Author Topic: Russell Crowe as "Noah"  (Read 1330 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Russell Crowe as "Noah"
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
This trailer gave me major league goosebumps. To be sure, it appears there are extrabiblical action sequences and an added adversarial twist, but it appears to unambiguously leave the biblical story of Noah to stand on its own, and likewise, assumes the presence of God.

I'm officially stoked.

NOAH Official Trailer [HD]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Russell Crowe as "Noah"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
Whoa!

(for the record...do these events pre-date the implosion of ObamaCare...or are they merely one result of it??)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
Yeah, whoa!  Looks good; now I'm stoked as well.  Gonna have to wait for the DVD though. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
Noah was a prepper. Looks like this film will even include some unprepared masses seeking to help themselves to the labor of the prepper once the SHTF.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
Ok...I'm in.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »
Noah was a prepper. Looks like this film will even include some unprepared masses seeking to help themselves to the labor of the prepper once the SHTF.

“We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us,” Tyler Smith says. “We are your worst nightmare, and we are coming.”

Same as it ever was.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Funny that this should rear its head again. Shades of things to come?

I'm in  ;)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
This looks AWESOME!!!! of course Russell Crowe is a bonus!! ;D ;D ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
"Vooba, vooba, vooba".

"NOAH".

Noah from Bill Cosby's Routines
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:45:06 PM by Pandora »

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »
Until I saw the trailer I could not imagine Russell Crow as Noah. Perfect.

I am not in the way of believing that God spoke to Noah like a voice from the sky or something. I think God may have spoken to him like He speaks to modern day preppers...that inward drive, the knowing of something...not everything, but enough to get you moving.

What do y'all think?
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
God spoke to me through a license plate and bumper stickers once. Sounds eccentric, but I'm dead serious. I think He's God, and He'll get our attention in whatever fashion suits Him. Can that be a voice from the sky? He's God.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »

I am not in the way of believing that God spoke to Noah like a voice from the sky or something. I think God may have spoken to him like He speaks to modern day preppers...that inward drive, the knowing of something...not everything, but enough to get you moving.

What do y'all think?

General rule for this (not that we “box” God or that He ascribes to our rules) is that in the Old Testament God spoke directly to the major & minor prophets via voice, in person w/Jacob, bush w/Moses: Hosea, Moses , Noah, Joseph, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel . . .

…in the New Testament through Jesus Christ & today via the Holy Spirit (through feeling and thought).

When people say that men wrote the Bible, they are ½ correct: men wrote according to the promptings of God, who is the author of the entire Bible (which is why the myriad of dots connect so nicely).

We have to be careful & not project our own thoughts into a “God told me ____” sort of thing. If I ever think that God is communicating to me I look for additional external sources (Bible, church leaders, other credible believers). However, when someone approaches you & confirms information that you previously “heard” from God – that’s often a “goosebump” moment!

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »

Hebrews 1:1-3

New International Version (NIV)

God’s Final Word: His Son

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
2 Peter 1:21
For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

The Word matters....what else does? Those who spoke falsely, God condemned:Jeremiah 14:14
Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.

Matthew 7:15
[ True and False Prophets ] “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Deuteronomy 12:32
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Deuteronomy 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

21 And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »

What do y'all think?

General rule for this (not that we “box” God or that He ascribes to our rules) is that in the Old Testament God spoke directly to the major & minor prophets via voice, in person w/Jacob, bush w/Moses: Hosea, Moses , Noah, Joseph, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel . . .

…in the New Testament through Jesus Christ & today via the Holy Spirit (through feeling and thought).

When people say that men wrote the Bible, they are ½ correct: men wrote according to the promptings of God, who is the author of the entire Bible (which is why the myriad of dots connect so nicely).

We have to be careful & not project our own thoughts into a “God told me ____” sort of thing. If I ever think that God is communicating to me I look for additional external sources (Bible, church leaders, other credible believers). However, when someone approaches you & confirms information that you previously “heard” from God – that’s often a “goosebump” moment!

