Author Topic: Flags Across America  (Read 1542 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Flags Across America
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
Flags Across America
Posted by LT Stephanie Young, Tuesday, November 5, 2013

With contributions from Petty Officers 3rd Class Lisa Ferdinando and Matthew Masaschi.

The sun began to rise as Coast Guard families, recruits, scouts and cadets gathered at Arlington National Cemetery. At 65 degrees with blue skies and the sun’s golden rays shining through autumn leaves, it was an iconic fall day; a day to honor the history, traditions and heritage of servicemembers past and present.

The attendees were assembled for the annual Flags Across America event. After comments by Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Bob Papp and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard Michael Leavitt, participants fanned out to place Coast Guard standards and national ensigns at the graves of Coast Guardsmen.

The event – first started in Veterans Day 1999 by retired Chief Warrant Officer Ed Kruska – honors the fallen and prepares the cemetery for Veterans Day.

“Since 1999 the event has grown from a mere handful of participants, including my parents, to having more than 86 Flags Across America chapters,” said Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard Reserve Force Mark Allen. “The event has even been carried out with Coast Guard standards being planted at gravesites in a number of different countries including the Philippines and Tunisia.”

While their impact has grown in scale, the humbling act of honoring generations before them has never changed. Each participant was there to pay their respects, including the littlest of attendees, like Alex Osetek. While just a toddler, Alex attended with his mother and father.

“This is something we did a few years ago, my husband and I, and it was so special and it was such a great opportunity and even though Alex is really young right now, this is something we wanted him to grow with an appreciation of,” said Lt. Jennifer Osetek, Alex’s mother and a reservist at Coast Guard Sector Baltimore. “We’ve tried to teach him from the very start and this is just a great way to really honor the people who have gone before us, and to make sure our Coast Guard veterans are always remembered.”

::USA::

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2013/11/flags-across-america-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheCoastGuardCompass+%28The+Coast+Guard+Compass%29#sthash.F5Wid9k8.dpuf
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Flags Across America
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:16:46 AM »
There are several groups that post flags at graves of veterans and their families, it's nice to see.  IIRC I think 'Soup was involved in one.

::grouphug::

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »
Some American Legion and VFW posts do this on Memorial Day.

I go to a local suburb's observance of Veterans Day to represent my Legion post, and I'm sometimes called on to give a short and patriotic presentation.

Next Memorial Day I think it'll be my turn in the barrel to give a short speech for my Legion's observance.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »

Boy Scouts (I was one) used to put flags on military graves.  I don't know if that tradition continues since the Rainbow Brigade took over Scouting.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »

I go to a local suburb's observance of Veterans Day to represent my Legion post, and I'm sometimes called on to give a short and patriotic presentation.

Next Memorial Day I think it'll be my turn in the barrel to give a short speech for my Legion's observance.

Well. Oldie, you got less than 7 months to work up a good speech!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »

Nah. It's all prepared!  ::USA::

I'll post it here sometime.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

Nah. It's all prepared!  ::USA::

I'll post it here sometime.

Please do!   ::thumbsup::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »
Here's the first part.

Memorial Day Invocation and Benediction

MEMORIAL DAY SERVICE INVOCATION

Today we are here to honor those that have served our country and given their lives so that we may stand here and still live in freedom. We need to be constantly reminded of our gift of freedom and of those who gave all to make sure future generations continue to know life in a free, democratic society.

Remembering those who have passed is only half of the task that is before us today. We must also carry their love, honor and duty forward to the future generations that will pass. Our children must know who they were, what they did and why they did it. To do anything less, will be a disservice to their sacrifice and their memories.

I stole that from somewhere - can't remember where or when, though.

It transitions to a second part, which I'm having some problems finding. The whole thing only takes about 5 minutes maximum. But I know I have it; it's because of the two new computers, but I still have my old laptop (that refuses to recognize my WIFI printer, which used to NO PROBLEM!  ::pullhair:: ) I haven't completed the complete file transfer yet. I'll find it, maybe today.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
Found it!

I did this about 15 years ago.  ::oldman:: The RED printed things are to be stressed during my presentation.

MEMORIAL DAY is a special day. Perhaps, however, it should also be thought of "REMEMBRANCE DAY.”

Please take some time to remember the importance of and to thank our fallen heroes who sacrificed their lives for our freedoms. As you observe this special holiday, remember what it means to be an American. It is not a day for political posturizing and speeches. It is not observed as the day when schools are dismissed for the summer, or when the swimming pools open, or when families go on their vacations.

To some, this is just another holiday; to we veterans, and to the men and women in uniform today, and to patriots, it is a time to remember and to honor our fallen comrades who gave their all in their service to our country. Please also remember those who are presently serving in our nation’s Armed Forces -  the Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Air Force - protecting our freedoms and our country, ever vigilant, during times of both peace and strife. If you see a veteran or a member of the military, give him or her a smile and a “thumbs up;” it will be appreciated.

At 3 PM on Memorial Day many radio stations play the “Memorial Day Anthem” (Also known as, ON THIS DAY). If you hear this tribute while you’re at home, I ask that you pause to reflect on what it means. If you’re driving, you may want to turn your headlights on as a way of recognizing the significance of this day.

Please – tell everyone you see today, and every day, that we must remember to put the “Memorial” back in Memorial Day. If we don’t do this, maybe no one will, and someday, perhaps no one will remember or even care.

© Jeffrey Lindstrom

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
I only have one quibble, in the first part I would strike "democratic society" and replace it with "representative Republic".

I'm a stickler for factual details!  We may have devolved into a democracy, but it is not what the Founders established for us!

::thumbsup::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »
I only have one quibble, in the first part I would strike "democratic society" and replace it with "representative Republic".

I'm a stickler for factual details!  We may have devolved into a democracy, but it is not what the Founders established for us!

::thumbsup::

Good suggestion!  ::thumbsup::  I'll do it!  ::USA::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Well, I gave my presentation this morning. After I introduced myself and gave them a very brief of the Coast Guard (about which almost everyone applauded), here is my little presentation.

Veterans Day Observance

Today we are here to honor those who fought and continue to fight so that we may stand here and do this today and still live in freedom. We need to be constantly reminded of our gift of freedom and of those veterans – Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Navy, Air Force, and the Merchant Marine – to make sure future generations continue to know life in a free, Representative Republic.

Remembering our veterans is only half of the task that is before us today. We must also carry their love, honor and duty forward to the future generations that will pass. Our children must know who they were, what they did and why they did it. For us to do anything less will be a disservice to their sacrifices and their memories.

Thanks for your suggestion Libertas!

I added the Merchant Marine, without which we may have lost WWII.

Luckily, the rain held off until just before I stepped up to the microphone. My presentation was very well received.

Now it's raining steadily and it's supposed to turn to snow - about 1 inch. WHEW!!!!

RickZ

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
I added the Merchant Marine, without which we may have lost WWII.

Then I won't tell you what my Dad, USN 1940-1962, thought of the Merchant Marine.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »

They say memory is the first thing to go. I can't remember what's second. ::unknowncomic::

Great speech!! ::USA::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »

They say memory is the first thing to go. I can't remember what's second. ::unknowncomic::

Great speech!! ::USA::

Huh? I can't remember what you said.  ::rolllaughing::

And now it's snowing and blowing. I'm glad it held off!  ::beertoast::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Good job, 'coastie, and thank you for your service.   ::USA::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
Well done, Sir.   ::USA::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
Thank you!

I'm glad it was yesterday! Today we have about 1" of snow, but the temp's 18o!!!!!!