Author Topic: APA: Classifying pedophilia as a ‘sexual orientation’ was an ‘error’  (Read 1482 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
APA: Classifying pedophilia as a ‘sexual orientation’ was an ‘error’
BY LIFESITENEWS.COM
Mon Nov 04, 2013 14:23 ESTTags: American Psychiatric Association, Pedophilia

Washington, D.C., November 4, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – After a national backlash from social conservatives, the American Psychiatric Association (ASA) has dropped its designation of pedophilia as a “sexual orientation.”

In May, the APA released the Fifth Edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). In this document, the first new edition in 10 years, the APA described pedophilia as a sexual “orientation.”

The classification went largely unnoticed until last month, when the NeonTommy blog of the Annenberg Digital News at the University of Southern California published a blog post critical of the terminology.

Social conservatives said calling pedophilia an “orientation” was a step towards normalizing pedophiliac behavior.

But within days, the APA changed the classification, noting in a press release “'Sexual orientation' is not a term used in the diagnostic criteria for pedophilic disorder and its use in the DSM-5 text discussion is an error and should read 'sexual interest.’”

The APA said the unwelcome attention from conservative Christians helped them turn out a more precise and accurate guide.

{{snip}}

Just Facts President James Agresti told LifeSiteNews.com that the APA’s text changes – which only took place after aggressive action by social conservatives, and not through an internal corrective process – are a continuation of “a propensity for placing politics over science.”

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/apa-classifying-pedophilia-as-a-sexual-orientation-was-an-error
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Yeah, right...error my caboose!  APA is a bunch of lefty group-think asshats...such outfits should be ostracized, boycotted, banned, shunned, ridiculed...and whatever else you can think of!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

Defining pedophilia as 'sexual interest' sounds so benign.  Like having an interest in philately or numismatics.

Whatever happened to the word 'perversion'?

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Defining pedophilia as 'sexual interest' sounds so benign.  Like having an interest in philately or numismatics.

Whatever happened to the word 'perversion'?

That's most likely offensive to the criminals.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Yep, I don't find the term "interest" and more comforting.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
You just know the Left is dying to go there. What is more sacred than a responsible parent's duty to protect their child from predation, sexual or otherwise?

If they can knock down THAT barrier, and create a society where a parent's duty to protect their child from perverts is subverted by the state, they will have their utopia.

ETA: They're testing the waters here... throwing up a trial balloon. Just like all the other times they've floated and then retracted the idea, they'll gauge the reaction, assess from whom it's coming, and plan next-steps.

These people - and by that I mean all Leftists of any bent, not just the sexually perverse constituency - are never going to stop until enough of them are dead to keep the rest fearful of raising their heads.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:26:55 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
I don't believe it was an error either. We're supposed to believe the people that made that "error" are that unsophisticated that it got by them and all the people who reviewed/edited it?

They're after the children.  They always are.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
David Kupfer, MD, Chair, DSM-5 Task Force

Darrel Regier, MD, MPH, Vice-Chair, DSM-5 Task Force
 received the following letter from an organization with suggestions for the new DSM:

http://www.transgenderlaw.org/medicalhealthcare/NCLR_DSM_Statement.pdf

and not everyone thinks DSM is useful anyway:
Members of the DSM-5 Task Force have stressed the guidebook's importance across all medical specialties but particularly in primary care, as mental health conditions increasingly are being diagnosed in that setting. There is some uncertainty, however, in the medical community about how primary care doctors should use the revised manual. At the same time, some health professionals and the public are concerned about its contents.

At issue, critics say, is the creation of new diagnoses, such as disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, that could lead millions of healthy people to be medicated wrongly.

Just as concerning, some say, is the grouping of four autism-related classification from DSM-IV into one diagnosis — autism spectrum disorder. That change could cause children to lose access to essential services, including those that help improve educational performance, language skills and socialization.

Among the most vocal DSM-5 critics is psychiatrist Allen Frances, MD, who chaired the DSM-IV Task Force.

“The DSM-5 will magnify what already is a serious problem” of healthy people wrongly taking medications for conditions such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and depression, he said. For that reason, he urges physicians to use the revised manual “cautiously, if at all.”
link

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
You just know the Left is dying to go there. What is more sacred than a responsible parent's duty to protect their child from predation, sexual or otherwise?

If they can knock down THAT barrier, and create a society where a parent's duty to protect their child from perverts is subverted by the state, they will have their utopia.

ETA: They're testing the waters here... throwing up a trial balloon. Just like all the other times they've floated and then retracted the idea, they'll gauge the reaction, assess from whom it's coming, and plan next-steps.

These people - and by that I mean all Leftists of any bent, not just the sexually perverse constituency - are never going to stop until enough of them are dead to keep the rest fearful of raising their heads.

They've OBVIOUSLY never heard of maternal instinct. ::rockets::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
I don't believe it was an error either. We're supposed to believe the people that made that "error" are that unsophisticated that it got by them and all the people who reviewed/edited it?

Interesting point. I often hear attempts to discredit the Bible on the basis that it was written by a bunch of unintelligent, non-technological & unsophisticated people...

...however: they seem to have gotten it right on the perversion part of human behavior (as well as a lot of other matters of the human heart).
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers

Interesting point. I often hear attempts to discredit the Bible on the basis that it was written by a bunch of unintelligent, non-technological & unsophisticated people...

...however: they seem to have gotten it right on the perversion part of human behavior (as well as a lot of other matters of the human heart).

Right on. In my opinion, there is not a shred of biblical wisdom that does not apply to human beings of any era wishing to live a good life. It is the quintessential book of wisdom. People who insist its wisdom only applied to the era and cultures from which it sprang are only justifying their own proclivity to act outside its wisdom - and then they wonder why life is so sh*tty. Even people who do not believe in God or the bible live their lives either fulfilled or ruined by how closely or distantly their conduct reflects biblical wisdom, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Again, my opinion, based on my observation.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
All the self-help books in the world and nothing beats the Bible.  Too bad some of humanity is too stoopit to recognize it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
All the self-help books in the world and nothing beats the Bible.  Too bad some of humanity is too stoopit to recognize it.

Today on Twitter:

@rzimcanada
It's hard to be an atheist whenever you get a gnawing feeling in the pit of your stomach that some aspect of world *shouldn't* be this way.

;D
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop

Right on. In my opinion, there is not a shred of biblical wisdom that does not apply to human beings of any era wishing to live a good life. It is the quintessential book of wisdom. People who insist its wisdom only applied to the era and cultures from which it sprang are only justifying their own proclivity to act outside its wisdom - and then they wonder why life is so sh*tty. Even people who do not believe in God or the bible live their lives either fulfilled or ruined by how closely or distantly their conduct reflects biblical wisdom, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Again, my opinion, based on my observation.

Jeremiah 17:9 (NKJV)

9 “The heart is deceitful above all things,
And desperately wicked;
Who can know it?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jer%2017:9&version=NKJV

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
It should also be noted that "sophisticated" was not always complimentary. It was, in fact, an insult. The word comes from "sophistry", speaking in an erudite manner and otherwise copping the pose of an intellectual, but really just spewing a bunch of nonsense.

Maybe that's how the word morphed into meaning clever and intellectually diverse? Maybe somebody kept hurling the word at past centuries' versions of liberals and, being liberals, they assumed it simply had to be in praise of their obvious intellectual superiority.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly