Author Topic: Deadly Diseases Like Measles And Mumps Make Comeback  (Read 1345 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Deadly Diseases Like Measles And Mumps Make Comeback
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
Measles, mumps, whooping cough — all deadly diseases.

... But now doctors see an alarming trend — more and more people are coming down with these diseases.

.... Just how serious a problem is it when a child gets sick? Summer Robinson experienced it firsthand. Her son, Roarik, was just three-weeks-old when whooping cough put him in intensive care for five days and nearly killed him.Until recently — virtually eliminated thanks to vaccines that prevent kids from getting sick.

... Too young for the recommended vaccine, Roarik was defenseless. He’s living proof one contagious person can start an outbreak.

“If your ten-year-old has it and you’re in Walmart near my three-week-old baby, you could essentially kill my three-week-old baby because you didn’t want to vaccinate your child,” said Johnson.

::facepalm::   ::saywhat::

So, if these diseases can be prevented by a vaccine, why is a growing number of parents not getting their children the shots? Some fear the vaccines can do more harm than good.

Right.  So it's the dumbass parents who fear the vaccines, not the sheer number of illegal aliens that have invaded and infected our population.  That's why the "public service" ad I saw, several times, about the perils of whooping cough had "hispanic" actors in it; just a coinky-dink I guess.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Deadly Diseases Like Measles And Mumps Make Comeback
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

Right.  So it's the dumbass parents who fear the vaccines, not the sheer number of illegal aliens that have invaded and infected our population.  That's why the "public service" ad I saw, several times, about the perils of whooping cough had "hispanic" actors in it; just a coinky-dink I guess.

I'm thinking that the illegals are probably getting their kids vaccinated (for school) because they can get free care from the county health department so it must be the adults.  It's not someone's random 10-year old at Walmart infecting people.  It's the illegal adults who aren't vaccinated.

Whooping cough vaccines are very effective for protecting babies, but not 100% effective. Vaccine protection for whooping cough also decreases over time. If whooping cough is circulating in the community, there is still a chance that a fully vaccinated person can catch this very contagious disease. If you get the vaccine and still get whooping cough, you will have fewer coughing fits, shorter illness, and be less likely to suffer from disease complications.
link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
I'm thinking that the illegals are probably getting their kids vaccinated (for school) because they can get free care from the county health department so it must be the adults.  It's not someone's random 10-year old at Walmart infecting people.  It's the illegal adults who aren't vaccinated.

You may be right about that.  Unless there's a religious exemption, no vaccine means no school.

Whooping cough vaccines are very effective for protecting babies, but not 100% effective. Vaccine protection for whooping cough also decreases over time. If whooping cough is circulating in the community, there is still a chance that a fully vaccinated person can catch this very contagious disease. ...

Which, to hear them tell it, is how baby Roarik contracted it, from his father.

It's not just the vaccine-preventative diseases, though; there's been an upswing in and introduction of many "bugs".  Whoever heard of Chagas?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
TB is another that's getting more common.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
Each generation is subjected to fewer bacteria and viruses because of the meds prescribed for the simplest ill feeling. Not a good thing at all.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:06 PM »
True, but some of these illnesses are not bacterial, they're viral.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »

But a vaccine will work against both viruses and bacteria because it stimulates the body's immune system to fight the infection (whatever it is) directly.

Personally, I think that Jenny McCarthy should get the Nobel Prize for medicine for her pioneering research into vaccinations and how they are bad and definitively cause autism every time they are used.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »

But a vaccine will work against both viruses and bacteria because it stimulates the body's immune system to fight the infection (whatever it is) directly.

Personally, I think that Jenny McCarthy should get the Nobel Prize for medicine for her pioneering research into vaccinations and how they are bad and definitively cause autism every time they are used.

trap, I believe you're wrong.  The vaccines stimulate a particular programmed response; it's not one size fits all.  Introduce a polio bug, what evolves is a polio-fighting mechanism, not a general immune response.  Antibodies generated against a specific threat.

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »

You may be right about that.  Unless there's a religious exemption, no vaccine means no school.

I wonder if they'll do a study of the muslim immigrant population and to find out if such diseases are rampant in their communities.

Now I wonder if American madrassas have any vaccination requirements for student enrollment?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »
Mexi-Measles, Mongoloid-Mumps and Whooping Wahabis, oh my!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
Yes TB is on the upswing too.  I read a report several years ago that said in some cases the majority of immigrants from places like southern Asia showed evidence of prior TB exposure on chest xrays. Apparently it produces some sort of distinctive scar tissue on the lungs that can be seen in xrays.

As far as the whole controversy about vaccines, I have mixed thoughts on that. Artificially induced immunity is of course a very real thing and has saved probably millions of lives over the past century. But there might also be concern about some of the newer ones, or more specifically the immune load being put on very young children. I can see where it might be dangerous to subject an infant to these large combination vaccines on such an aggressive schedule. There's also some research suggesting that the immunological response is causing a change to the natural gut flora, and might be implicated in the increase of digestive disorders and other types of autoimmune conditions.

I think it also gets back to a question of philosophy, i.e. at what point does the almighty collective get to dictate personal healthcare? We haven't seen anything yet, just wait.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
I'll be sixty soon.  (boo.)  We got the vaccines, too, but not in the several combinations that exist now.  I wouldn't not vaccinate my child, I'd just do it one at a time, spaced over time.  It may be the bundled immunizations that are causing problems, and if there is a problem, there's no way to tell which one is the culprit.

However, I'm not a scientist nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn lately.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
My SIL recently asked if my girls got the gardisil vaccine because her doctor tried hard to push it on her 2 boys (ages 9 & 7).  I said no; I'd read too much literature on it to trust it etc. She hadn't done any reading about it and just went with her gut and thankfully said NO.

I too question the recent (last 15 years or so) push for more and more vaccines, earlier and earlier and bundled.

I think some of the earlier, HISTORIC vaccines were worthy.  Today? I don't know.  For some of those old diseases we all grew up hearing the scary stories about there was no doubt that people wanted the vaccines.  Now you have to convince people to get them because people aren't seeing the benefits.

I mean when a grocery store has a big sign out front saying get your flu shot or shingles shot today and you can get $10 off your groceries I got to wonder if it's so wonderful why the free groceries?

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 12:42:48 AM »
I'll be sixty soon.  (boo.)

I was very young, the early 60's.  I remember some sort of gathering where the kids were given the sugar cube with a drop of the polio vaccine on it (which one, I don't know; I have the round scar on my upper arm, too).

Now the dietician nazis would have a shyt fit at using a sugar cube.