Author Topic: Texas Drivers Pulled Over, Asked For DNA Samples By Federal Contractors  (Read 9955 times)

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood

Some drivers along a busy Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at a police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.

It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.

"It just doesn't seem right that you can be forced off the road when you're not doing anything wrong," said Kim Cope, who said she was on her lunch break when she was forced to pull over at the roadblock on Beach Street in North Fort Worth.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is spending $7.9 million on the survey over three years, said participation was "100 percent voluntary" and anonymous.

But Cope said it didn't feel voluntary to her -- despite signs saying it was.

"I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.

Once parked, she couldn't believe what she was asked next.

"They were asking for cheek swabs," she said. "They would give $10 for that. Also, if you let them take your blood, they would pay you $50 for that."

At the very least, she said, they wanted to test her breath for alcohol.

She said she felt trapped.

"I finally did the Breathalyzer test just because I thought that would be the easiest way to leave," she said, adding she received no money.

Read more...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Texas Drivers Pulled Over, Asked For DNA Samples By Federal Contractors
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
I wouldn't have done a damned thing to satiate the Gestapo troopers.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
You don't allow them to "force you into a parking spot"; you stay right where you are, roll down the window just enough to be heard, say no, and ask if you're free to go or under arrest.  If they say "free to go", go.  If they say "under arrest", ask the charges.  And THAT'S ALL; don't move, don't get out of the vehicle and make sure your phone is filming.  It's going to take some time, more time than if you just complied, but if more people did it, they'd stop this crap.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
I'd have to politely inform the officer that I did not want to participate in the voluntary survey.  That I understood they were doing their jobs, that I appreciate and respect our law enforcement officers, but I was uncomfortable with the situation.

There is a way to refuse and a way not to refuse. Generally, I've found that todays LEO's have over bloated egos. So, stroke them a bit and get on your way.  Creating a battle on the side of the road is nonproductive. File a complaint after they release you.

There will be enough compliant, uninformed people they can swab after you leave.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »
LOL.  Hope that works out for you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
LOL.  Hope that works out for you.

It has not happened to me yet, so I can't say.

I do know that it easier to talk a big game before ever playing the game.

Once upon a time I was at my desk typing and saw a bit of green flash by the window. I thought nothing of it.  Then I saw another flash of green. I just kept typing.

A few minutes later I hear a mans voice in a very authoritative tone say "ma'm back away from your computer"

Whaaaa? I keep typing. It does not compute. It was not within my reality or experience.

MA'M BACK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER!

I turn slightly to my right and look straight into a gun barrel.

Now, if you are watching this on television, you're thinking back away from the computer dumb sh*t.

But that is not reality.

Reality is far different than a newspaper article or story or movie.

I worked for a company that built turbines. Big ones.  I do not know why the ATF raided them. I know they had customers and employees alike in the shop lined up against the walls and that they took everything out of my desk including my joke file (which they read and laughed over first) and placed it in little plastic evidence bags.

I know my job ended shortly thereafter. Everyone's did.

You know, it even took a few seconds looking down that barrel before I'd back away from my computer.  It just didn't compute LOL.

So, until what you hear and see actually happens to you, there is no way to judge your reaction.  You can only hope it is one that does not get you killed or arrested.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:01:19 PM »

Right.  We'll see.

There was nothing at risk for you except your employer's crap ... and your job, I guess.

Lots more at stake when my Constitutional rights are at stake.  Let 'em kill me.  Or try.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
I'm not about to go out of my way to be antagonistic in any such situation, but I am also done with giving them the "solace" (for lack of a better word) that it's ok we know you're just "doing your job". Well if that's your damn job then you need to be ashamed. You need to be ridiculed and held in low regard. Because if it was my job, I wouldn't do it. Yet they do. Why? The fairy dust promise of a government pension is that compelling? Seems to me they're tacitly announcing what side they've chosen, and they're going to be inheriting a world where associations with the regime and its enforcement arm is decidedly a liability.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »
You don't allow them to "force you into a parking spot"; you stay right where you are, roll down the window just enough to be heard, say no, and ask if you're free to go or under arrest.  If they say "free to go", go.  If they say "under arrest", ask the charges.  And THAT'S ALL; don't move, don't get out of the vehicle and make sure your phone is filming.  It's going to take some time, more time than if you just complied, but if more people did it, they'd stop this crap.

And be sure to get the badge number.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
I'm not about to go out of my way to be antagonistic in any such situation, but I am also done with giving them the "solace" (for lack of a better word) that it's ok we know you're just "doing your job". Well if that's your damn job then you need to be ashamed. You need to be ridiculed and held in low regard. Because if it was my job, I wouldn't do it. Yet they do. Why? The fairy dust promise of a government pension is that compelling? Seems to me they're tacitly announcing what side they've chosen, and they're going to be inheriting a world where associations with the regime and its enforcement arm is decidedly a liability.

Not complying, however politely, is seen as antagonistic; get used to it.

Multiple YouTubes show how it's done.  They have their script, you have to have yours and it's sure to get 'em fumble-footed, so they'll escalate.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

With that definition, I'm proud to be an antagonist.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:47 PM »

I've been getting used to it for the past few years. I've been likewise getting my mind used to where this is taking us, and by that I don't mean getting used to clicking my heels together and offering the salute when my papers are demanded.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »

Right.  We'll see.

There was nothing at risk for you except your employer's crap ... and your job, I guess.

Lots more at stake when my Constitutional rights are at stake.  Let 'em kill me.  Or try.

Pandora,

I feel the same way you do, believe me.

