Author Topic: 4 On Your Side investigates traffic stop nightmare  (Read 2672 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
4 On Your Side investigates traffic stop nightmare
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
Stay OUT of Hildago County, NM, Deming, NM and run as fast as you can from the Gila Regional Medical Center!

4 On Your Side investigates traffic stop nightmare

Updated: 11/05/2013 7:21 AM | Created: 11/04/2013 10:35 PM
By: Chris Ramirez, KOB Eyewitness News 4

This 4 On Your Side investigation looks into the actions of police officers and doctors in Southern New Mexico.

A review of medical records, police reports and a federal lawsuit show deputies with the Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office, police officers with the City of Deming and medical professionals at the Gila Regional Medical Center made some questionable decisions.

The incident began January 2, 2013 after David Eckert finished shopping at the Wal-Mart in Deming.  According to a federal lawsuit, Eckert didn't make a complete stop at a stop sign coming out of the parking lot and was immediately stopped by law enforcement.

Eckert's attorney, Shannon Kennedy, said in an interview with KOB that after law enforcement asked him to step out of the vehicle, he appeared to be clenching his buttocks.  Law enforcement thought that was probable cause to suspect that Eckert was hiding narcotics in his anal cavity.  While officers detained Eckert, they secured a search warrant from a judge that allowed for an anal cavity search.

The lawsuit claims that Deming Police tried taking Eckert to an emergency room in Deming, but a doctor there refused to perform the anal cavity search citing it was "unethical."
But physicians at the Gila Regional Medical Center in Silver City agreed to perform the procedure and a few hours later, Eckert was admitted.

What Happened

While there, Eckert was subjected to repeated and humiliating forced medical procedures.  A review of Eckert's medical records, which he released to KOB, and details in the lawsuit show the following happened:

{{snip}}

David Eckert is suing The City of Deming and Deming Police Officers Bobby Orosco, Robert Chavez and Officer Hernandez.

Eckert is also suing Hidalgo County Hidalgo County Deputies David Arredondo, Robert Rodriguez and Patrick Green.

Eckert is also suing Deputy District Attorney Daniel Dougherty and the Gila Regional Medical Center including Robert Wilcox, M.D and Okay Odocha, M.D.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3209305.shtml#.UnldYGR4YVl
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: 4 On Your Side investigates traffic stop nightmare
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
Jeez.  I had just read about this on The Blaze.

machinegun
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
Well gee whiz y'all, what's the fuss about? If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry about.

/sarc
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
Well gee whiz y'all, what's the fuss about? If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry about.

/sarc

For sure! No probs at all! /no sarc

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
I swear, any interaction one has with the police, any interaction, even a rolling through a stop sign traffic stop, refuse to speak to the cop(s) until you have a chance to speak with a lawyer, and be adamant about it.  The cops are definitely not on the citizens' side.  Not anymore.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
I'm amazed that we've finally come across a police brutality story where the cops actually had a warrant. I think that when police have probable cause, and they seek a warrant, something like an anal cavity search can be a legitimate use of police power.

But I cannot believe that the warrant issued allowed for what happened here. If it did, then the problem is even bigger.

The X-ray showed no drugs. This could've stopped right there. If the X-ray was inconclusive, it seems to me that the warrant possibly included a rubber-gloved finger search. I think that whether I agree or approve, they were probably legally within the boundaries of the warrant up until that point.

But multiple enemas? Forced defecation in front of other people? SEDATION? colonoscopy WITHOUT PATIENT APPROVAL???

With or without a warrant, this thing went WAY off the rails after the X-ray and cavity search came up negative.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:29:39 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
It's important to sue people as individuals. And I would sue every single individual even peripherally involved with this. A big part of the problem we face is that the people destroying our culture of individual liberty are able to do so from behind the aegis of an institution. Sure, you can go after the institution and occasionally win a damage award, but does that really punish any of the people responsible? So they throw a handful of taxpayer money at you and go right back to what they were doing. It's a lose-lose for the citizenry at large.

I wish we had an activist organization that could make it its mission to help file these types of lawsuits against individuals. For a long time the Left has taken advantage of the fact that "the process is the punishment" in order to fatigue their opponents into acquiescence -- even if the final judgment goes against the Left. We should start doing the same thing. Go after these people individually.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
IDP, the body cavity search warrant was for a different county from the county where the hospital was located and the procedures were done.  Definitely an illegal search on the law end, and definitely malpractice on the medical end. Even without finding nothing, this guy is going to make some serious big bucks and have a few badges and medical licenses on his trophy wall; finding nothing makes the payout even bigger.

I can't wait to follow this story and see how the police spin this abuse of power, and how the hospital justifies doing all those procedures without the patient's consent.  This story might just cause a popcorn shortage.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
What if the guy had been on blood thinners, and they perforated his colon? What if they'd have found cancerous polyps? What if he had an allergy to standard sedative/anesthetic drugs?

A frikkin colonoscopy is not a throw-away procedure. It's invasive, and deadly serious to those who must endure it.

