Author Topic: WWII vet  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: WWII vet
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
Aye, they're disappearing awfully fast now Alan.

Great links LV, will have to mine these in depth tonight! 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
We had a WWII vet at my Legion post pass away on 11/08, with the wake yesterday.  :'(

RIP, Orville George Carter.  ::USA::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
Sadly, the last surviving WWII veteran I knew died 2 yrs ago. My uncle was an amazing man and did share a few stories with me. I'm sure there were plenty more where those came from.

RIP, Uncle Frank. ::USA::

And a salute from me as well!   ::USA::

If your uncle was like my father, getting a chance to hear any of those stories was likely a rare pleasure. I was forever curious but he would always shrug off any requests to share. It wasn't until his later years that my older brother drew him out.

A very gentle man, my father killed a lot of people....and then carried the memory of that for the rest of his years. He also liberated at least one concentration camp. We delude ourselves into thinking that we're all that but I can't help suppress a cringe when I think of the sheer barbarity they must have encountered.

God bless them for the steely courage they found and God's grace that saw them through.