Author Topic: The Very Pinnacle Of Schadenfreude Unleashed Via DumbassCare  (Read 37323 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: The Very Pinnacle Of Schadenfreude Unleashed Via DumbassCare
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
Here's the thing, though...

The destruction of the health insurance market and, by extension, the healthcare industry has created something that demands a reaction: A vacuum.

There is a demand for health care and it cannot be legislated away. What the admin has done is to legislate the existing marketplace away but the demand for the product remains. What is not there is a current way to fulfill that demand. But that will change with no help at all from government.

We saw this with the 1994 assault weapons ban. The government banned certain guns and the gun industry responded to market demand by creating new ones. Now it is true that the gun industry could not get around certain aspects of the law but they got around a remarkable amount of it. And that is because the law did not legislate away the demand of the market.

We also saw this with the 1995 ban of R12 refrigerant...the stuff that was used in every car air conditioner. Since then new cars are made for a different refrigerant but what about the antique cars that still use the old stuff? Well, the chemical companies developed new refrigerants that work as a direct replacement for R12. Plus, if you want to go to Mexico you can probably buy as much as you like of the original stuff.

The light bulb ban will have a similar skirting of the law. I can just about guarantee that you will still be able to buy an incandescent light bulb pretty much forever because if there is a demand for them it will get filled by someone.

With healthcare and healthcare insurance it will be the same. When millions of people need healthcare and the old way of delivering it is no longer legal that simply means that a new way can and will be found to meet that demand.

The admin will stumble and bumble along for many weeks, perhaps many months, trying to fix the monster that they created but it is entirely possible (and even likely) that the free market will answer the problem on its own.

Perhaps the insurance industry will create a new product/instrument out of thin air that will allow for catastrophic care coverage, one that is not specifically outlawed by the DumbassCare legislation.

Perhaps primary care will suddenly become a cash and carry business model with dramatically lower pricing since insurance is no longer part of the picture.

Who knows?

But what you can absolutely count on is that a non-government solution will emerge. People are not going to suddenly stop exhibiting human behavior and where there is a vacuum in the marketplace someone will figure out a way to fill it and get wealthy in the process.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Yes, cash for service will increase, absolutely.  In some ways it already is with the so-called "minute clinics", this will expand into private medical treatment and perhaps even some traveling docs.  But the government will move in to control it, you watch!  They'll blather on and on using words like "public safety", "unregulated/Unlicensed", "back-alley", "law-dodging" & "tax-dodging" and look to kill or regulate it.

Thew more they squeeze the more it will go underground, and then the cost for this will eventually go up, so in the end the future is dim for average Americans.

Best solution is widespread and overt non-compliance and defiance...make the state show its fist, then we'll see where this all goes!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
Colorado ObamaVoter and DumbassCare cheerleader gets her policy cancellation notice.

Acts sincerely surprised.

CO Democrat congresswoman says, though, no big deal because losers like this are going to be the exception rather than the rule and in a year or two when DumbassCare is working properly everyone is going to be happy, happy, happy.

Wagner and her husband retired early. She was a nurse for 35 years and championed Obamacare, until she received a letter from her insurance company saying it was canceling her policy.

“I was really shocked … all of my hopes were sort of dashed,” Wagner said. “’Oh my gosh President Obama, this is not what we hoped for, it’s not what we were told.’ “

She was shocked further to learn that for the same coverage she would pay 35 percent more and have a higher deductible.

“Our premium for next year is going up to over $1,000 a month for two of us and we’re two fairly healthy individuals,” Wagner said.

Well, back to work for you, dumbass.