I am certain God can speak to His people in any way He chooses, yet I did seem to put Him in a box, didn’t I?   The point about the Old and New Testaments was very enlightening and should have been obvious to me.

Being careful not to project our own thoughts is also a valid point.   I’ll try to explain why I applied His voice to my penchant for prepping.

I grew up in a typical household in the late fifties, early sixties.  My best friend lived three doors down and we were constantly together.   We had no worries. Our fathers went to work in the morning and our mother’s stayed at home cleaning the house and caring for the children and preparing the meal that would be placed on the table at exactly 6:30 P.M.

Perhaps this is not unusual for two little girls in grade school back then, but our play and conversation was filled with (in retrospect) games about prepping.  We didn’t recognize it as such and our parents certainly never spoke about prepping.  Indeed, they hardly spoke of anything in front of the children.

We thought it was great fun to play “what if”.  What would we need if stranded on a desert island?  (Soap to wash our clothes was one memorable item LOL!)  We’d tramp down the milkweed field and create a hideout and then, as we enjoyed popsicles on the front porch of whoever’s house we happen to be at, we would determine the supplies we’d need to live there for an extended period.

Now, a quick fast forward to my teen-age years;  There was an entire group of us, some whom I still know to this day, who would make lists of survival supplies and discuss a joint purchase of wilderness property where we would survive in the future.  We opined about the last days of the United States – perhaps the world.  The conversations varied between the religious aspect (apocalypse) and being attacked by the U.S.S.R, China or some other unknown force.  We were not hippies or stoners, just average middle class teenagers talking about TEOTWAWKI.

Well, this is getting way too long, but I have to finish it up by saying life happened after those years; we all grew up and joined the adult rat-race world.  Y2K came and went and as much as I scoffed about those who feared the Great Computer Glitch, I still filled my bathtub with water the night before.

But a weird thing happened on the outer-edge of my sub-conscience – perhaps I should be prepared for “something”.  This thought has never left; it has only increased in urgency.  I began to wonder about the origin of that little voice that has spoken to me since I was a child.  Maybe God, who will provide for those who love Him, is giving me (and thousands of others, this time) a heads up.

Or I’m full of sh*t. 
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
...But a weird thing happened on the outer-edge of my sub-conscience – perhaps I should be prepared for “something”.  This thought has never left; it has only increased in urgency.  I began to wonder about the origin of that little voice that has spoken to me since I was a child.  Maybe God, who will provide for those who love Him, is giving me (and thousands of others, this time) a heads up.

Or I’m full of sh*t.

Could be. I’m certainly not in a position to say. God may have planted that idea…or not. But I also don’t think it matters in this particular instance One of my life verses from Scripture is from second Timothy:

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power and of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

God has given us sound minds with which to figure things out. It is that mind that separates us from the rest of creation. It’s also evidence of creation (vs. evolution). For, even if inert, non-intelligent, non-rational, non-thinking, non-moral chemicals struck by lightning could have sparked life…where did the intelligence, rationality & morality come from? Pragmatism is one thing: a metric for defining good & evil quite another.As a favorite Christian Apologist is fond of saying "If there is no God, then nothing is wrong"

Here’s the point: even without God’s prompting, it is pragmatically good to be prepared (even as we are prepared for Christ’s return (Matthew 25: 1-13)) for the future. God gave you the mind which you use intelligently to guide you through life. You don’t inquire before taking each step as you walk down the sidewalk – you ask for guidance to make the right choices (trimming the lamp wicks*) in life and for wisdom to discern.

So, no, you’re not full of it…simply an intelligent creation of God who, hopefully, has made a decision for Christ…for that will be the ultimate “prepping” for uncertain earthly circumstances.

;)

Matthew 25:1-13 | New King James Version (NKJV)

The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins

25 “Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming;[a] go out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed* their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’ 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.

11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.

Footnotes:

Matthew 25:6 NU-Text omits is coming.
    Matthew 25:13 NU-Text omits the rest of this verse.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2025:%201-13&version=NKJV