Author Topic: UN doc would give "Mother Earth" human rights  (Read 2249 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
UN doc would give "Mother Earth" human rights
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
UNITED NATIONS — Bolivia will this month table a draft United Nations treaty giving "Mother Earth" the same rights as humans — having just passed a domestic law that does the same for bugs, trees and all other natural things in the South American country.

The bid aims to have the UN recognize the Earth as a living entity that humans have sought to "dominate and exploit" — to the point that the "well-being and existence of many beings" is now threatened.

The wording may yet evolve, but the general structure is meant to mirror Bolivia's Law of the Rights of Mother Earth, which Bolivian President Evo Morales enacted in January.

That document speaks of the country's natural resources as "blessings," and grants the Earth a series of specific rights that include rights to life, water and clean air; the right to repair livelihoods affected by human activities; and the right to be free from pollution.

It also establishes a Ministry of Mother Earth, and provides the planet with an ombudsman whose job is to hear nature's complaints as voiced by activist and other groups, including the state.

"If you want to have balance, and you think that the only (entities) who have rights are humans or companies, then how can you reach balance?" Pablo Salon, Bolivia's ambassador to the UN, told Postmedia News. "But if you recognize that nature too has rights, and (if you provide) legal forms to protect and preserve those rights, then you can achieve balance."

H/T rayra

I say we bomb Bolivia next, right after we relocate the UN there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:54:47 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: UN doc would give "Mother Earth" human rights
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
"I say we bomb Bolivia next, right after we relocate the UN there."

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
Well , to start with , it looks like she has a cancerous tumor located in Bolivia which needs to be removed !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
Heh. 

"(Ahem) Mother?  You may experience some discomfort."

::hysterical::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
Rusty Bill posted this:

"There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who 'love Nature' while deploring the 'artificialities' with which 'Man has spoiled '"Nature."' The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artifacts are not part of 'Nature' — but beavers and their dams are. But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men) the Naturist reveals his hatred for his own race — i.e., his own self-hatred.
In the case of 'Naturists' such self-hatred is understandable; they are such a sorry lot. But hatred is too strong an emotion to feel toward them; pity and contempt are the most they rate.

As for me, willy-nilly I am a man, not a beaver, and H. sapiens is the only race I have or can have. Fortunately for me, I like being part of a race made up of men and women — it strikes me as a fine arrangement — and perfectly 'natural' Believe it or not, there were 'Naturists' who opposed the first flight to old Earth's Moon as being 'unnatural' and a 'despoiling of Nature.'" - Robert Heinlein

Pretty much applies here AND in the "Duh Wun snarks at guy about gas prices" thread.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »

"If you want to have balance, and you think that the only (entities) who have rights are humans or companies, then how can you reach balance?" Pablo Salon, Bolivia's ambassador to the UN, told Postmedia News. "But if you recognize that nature too has rights, and (if you provide) legal forms to protect and preserve those rights, then you can achieve balance."

Nope, not interested in balance.

I'm at the top of the food chain--plan to stay there.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »
So the sheep are safe now,right?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »

Oh hell no; lamb chops are always on the dinner menu.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »

Not what I was thinking but OK. But isn't that raping mother earth to eat her creatures?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »

Not what I was thinking but OK. But isn't that raping mother earth to eat her creatures?

Yah, I know what you were thinking because you have a dirtah mind.  And, no; lamp chops does not equate to rape in any rational universe.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »

Nope, not interested in balance.

I'm at the top of the food chain--plan to stay there.

"I'm at the top of the food chain--plan to stay there."

Amen!  Let the (un)naturalist place theirself below lesser creatures!