Appamattox in order to get away from the main combat area between Washington and Richmond.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:43:07 AM »

Welcome, RickZ!

You forgot to include a link, but I remember hearing that in Ken Burns' series.  Hell, that's not just one of the greatest ironies of the Civil War, it's one of the greatest ironies in all history.

Thanks.

It was from wiki, the quickest quote I could find that backed up what I learned from the great Civil War historian, Dr. James Robertson, at Virginia Tech; his Civil War class, held in a 560 seat auditorium, was always 'sold out'.  (You may have seen him giving snippets of commentary on various Civil War documentary shows/series.  He headed the Civil War Centennial back in 1961.)

The Civil War was full of ironies, and I really do not have one that stands out above all the others, though the story of Wilmer McLean and his houses is certainly among the top.  Then there is the story of the Kentucky Breckinridge brother fighting for the Union capturing in battle his brother fighting for the Confederacy.  That border-state family personified the 'brother against brother' attribute of that war.

Another irony, this time about the commander of Fort Sumter and the commander of the Confederate batteries in Charleston which opened fire and began the war.  Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard was instructed in artillery as a cadet at West Point by none other than the commander of Fort Sumter, Maj. Robert Anderson.

From wiki, more irony:

[Anderson] served in the Black Hawk War of 1832 as a colonel of Illinois volunteers, where he had the distinction of twice mustering Captain Abraham Lincoln in and out of army service.

The country was smaller back then, the military moreso.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »
During the centennial celebration beginning in 1961 , I "cut my teeth" on Bruce Catton's work . Gary Gallagher refers to Catton as "The Gold Standard" of Civil War historians . I watched Ken Burns's Civil War for its entertainment value and to see how much he had learned in a comparatively short period of time . Too many people rely on Burns as an ultimate authority on the subject .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »
Burns pulls from many sources in order to paint his mosaic, which is OK for TV, but like any enormous event, even an extended series on TV cannot capture anything.  Once always has to read, often many books from various authors, to really get a feel for real history.  You've whetted my appetite SH, dang, now I have to go take care of that!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.