(If you carefully watch the video at the link you will see the pricing on the computer screen has $12,000+ deductibles which was left out of the report.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:37:28 AM by trapeze »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »
There is a demand for health care and it cannot be legislated away'
I think Trap's on to something.  Whether it's out in the open or more discreet I don't know.  But I can't tell you how many doctors' offices I've been to and they employ all these people trained to do things only doctors used to do.  Nurse practioners, physician assistants, etc.  So I can see where you have a little boo-boo you go see the PA, pay $50 and you're done. Maybe the PA's an independent contractor so no insurance gets filed.  And how about pharmacists?  They're not doctors but they sure can answer questions.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
Yet another story. This time it is in the pages of the NYT and the comments, as you expect from libs, are running 100 to 1 against the author.

LOS ANGELES — THE Anthem Blue Cross representative who answered my call told me that there was a silver lining in the cancellation of my individual P.P.O. policy and the $5,400 annual increase that I would have to pay for the Affordable Care Act-compliant option: now if I have Stage 4 cancer or need a sex-change operation, I’d be covered regardless of pre-existing conditions. Never mind that the new provider network would eliminate coverage for my and my son’s long-term doctors and hospitals.

The Anthem rep cheerily explained that despite the company’s — I paraphrase — draconian rates and limited network, my benefits, which also include maternity coverage (handy for a 46-year-old), would “be actually much richer.”

I, of course, would be actually much poorer. And it was this aspect of the bum deal that, to my surprise, turned out to be a very unpopular thing to gripe about.

“Obamacare or Kafkacare?” I posted on Facebook as soon as I hung up with Anthem. I vented about the call and wrote that the president should be protecting the middle class, not making our lives substantially harder. For extra sympathy, I may have thrown in the fact that I’m a single mom. (O.K., I did.)

Then I sat back and waited for the love to pour in. Or at least the “like.” Lots of likes. After all, I have 1,037 Facebook friends. Surely, they’d commiserate.

Except that they didn’t.

Instead, aside from my friend David, who attempted to cheer me up with, “My dad, who never turns down a bargain, would take the sex change just because it’s free,” my respondents implied — in posts that, to my annoyance, kept getting more “likes” — that it was beyond uncool to be whining about myself when the less fortunate would finally have insurance.

“The nation has been better off,” wrote one friend. “Over 33 million people who did not have insurance are now going to get it.” That’s all fine and good for “the nation,” but what about my $5,400 rate hike (after-tax dollars, I wanted to add, but dared not in this group of previously closeted Mother Teresas)? Another friend wrote, “Yes, I’m paying an extra 200 a month, but I’m okay with doing that so that others who need it can have health care.”

I was shocked. Who knew my friends were such humanitarians? Has Obamacare made it un-P.C. to be concerned by a serious burden on my family’s well-being?

You just want to reach out and punch the commenters for being such elitist and condescending assholes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:49:00 AM by trapeze »

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Yet another story. This time it is in the pages of the NYT and the comments, as you expect from libs, are running 100 to 1 against the author.

Some of the comments:

I'm with your facebook friends. It's the attitidue of me first, only me that is dooming this nation.
The easiest thing would have been to sit back and watch Europe and all of its Jews burn during the
Second World War, but we didn't.

[Obama] should concentrate on the 47% and help them as much as he can. He should not spend one moment on you
either, for you are obviously just like me, one of life's winners.

Suck it up. Eat dinner at Denny's one night a month and pay the premium out of the savings. While you are
there look around and see how the other half lives.

Go sip some tea with the Tea Party folks.

Whatever happened to our sense of community? Americans as a group are so very generous, willing to help out
at the drop of a hat when a neighbor or community group is in distress. But higher premiums for "the nation"?
Apparently not.

Honestly, I find it hard to be sympathetic to someone who may have to cut back their vacation plans a bit
because their catastrophic only coverage is no longer available. Or to someone that has so greatly benefited
from living in the United States, but feels so little willingness to contribute back to the community and people
that helped her find her success. (No one is successful in a vacuum.)

Others write that our "contentment" was enjoyed on the backs of the culturally "excluded"...

...not a self-conscious bootstrap-puller amongst the "free shyt", "you didn't build that" crowd. We represent life's "lottery winners" & can go f*ck ourselves.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
They think they're being charitable by having the government take our money and "give" it to someone else.

