Author Topic: Obama Removes 'God' from Gettysburg Address  (Read 1372 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Obama Removes 'God' from Gettysburg Address
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
... when reciting the great speech for a Ken Burns documentary. 

Burns had filmed all living presidents as well as various Hollywood personalities and luminaries to pay homage to the speech which was delivered by Abraham Lincoln 150 years ago, today.

WMAL reports:

Curiously enough, in his version of the speech, President Barack Obama's delivery contained an omission - in a line that every other celebrity delivered as "that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom," the President left out the words "under God."

UPDATE: A text box now appears on the Ken Burns website www.learntheaddress.org which states: "Did you know there are five versions of the Gettysburg Address? We asked President Obama to read the first, the Nicolay Version."  A cached version of the same webpage from several days ago shows no such reference.

There are five versions?  O rly?  Which one did Lincoln give?  That's the official address.

What a bunch of lying bastids.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Obama Removes 'God' from Gettysburg Address
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
...praying that God returns the favor & removes Obama from...

(I'll be right back...)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
Yeah, rough drafts are so the final product:

We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable, that all men are created equal and independent; that from that equal creation they derive in rights inherent and unalienables, among which are the preservation of life, and liberty and the pursuit of happiness;

Ken Burns is a leftard protecting his Chocolate Jesus from rightfully deserved derision.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:39 AM »
...praying that God returns the favor & removes Obama from...

(I'll be right back...)

And Dear Lord, whatever we can do to help you...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
Apparently, Lincoln overcome with emotion added "under God" as he spoke. That's considered the official version because that's what he said there. Lincoln, unlike BO, didn't have a problem with God. Lincoln, not unlike many people, had a problem with organized religion but considered himself a God-fearing man.

Now what would be the point of having the prez read a draft?  That's stupid. Did the others read drafts? No, they did not.

The president was the only person to tape a version, known as the 'Nicolay' version, which perhaps most notably is one that does not include "under God" in the second to last sentence. The selection came at the request of the documentarian Ken Burns, who has a team heading up the project. One of the producers told CNN they gave Obama this version to use to highlight that there are multiple versions.
link

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
It would be easier to get Obama out of a dress than for him to risk acknowledging there is an All-Knowing God out there that knows what lurks in his heart...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:32 PM »
It would be easier to get Obama out of a dress than for him to risk acknowledging there is an All-Knowing God out there that knows what lurks in his heart...

Yep. He ad-libbed the last sentence.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
I don't think this was the 1st time he did that. I recall something from a few years ago.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Apparently, Lincoln overcome with emotion added "under God" as he spoke...

But that proves that Barack is just like Lincoln...as Barack was just as overcome by emotion when he "God blessed" Planned Parenthood.

#SameEmotionDifferentVenue
Obama says "god bless planned parenthood"!!!
(oh, yeah & God Bless, uhm...America, too)

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
I don't think this was the 1st time he did that. I recall something from a few years ago.

There's this.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/10/19/remarks-president-a-dscc-dinner-rockville-maryland

In referencing the Declaration of Independence, Owebama stated in a prepared dinner speech:

‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that each of us are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’”

The actual quote:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

Then there was the 2013 Inauguration.  While he didn't drop 'under God', it was dropped from the Inaguration prayer, and that was certainly no accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vcHJ_XCVuUQ

He's done it more times, I'm sure, like you said.  He has an aversion to alienating his base while happily pissing off the other's base.  It's just more of him extending his middle finger, as he did while 'praising' McCain after winning the 2008 election.

Obama Gives McCain The Finger

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:05:08 AM »
Yes.  He will only invoke the name as a prop when it suits his purpose...otherwise God is just an inconvenience to him.

Boy, does that fool have a big surprise in store for him when he discovers what inconvenience really means!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
I don't think he's playing to his base.  I think he has a major problem with God. He's so uncomfortable with the concept he can't even say the name.  I know nominal or nonbelievers who are more at ease with saying God's name than this guy.  He has an aversion.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »
He's so uncomfortable with the concept he can't even say the name.

The President Man-child just can't stand the competition.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
He's so uncomfortable with the concept he can't even say the name.

The President Man-child just can't stand the competition.

::thumbsup::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
He should love to say God. It'd be like talking to himself.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »
He should love to say God. It'd be like talking to himself.

He would screw that up even with TOTUS...he'd keep saying his own name...