Author Topic: Maurice Mad Dog Vachon 1929-2013  (Read 895 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Maurice Mad Dog Vachon 1929-2013
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
One of the greats, back in the day when wrestlers had more personality, than steroids.

Pro wrestler Maurice 'Mad Dog' Vachon dies at 84

A couple of pieces of my childhood are here

The Crusher cuts up Mad Dog Vachon

Offline Magnum

Re: Maurice Mad Dog Vachon 1929-2013
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Wow I remember the old Vern Gagne's AWA on Saturday night. I made sure I was the first to take my bath on Saturday night so I could watch............

Mad Dog, Crusher, Dick the Bruser, Nick Bockwinkel.Baron von Raschke  .................

RIP Mad Dog  (opps I almost said MD 20/20 ???)
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
I was a passive watcher of the AWA, even though it originated in MN. I really got into my pro-wrestling phase with the advent of cable TV, when WTBS superstation out of Atlanta used to beam out the National Wrestling Alliance - Georgia Championship Wrestling.

Dusty Rhodes, Chief Wahoo McDaniel, Abdullah the Butcher, Tony Atlas, Mr. Wrestling I & II, Stan Hansen, Tommy Rich...

After the AWA and the NWA both shed their superstars to Vince McMahon's burgeoning WWWF (later WWF then WWE), I used to get a kick out of the cable broadcasts from Madison Square Garden. Once a month, an obscure, brand new cable station that was dark almost all the time, would light up on a Saturday night and bring all the greats together in a live extravaganza. I don't recall whether Vachon was ever a part of those, but some of his contemporaries definitely were.

RIP
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
Saturday night in the 50s we watched Studio Wrestling. I'm guessing it was mostly regional guys from Pittsburgh with a few superstars.
Bruno Sammartino, The Crusher had the Claw, Juming Johnny DiFazio and many others.

Occasionally, my dad would take me to a high school gym to see this live.

This was all way before Vince McMahon

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »
Wow I remember the old Vern Gagne's AWA on Saturday night. I made sure I was the first to take my bath on Saturday night so I could watch............

Mad Dog, Crusher, Dick the Bruser, Nick Bockwinkel.Baron von Raschke  .................

And Antonio "Argentina" Rocca, and Yukon Eric.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.