Author Topic: Security Cameras  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Security Cameras
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
Logitech just released a software update for its "Alert" brand security cameras, which appears to fix the major problem I had with them (motion detection wasn't working correctly ) , so I can now actually recommend them. If your remote location has an internet feed, these are ideal:

They are Hi-def, include night vision, and they will send email alerts when motion is detected. You can  look at a live feed on logitech web site, and they offer an $80 annual subscription that gives you access to recorded video on the camera as well.  However, I simply set up a FTP server and I mirror the video directory to a local location where I can more easily watch it. I also have access to the Host machine via VNC.. - If anyone wants helps setting something up like this, just ask.

For a "cheaper" platform to run this on, check out the various Atom powered netbooks - most are in the $200-300 range.  I needed this machine to double as the Entertainment PC, to I got one of these - downside is they need an external USB based drive to become fully useful and its a bit more expensive. Upside is they are really quiet, use only 65 Watts and are pretty powerful little platforms - something you need to pay attention to if you plan to power everything using alternative energy. This also collects and publishes out  our weather station data - and of course it will be pressed into duty doing Battery Monitoring and Greenhouse control when we get there.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Security Cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
Another item I have to look into.  Would like some monitoring capability up at the lake by the pole barn.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.