::bashing:: ::bashing:: ::bashing:: ::bashing::

Incidentally, those people who now have coverage because of "our generosity" won't be getting any better "health care" than we will be getting.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
Zey havz veys to makez you partizipate in order to enzure all getz ze zame treatment, ja?!  Nowz stoppenze za crybabyz act, or elze!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
I guess a lot of people subscribe to the "misery loves company" club and they want to make sure you're part of it.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
Reading the comments posted by Pablo, it seems to me that the author of the piece as well as others in her situation will be faced with an inconvenient reckoning. They're going to have to figure out how their personal pain fits into the ideology they've always subscribed to. Some will have lightbulbs go off, and some won't.

Question is now, even if the tide of public opinion against Obamacare becomes a tsunami, with former liberals joining in trying to get rid of it, how does that manifest? Once the current health care system is destroyed - which I fear is happening at a pace more rapid than any of us dared contemplate - the fight will be about single-payer vs "evil conservatives who want you to keep suffering".

So, how many of the people like the author of this piece who are dismayed at their own personal pain will turn back 180º in their dissent, once single-payer government health care is on the table?

I suspect the author might be delighted to return to the liberal fold.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
For the exact opposite reaction, though, go to my previous posting (found here) and read those comments. They are running about 1000 to 1 against the person but in this case it is also against DumbassCare.

The NYT readership (based on those comments) is a cesspool of collectivists. I put it to anyone that the reaction at the Denver CBS story is probably more typical of the average person's reaction.

One other thing...have a look at this article from "Reason" in which the author outlines an all too likely scenario where doctors and hospitals participating in DumbassCare get stuck with unpaid bills by people who game the system. This is all the proof needed that this system is designed to fail.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:30:40 PM by trapeze »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
Next year's elections are going to be a blood bath that will make the previous Republican routs of 1994 and 2010 look tame by comparison.

Except some of us are saddled with rinos in name only, who won't work to get rid of O'Care.  They had their chance, they surrendered.  I'm not voting for Erik Paulsen, ever again.  That hasn't changed in the past couple weeks, it won't change if he delivers some pretty words tomorrow.  Actions matter.  So bloodbath?  I'm not so sure.

Here's one take, with regards to limousine liberals.  Being a LL was always easy, vote Democrat, and someone else's money will build high rise housing for someone else to live in.  Someone else's money will stock food shelves that someone else will get their food at.  Best of all, someone else's money will build and staff inner city schools someone else's children will have to attend.  Obamacare was supposed to be the same thing...someone else's money being used to fund charity care for someone else, probably in some crowded clinic.  Guess what?  With Obamacare, the LL is now forced into the very thing they thought would only apply to Those People.  Obamacare is the equivalent of forcing that LL into high rise housing, or that inner city school.  That's why this is different than any other Democrat nonsense.

Just a thought.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Here's one take, with regards to limousine liberals.  Being a LL was always easy, vote Democrat, and someone else's money will build high rise housing for someone else to live in.  Someone else's money will stock food shelves that someone else will get their food at.  Best of all, someone else's money will build and staff inner city schools someone else's children will have to attend.  Obamacare was supposed to be the same thing...someone else's money being used to fund charity care for someone else, probably in some crowded clinic.  Guess what?  With Obamacare, the LL is now forced into the very thing they thought would only apply to Those People.  Obamacare is the equivalent of forcing that LL into high rise housing, or that inner city school.  That's why this is different than any other Democrat nonsense.

Just a thought.

And a good thought.

It is the scenario that you describe above that makes me believe that there will be an electoral bloodbath for libs next year. The thing is, except for overwhelming hot beds of liberalism (like certain areas of NY and CA) a lot of victory margins in elections are somewhat tenuous. It does not take very many to switch sides (or even sit on their hands) to make an electoral difference. When enough people have lost their healthcare they will respond by either voting against an incumbent or just staying home on election day.