I think you're right Rick. If there is any justice, this guy will come out OK in the end. Perhaps in the process he will strike a blow against the kind of police overstepping we've been seeing lately.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
The police are abusing their powers because of the very reason Glock cites:  The individuals who do such things are never punished as individuals.

Remember Abner Louima?  Cops went to jail because of what they did to him as criminal assault laws were broken, not to mention Louima's civil rights were violated.  These cops are no different even though it was a hospital setting.  With forethought, they broke the law with this criminal assault and violated the guy's civil rights; they definitely deserve jail time as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the medical staff end up in jail, too; just following orders doesn't work as a defense.  Plus, I would think there might be hospital surveillance video of the various assaults that took place.

Until abuse under such color of authority is legally ripped to shreds on an individual level, such crap will go on ad infinitum.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:42:52 AM »
Hmmm....

Have my individual rights absolutely shredded and be held against my will without cause, subjected to physcial assault and personal humiliation and told to STFU and like it...

Or, just open fire on these fascists the moment you have a chance?

::thinking::

Ya know, if this is what they are allowed to get away with, then people ought to be equally free to get away with Option B!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »
These boys been watching waaayy too much Deliverance

Same people, different incident.  Yes, AGAIN!

::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning:: ::mooning::

Seriously you two, get a room.  Stay out of our collective ass'.

RickZ

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »
And the same false alert drug dog, too, a dog not recertified in over two years when yearly is required.

A good comment at the Blaze:

I am a state of Florida certified police dog trainer. I can tell you this, certification in Florida is tough. However, the handler can cause his dog to false alert any time he wants him to. These cops are criminals. I don’t know why the FBI or the state of New Mexico don’t investigate. This is a capitol crime. As far as I see it. It is False imprisonment, sexual battery and all done while the cops were armed. Putt hem in in jail. Period !

I've been saying this since I first read this story:  It's not merely abuse of police authority/assault.  It was multiple counts (7 if I'm not mistaken) of forcible rape by the police officers and the hospital staff; having a weapon, as the police did, would (to me) elevate any penalties.  The prosecutor, the judge and the K-9 officer using a drug dog known for its false alerts are all accessories to rape before the fact.  These people do not just need to be fired/have their medical or law licenses licenses revoked, but they need jail time as well as being placed on the sex offender registry for life.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
And the same false alert drug dog, too, a dog not recertified in over two years when yearly is required.

A good comment at the Blaze:

I am a state of Florida certified police dog trainer. I can tell you this, certification in Florida is tough. However, the handler can cause his dog to false alert any time he wants him to. These cops are criminals. I don’t know why the FBI or the state of New Mexico don’t investigate. This is a capitol crime. As far as I see it. It is False imprisonment, sexual battery and all done while the cops were armed. Putt hem in in jail. Period !

I've been saying this since I first read this story:  It's not merely abuse of police authority/assault.  It was multiple counts (7 if I'm not mistaken) of forcible rape by the police officers and the hospital staff; having a weapon, as the police did, would (to me) elevate any penalties.  The prosecutor, the judge and the K-9 officer using a drug dog known for its false alerts are all accessories to rape before the fact.  These people do not just need to be fired/have their medical or law licenses licenses revoked, but they need jail time as well as being placed on the sex offender registry for life.

Agreed.  Seriously doubt if all or any will get what they deserve.  Defending your person with lethal force from this kind of crap is the only thing that will get this stuff into a courtroom and into the wider public consciousness...this will get buried, the guilty will be quietly shuffled along, the victim paid off and it'll just happen somewhere else next.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:38 AM »
I swear, any interaction one has with the police, any interaction, even a rolling through a stop sign traffic stop, refuse to speak to the cop(s) until you have a chance to speak with a lawyer, and be adamant about it.  The cops are definitely not on the citizens' side.  Not anymore.

While I see the logic in this, the downside is when the cops on that police department come down on you - hard. If you live in that area, you will be on the cops' list of those people to stop - for anything, even on a whim.

RickZ

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »

While I see the logic in this, the downside is when the cops on that police department come down on you - hard. If you live in that area, you will be on the cops' list of those people to stop - for anything, even on a whim.

To paraphrase Joe "The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer' Biden:  Two words, 'lawyer' and 'speed dial'.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 05:50:42 PM »
So... if the cops knew this, it could explain suspicion and probable cause. It doesn't justify acting outside the law, but it may explain how the situation began escalating in the first place.

True, however, an ex-ray was done, nothing was found, that should have been the end of the story this time.

If  I wait to defend someone who has been transgressed against by the police until it's shown they're pure, or at least haven't broken the law in any significant way, well, I won't do that.  Two wrongs don't make a right and the damned police must be held to a higher standard.

David Koresh was not a good guy and from what I understand Randy Weaver wasn't either, but the police escalated until they killed them, not the other way around, and that was decades ago.  They've only gotten worse and worse since then because we, all the other people, expected "the law" to hold and so did nothing.  And "the law" did not hold and nobody rose up and the emboldenment continued.

They wouldn't have expected an uprising then and it would have had some positive effect.  Now, they're ready and waiting for us.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"