Author Topic: Let's all meet at Weisshaupt's place...  (Read 1920 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Let's all meet at Weisshaupt's place...
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
This is it, isn't it Weisshaupt? Post the coordinates, and we'll be right along.
 ::beertoast::

At First, I Thought This Was A Top Secret Facility. Then They Opened The Doors And… WHOA: Zombie Apocalypse House

The zombie apocalypse may never happen, but hey, maybe it’s a good idea to own a house like this just in case. The fortress is virtually indestructible. Thieves, rioters and even an army couldn’t get in once you lock up.

It’s perfect. Especially if you hate socializing.

Nothing is getting in, or getting out, of this house’s complex.

More beautiful photo's @ link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Let's all meet at Weisshaupt's place...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
This is it, isn't it Weisshaupt? Post the coordinates, and we'll be right along.
 ::beertoast::

At First, I Thought This Was A Top Secret Facility. Then They Opened The Doors And… WHOA: Zombie Apocalypse House

The zombie apocalypse may never happen, but hey, maybe it’s a good idea to own a house like this just in case. The fortress is virtually indestructible. Thieves, rioters and even an army couldn’t get in once you lock up.

It’s perfect. Especially if you hate socializing.

Nothing is getting in, or getting out, of this house’s complex.

More beautiful photo's @ link...

I wish.

Really, something like that screams high value target, way more than bars on the widows and a high fence does..  and you gotta come out sometime.
IN Argentina, a ramshackle house with thorn bushes around it was better security than a nice house with a 8 foot fence.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
I'd take it.  It needs gunports, though.  And I'd be concerned about what appears to be generator or something similar out back in the second photo at the link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
That's the diversion.  W's down the block in a shed  ::laughonfloor::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »
My dream home....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
High value or not...I bet I could set up on the roof, work on my tan and enjoy an adult beverage, grab a bit of grub...and not miss one opportunity to drill a zombie in the mellon!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »
Hate to say it, but my wife, who works for an architecture firm calls B.S on the 16" to 24" deep solid concrete doors with only two hinges holding them up. I also noticed that in the back is just a rolling metal door. That won't stop larger caliber weapons. Maybe, that's a big maybe, small arms fire, but it won't stop larger caliber bullets. Neat house, but I know I could find a way to breach that building.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
Hate to say it, but my wife, who works for an architecture firm calls B.S on the 16" to 24" deep solid concrete doors with only two hinges holding them up. I also noticed that in the back is just a rolling metal door. That won't stop larger caliber weapons. Maybe, that's a big maybe, small arms fire, but it won't stop larger caliber bullets. Neat house, but I know I could find a way to breach that building.

My eye was immediately drawn to that, too. I knew instinctively that there was absolutely, positively zero way that those doors weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds. Have you ever seen the hinges that support a bank vault door? They are enormous. And these doors are bigger than any bank vault doors I've ever seen. So, yeah...no way.

And again, yeah, the overhead door would be pretty easy to breach.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »

My eye was immediately drawn to that, too. I knew instinctively that there was absolutely, positively zero way that those doors weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds. Have you ever seen the hinges that support a bank vault door? They are enormous. And these doors are bigger than any bank vault doors I've ever seen. So, yeah...no way.

And again, yeah, the overhead door would be pretty easy to breach.

Its obviously  a show piece meant more to impress than to defend.  However sometimes walls that look imposing are enough.   The Panels may have been done that way to suggest bulk where there isn't any.  If that deters anyone, then its done its job.  I can hear that discussion with the wife now -

(Rich) Man: "I want to build a massive 2 story concrete bunker to live in in case things go bad"
(Rich) Man's wife: "I am not living in a cave - I like lots of light and windows."
(Rich) Man: Okay, how about if we have Panels that slide out of the way?
(Rich) Man's Architect: "You want what? Not with concrete.. unless you plan to use very powerful lift motors under each one.. "
(Rich) Man's wife: "no, that will block the upper story"
(Rich) Man's Architect: "Maybe down into the ground then.. where is the water table?"

In the end they decide its easier and cheaper to just fake it.  After all, its more about bragging rights than real defense, and really, if those shutters are aluminum with plate steel, etc,  then they still pose a real barrier... just as that giant door.  The theory behind the "build an obvious castle" mode of prepping is that you look harder to hit than the next guy. Its says I am prepped, armed and ready.   Problem is, its also  says " I am a rich bastard and stocked to the gills!"

You won't get a casual looter.  But it will attack that Mad Max Hoarde just as surely as a barricaded and defended oil well in a gasoline deprived  Australia will.
You will get to fight the toughest combatants outside your gates. Yes you can defend from the roof and the Metal door and the blocked windows will stop them long enough-- providing someone doesn't snipe you off the roof.  Then they have as long as they want. I think   Avoiding confrontation if possible is the best course of action..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »
Some modern composites have strength greater than steel without the bulk...and if you have money for this kind of building then you can also afford clandestine perimeter defense and surveillance, multiple kill-zone traps and bait cover as well as clever traps and such throughout the building and better concealment and hides for the roof...not to mention just about every toy that shoots anything!

I guess I'm saying for those with a spouse..."Honey, this is the way it's going to be, don't like it, there's the door".
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:49:55 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
Nice house.

So, what are they going to eat and drink while the zombie hoards wait outside?

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »
Nice house.

Mostly Freeze Dried food. And I would hope they have a well, protected from sabotage..

Fuel is a bigger problem.  How do they heat that place? Is there a propane tank? And when does it run out..

Dang Zombies.

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 01:09:09 PM »
Nice house.

Mostly Freeze Dried food. And I would hope they have a well, protected from sabotage..

Fuel is a bigger problem.  How do they heat that place? Is there a propane tank? And when does it run out..

Dang Zombies.

It seems to have plenty of room to store supplies of all kinds. Installing an indoor (manual) well could provide water, but with only freeze dried foods available, plenty of water would be wasted. I'd suggest a water capture system of some sort placed on the roof.

A candle or oil lamp could warm a small room if needed.  As for cooking fuel, that one requires some thought.  A wood-burning fireplace, if there is one, is useless without wood and propane would be useless if the tank can not be refilled easily.

I'd go wood-burning and store firewood on the roof (I assume the roof is hefty!) and make sure there is plenty of furniture to chop up if trapped inside and the wood pile is depleted.

Alright. I'll take it.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Alright. I'll take it.

Then ya gotta move to Poland!

- Thomas Jefferson