Author Topic: World's first 3D printed METAL gun  (Read 1729 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
World's first 3D printed METAL gun
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
NOW we're having fun!
Engineers at the Texas team of a custom manufacturing company want to make 3D printing more than a novelty, and may have accomplished just that with their latest endeavor: a high-powered, fully functioning metal handgun.

The team at Solid Concepts announced this week that that they’ve successfully designed, printed, assembled and (accurately) fired a 1911 pistol created using digital blueprints that were fed through an industrial 3D printer loaded with powdered metals.

“We’re proving this is possible,” Kent Firestone, Sound Concepts' VP of additive manufacturing, said in a statement this week. “[T]he technology is at a place now where we can manufacture a gun with 3D Printing.”

The world’s first open source 3D printed gun, the Liberator, made headlines earlier this year when developers at Texas-based Distributed Defense released their blueprints, in turn allowing anyone with access to the Internet and a mere hobbyist model machine to assemble a plastic firearm without even having to leave their home. With Solid Concepts’ latest effort, however, more advanced 3D printing fans are awarded the opportunity to make something much more in line with traditional firearms akin to what’s sold in stores.

“It functions beautifully,” Solid Concepts claims, adding that the company’s resident gun expert was able to hit a bull’s eye at nearly 100 feet away with the weapon, a feat hard to contest once someone watches a video of the weapon in action that has been uploaded to the web.

World's First 3D Printed Metal Gun

More at the link.  ::cool::
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:25:30 AM by AlanS »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: World's first 3D printed METAL gun
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
I saw this to yesterday and of course was impressed. The quaking vibration you're feeling is that of the statists and gun controlling freaks of the DemonRat party of devil worshiping scum. ::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
I am guessing, though, that a DMLS 3D printer is not something that can be had for a few hundred bucks. I'm guessing that buying one will probably set you back something on the order of $20,000 to $30,000. Just guessing because I couldn't find a price for one with a casual look via the net. It will probably be quite some time before you can print a gun for yourself.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
The Liberator!   ::whoohoo::

Pool resources, form a partnership...acquire a machine and go forth and produce!   ::cool::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
I am guessing, though, that a DMLS 3D printer is not something that can be had for a few hundred bucks. I'm guessing that buying one will probably set you back something on the order of $20,000 to $30,000. Just guessing because I couldn't find a price for one with a casual look via the net. It will probably be quite some time before you can print a gun for yourself.

Damn. I was hoping about 10 grand. More people can get 'em then.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
The Liberator!   ::whoohoo::

Pool resources, form a partnership...acquire a machine and go forth and produce!   ::cool::

I'm in!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
I suppose that you could buy one and then lease it out to people who wanted to make various prototypes (or gun parts) and that might make it somewhat affordable.

That I could not find a price listed for one (or find one on Ebay) is a bad sign as to the price. I didn't feel like calling and asking what the price was since I'm not a serious buyer. I suppose that I could be a serious buyer but I'm not at this point. I just can't justify a big dollar machine unless I have a business plan for it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »
Yeah, defintely one would need to do some legwork to see what kind of market might exist for this if operated as a for profit business, but I think a cooperative approach for the exclusive use by a liberty community makes the most sense and still allows for a certain amount of freelance work for revenue generation.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
Yeah, defintely one would need to do some legwork to see what kind of market might exist for this if operated as a for profit business, but I think a cooperative approach for the exclusive use by a liberty community makes the most sense and still allows for a certain amount of freelance work for revenue generation.

Unregulated,no numbers and no laws about pssesion or sales there of.Sounds like a winner to me.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »

Unregulated,no numbers and no laws about pssesion or sales there of.Sounds like a winner to me.

Life is good in Libertyville.