I wish I could make you a nice cup of tea or coffee, or whatever you like, sit down and talk with you across my kitchen table.

I love the way you think, the way you express yourself. 

You are fighting battles.  I want to be free to fight the war.

The petty BS is gonna happen, it will keep happening because of the idiots who comply.

I won't make my stand at a highway checkpoint.  There are those that should, who are perhaps ordained to do so.

We each have, will learn, our calling.

I will stand with you if you need me. As I will for others.  But no one can fight every battle.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:19 PM »
I'd take that offer of coffee and bring home-made bread.  You'd like it, I hope.

... no one can fight every battle.

KC, I've been fighting these battles all my adult life -- or, rather, and more truthfully, ducking them.

I don't have my own business because I wasn't going to deal with the bureaucratic bullsht.  Not the right sink, not the right oven, health inspection, OSHA compliance.  Okay, not.

I had to fight the gawdamn county just to build a garage on my own property -- the Health Dept. bitch threatened to shut off the power to my house if I didn't jump through her hoops, and I had to appeal to the State for permission to not termite treat a totally steel and concrete-composite structure, to do an end-run around the County.

I don't fly because I'll get arrested in the airport, if not just for the look on my face, but for refusing to have my rights to my person and personal effects violated.  So, I drive, at an inconvenience and with great anger.

I've been ticketed for a bullsht violation by a bullsht cop, went to Court and had the judge upbraid me because of the look on my face while he bought the liar's version.

I've been stopped by a faux Homeland Security "officer" for driving around their bullsht "no passing on the right" traffic gawdamn rules, a situation the DOT set up during road "construction", and I played that.  That won't happen again.

I can't deposit or withdraw my own money from my own bank account without being tracked and reported.

I had to get government permission to exercise my 2A right to be armed.

I have a shower head that spits water on my mid-back length hair and a toilet that needs coaxing to deal with the Crohn's results.

I moved out of my parents' home at nineteen because I was more than ready to be an adult, to make decisions and accept the consequences.  And I have.

There's probably at least a hundred other incidents forgotten in the drift of time that's my almost sixty years -- probably no more and no less than your average American -- and, yes, I'm yelling, I'M DONE.

Now, we all do what we gotta do.  And this regards the rest.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
If any one thinks he or she has problems now, wait until the EPA gets the "right" to control every drop of water on your property and in your home.  ::pullhair::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
Yeah, thanks, OC, that helped.   ::saywhat::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
Yeah, right.  ::confused:: (I noted your smiley.)

It certainly didn't help me. I just get pisseder and pissteder as time goes on....

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »
Yeah, right.  ::confused:: (I noted your smiley.)

It certainly didn't help me. I just get pisseder and pissteder as time goes on....

Yah, dood.  "Smiley".  It's my favorite; reflects my expression in real-time.  I'm just .....blessed.  Bwahah.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
 ::hysterical::

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
When I saw this I wasn't surprised (unfortunately), but it still pissed me off nonetheless for several reasons.

For starters, this whole thing stinks to high heaven - and should to any thinking individual. What's most pathetic about it is the explanation that they tried to pass off to the public. A study? Yep. Whatever.

So let me get this straight; allegedly

- "It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers." Really? Since when does this require a DNA test - those same DNA tests that are said to be, still in 2013, very expensive and still a bit time consuming? Further re: DNA, since when did Breathalyzers become so unreliable that they also require a second sample to be effective? Surely they aren't suggesting that they've become so unreliable that they will need to release, drop charges and provide restitution for those who've served time since they've been allowed to be used as evidence in court? They are willing to settle with each citizen that has paid thousands over the years in fines and fees to both the gvt as well as defense attorneys after being charged/imprisoned/fined for what is now, possibly being suggested is not as accurate as they once thought in catching drunk drivers as well as those under the influence of drugs? My ass. As a side note they've been using Breathalyzers to test for also drugs - not just booze - for the past few years from what I understand.

So is that what they are saying? Of course not.

Another thing that is beyond laughable is the "anonymous" part. Seriously? LOL! My pet unicorn that poses as a houseplant wouldn't even buy that crap. But hey - then again - the avg citizen, unfortunately, is all to willing to swallow that excuse. Unreal. I guess that they forgot that some of us out there actually have a couple of brain cells together and know damn well that's not only ridiculous to try to claim - but highly improbable (yes, I'm being generous here) unless all forms of video have been done away with - as well as pens, pencils, paper, voice boxes and human memory no longer exist. As if this entire thing wasn't filmed by on & off site cameras six ways 'till Sunday? None of the cops were taking notes of license plates & descriptions of the people as well as their cars?

I would hope at least a few of the folks knew damn well that even a Breathalyzer is all they need to obtain DNA. I would also hope that each of these people who complied realize that they are now part of a network of databases.

I mean, seriously? This stinks to high heaven of Obama for that reason alone - only he or someone like him would assume that all citizens are this. freaking. stupid. And, unfortunately, many are - and many just don't care, which they clearly banked on here.

Lastly, the only thing that does make sense here is that they are trying to buy the folks off by offering the detainees money for agreeing to this "study." Of course the cops are going to offer money knowing damn well that many broke, clueless idiots out there are far too happy to offer up whatever they ask for in return for a few bucks (taxpayer dollars.) And they know damn well most of those who weren't broke probably just shrugged it off as "doing their part for the community, and the majority of the others just wanted to get to where they were going and complied b/c they wanted to get to work, or whatever. ::bashing::

While I'm not holding my breath, I really hope Rick Perry steps in for some answers. Okay rant's over. For now.  ::outrage::