Either way...it will be a bloodbath.

There are other things that will enter into it, too, such as the president's approval numbers. O'Bongo's coat tails are rather toxic these days and it is difficult to see what, if anything, could turn that around. A negative presidential approval rating has always translated into congressional losses for that party in a midterm election. Personally, I don't think that the approval ratings for the thug have bottomed out yet. I fully expect him to end up with numbers that are far lower than anything that GWB ever got in his second term.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
yes, I think the LL always thought it was going to be for other people.  Like my liberal lawyer friend who so arrogantly observed one day to me that something must be done about health care for all those people. I'm pretty sure he thought it would be all the uncaring conservatives who's be paying for it and not him.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
LINK

The Shaheen and Landrieu proposals are merely ploys for these Democrats to distance themselves from ObamaCare while still embracing it. But they can't have it both ways. Either they can vote to take down the whole regulate-subsidize-mandate apparatus for a year and propose major reforms to prevent a reprise of the last six weeks. Or else they will be enablers of the current and future disruptions, cancellations and limited health choices.

No doubt the ObamaCare Dozen noticed the Virginia Governor's race, which revealed that even presumably safe Democrats could be vulnerable on health care if Republicans can field decent candidates. As flawed and out-fundraised as GOP candidate Ken Cuccinelli was, he closed a huge gap in the polls by relentlessly belting ObamaCare in the final stretch.

Exit polls report that only 46% of the Virginia public supports ObamaCare, while 53% were opposed, 41% strongly opposed. Mr. Cuccinelli pulled 89% of those opposed. In 2014, Mr. Udall, Mr. Merkley and Virginia's Mark Warner might not be as fortunate as Terry McAuliffe.

The ObamaCare Dozen are receiving an overdue education in the damaging consequences of the bill they supported, all of which were predicted by critics in 2010. Any one of these Senators could have prevented the current madness by voting no. And now the President they empowered to govern from the ideological left has rejected even their de minimis fixes and is promising to "grind it out" even if the problems get worse. These Senators deserve to be held accountable at the ballot box.

I have already sent a scathing letter to both of my Democrat senators telling them that I would crawl across broke glass to vote for anyone who opposes them on the ballot.

Doctor Zero is predicting a full repeal and soon. Even that, though, will not save the Democrats because it is impossible to reset this situation back to where it started. The insurance industry has suffered immeasurable harm and it will take a very, very long time for it to recover. Perhaps, if it is repealed, there will be an opportunity for some of the free market things to take over on their own.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:00:56 PM by trapeze »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
About the only thing that can save Democrats in the 2014 election is Republicans giving them the cover they need. Delay of mandates; subsidies; slush-money to aid those being shocked. I can see the GOP going for any or all of that, not to mention their proclivity for just generally f**king things up.

I'd like to have confidence that the incredible pain we are watching unfold will result in an awakening that will punish Leftists in a meaningful way; that perhaps we can even turn the tide.

As it is, I think it more likely that we will witness a rapid domino effect of collapsing health care infrastructure, demagoguery by the Leftists parroted by the media propagandists, and a whole new political struggle over universal health care vs. cruel Republicans who want the poor and minorities to die.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
It would be very bad for the GOP to walk into that tar baby and you can bet that McCain will be leading that charge.

But, on the other hand, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to fix this quickly or satisfactorily. Even if they repealed it tomorrow it would be a year or two before anything approaching "normal" could be observed. In the meantime...people are going to die and those deaths will be laid at the feet of the Democrats who, in their zeal to reinvent the healthcare system in the USA, failed to observe the basic rule of medicine: First, do no harm.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
The Shaheen and Landrieu proposals are merely ploys for these Democrats to distance themselves from ObamaCare while still embracing it.

Observers in the state note that Landrieu is VERY beatable, but for some damned reason the elite GOP members refuse to back the real conservative (David Cassidy). Thus pushing their RINO candidate, splitting the vote, and giving Sister Sen Landrieu another win. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson