Author Topic: Merged: The Russians are coming/GPS  (Read 1006 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Merged: The Russians are coming/GPS
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/world/europe/a-russian-gps-using-us-soil-stirs-spy-fears.html?ref=centralintelligenceagency&_r=0

Sorry about the Old Gray Hag link...but this is a seriously stupid idea...which is why I see O'Dumbass letting it happen...if it is ultimately bad for America the SCoaMF simply won't be able to refuse.

Anybody else get that vultures circling overhead kinda feeling or am I out in the cold on this one?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
A Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
A Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and ERIC SCHMITT
Published: November 16, 2013

WASHINGTON — In the view of America’s spy services, the next potential threat from Russia may not come from a nefarious cyberweapon or secrets gleaned from the files of Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor now in Moscow.

Instead, this menace may come in the form of a seemingly innocuous dome-topped antenna perched atop an electronics-packed building surrounded by a security fence somewhere in the United States.

In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said. These monitor stations, the Russians contend, would significantly improve the accuracy and reliability of Moscow’s version of the Global Positioning System, the American satellite network that steers guided missiles to their targets and thirsty smartphone users to the nearest Starbucks.

“They don’t want to be reliant on the American system and believe that their systems, like GPS, will spawn other industries and applications,” said a former senior official in the State Department’s Office of Space and Advanced Technology. “They feel as though they are losing a technological edge to us in an important market. Look at everything GPS has done on things like your phone and the movement of planes and ships.”

The Russian effort is part of a larger global race by several countries — including China and European Union nations — to perfect their own global positioning systems and challenge the dominance of the American GPS.

For the State Department, permitting Russia to build the stations would help mend the Obama administration’s relationship with the government of President Vladimir V. Putin, now at a nadir because of Moscow’s granting asylum to Mr. Snowden and its backing of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria.

But the C.I.A. and other American spy agencies, as well as the Pentagon, suspect that the monitor stations would give the Russians a foothold on American territory that would sharpen the accuracy of Moscow’s satellite-steered weapons. The stations, they believe, could also give the Russians an opening to snoop on the United States within its borders./quote]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/world/europe/a-russian-gps-using-us-soil-stirs-spy-fears.html?_r=0####&_r=1
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: A Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
Sorry.   ::gaah::

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: A Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
Sorry.   ::gaah::

Don't let it happen again or we'll be forced to bring back public flogging.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Merged: The Russians are coming/GPS
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »
I may do a lot of things, but I would never flog in public.  ::rockethrow::   ::oldman::   ::hysterical::