Author Topic: Wisconsin’s Weapon for Icy Roads: Cheese Brine!  (Read 1129 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Wisconsin’s Weapon for Icy Roads: Cheese Brine!
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
As Wisconsin drivers contend with this winter's storms, they can thank mozzarella and provolone for keeping them on the road.

In a recent report, the Milwaukee Department of Public Works noted cheese brine’s “distinctive odor.” Norby says this scent is tough to describe, but likens it to the smell of whey (not exactly a ringing endorsement). Still, he manages some cheesehead pride: “I don’t really mind it. Our roads smell like Wisconsin!”

The odor stems from organic matter, little bits of cheese flotsam left from the brining process. It’s these bits that make brine so effective as a road de-icer. Regular salt brine has a freezing point of 6 below zero, but cheese brine doesn’t freeze up until 21 below.

It also keeps rock salt from bouncing off the road. In a process called pre-wetting, the salt is coated in brine before hitting the highway. Norby says up to 30 percent of dry salt can bounce off the road; after a good brining, that figure is next to zero.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Wisconsin’s Weapon for Icy Roads: Cheese Brine!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
Still, he manages some cheesehead pride: “I don’t really mind it. Our roads smell like Wisconsin!”

As opposed to "Our roads smell like Chicago!"
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
Still, he manages some cheesehead pride: “I don’t really mind it. Our roads smell like Wisconsin!”

As opposed to "Our roads smell like Chicago!"

::laughonfloor::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
It works OK, unless they use brine from Swiss cheese. Then there are holes in it.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
It works OK, unless they use brine from Swiss cheese. Then there are holes in it.

Lord I love me a groaner! Nice one OC.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
Hey, who cut the...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »

Lord I love me a groaner! Nice one OC.

At first you hate 'em, but they begin to groan on you!  ::laughonfloor::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
Now if they could just find something that doesn't rust the hell out of your car.  Airports use some polymer deicing solution on runways, it doesn't freeze until -60 F.  Of course, it's also ridiculously expensive.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly