Author Topic: Highlighting Spelling-Punctuation Errors Creates ‘Unsafe Climate’ ...  (Read 5537 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Highlighting Spelling-Punctuation Errors Creates ‘Unsafe Climate’ ...
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Remember: Every time you make a typo, the errorists win. ::exitstageleft::

I posted this a while back.....

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=9712.0
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
Meanwhile, these are the same people who complain that white people harbor suspicions about whether the credentials of black professionals are the result of tokenism or Affirmative Action. And you know who that's most unfair to? The black people who genuinely earn their accreditations. But they probably aren't down with the struggle anyway, so screw them.

If you're white there is no winning this game, because you're not supposed to win. It's a "Tails I win, Heads you lose" proposition. That's why nobody should bother playing. The cream always rises to the top, no matter how many times they flip the bottle over. If academia becomes so twisted that people no longer accept it as a meaningful way of proving merit, then merit will be proven by other avenues. Let them complain that it's somehow bigoted to expect proper, scholarly English from students at the university level, and it will simply mean that entire disciplines become laughing stocks. Oh, wait....

There is an objective reality, and it always wins. The liberals can work themselves into a lather of sound and fury in their war against reality, but they've already lost. Plenty of us are sick of being collateral damage in their perpetual tilting at windmills. I think lots of them are going to be genuinely (and deliciously) surprised at what a lack of sympathy and remorse will be shown them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »

::bows:: ::bows::

I assumed you were white and therefore did not deserve the credit. If you not, then 'scuse me, my brotha!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »

You did and I forgot to give you a big  ::hat-tip::

You da man!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 10:04:27 AM »
I assumed you were white and therefore did not deserve the credit. If you not, then 'scuse me, my brotha!

I be of the Caucasian ethnicity!  ::popcorn::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

You da man!

Aww, geez! Now I gotta check again!  ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »

You da man!

Aww, geez! Now I gotta check again!  ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::

I made the ASSumption that everyone read your post. You know what happens when you assume....

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
Yup.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
Just got back from a north Jersey Tea Party meeting re: Common Core Curriculum - wow - it dovetails with Agenda 21 - dumb down the population via poor educational standards & "import" scientists from overseas if needed (soon Algebra II will be the highest math taught in HS). Large Corps like Exxon driving/funding lower standards because "America needs worker bees, not geniuses" ..and parents asking questions @ Bd. of Ed meetings are treated like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQmUnisDEM

http://youtu.be/XEQmUnisDEM

::rockets::

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:12:22 AM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:36 AM »
Maybe it is the ObamaCare-effect, but the term Common Core has taken no time in becoming a trigger for invoking intense rage!!!

::cussing::   ::angry::   ::viking::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »
Maybe it is the ObamaCare-effect, but the term Common Core has taken no time in becoming a trigger for invoking intense rage!!!

::cussing::   ::angry::   ::viking::

And rightfully so. The plan is to Federalize educational curriculum & do away with state control & local Boards of Education in an effort to prepare "global", shovel-ready students to back-fill industrial/worker bee jobs. It's currently being funded by Exxon & other corporations who tell the government what types of jobs they need to fill - for which curriculum is then "designed." Also backed by Bill Gates - who "donates" millions in return for standing to gain billions once the student flow reaches his industry.

They tried this under Clinton - but their mistake was launcing with revisionist history, which drew blow-back & failed. Learning from their mistakes, they're now relaunching...with Math, English & Literature.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »

And rightfully so. The plan is to Federalize educational curriculum & do away with state control & local Boards of Education in an effort to prepare "global", shovel-ready students to back-fill industrial/worker bee jobs. It's currently being funded by Exxon & other corporations who tell the government what types of jobs they need to fill - for which curriculum is then "designed." Also backed by Bill Gates - who "donates" millions in return for standing to gain billions once the student flow reaches his industry.

They tried this under Clinton - but their mistake was launcing with revisionist history, which drew blow-back & failed. Learning from their mistakes, they're now relaunching...with Math, English & Literature.

This is what is revealed about education in https://archive.org/details/TheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEducation_758 published in 2000. This link will take you to an online version of the book THE UNDERGROUND HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION.  This book explains that in the 1800's the industrial titans wanted public schooling to be a place to homogenize everyone and make them suitable as factory workers. That has been its focus since.  It's hard to reform something that wasn't designed to enlighten people and lead them to the good, the true and the beautiful. But parents and teachers and even students saw value in learning and being human and so they approached it as a good to be fostered and protected. The progressives' efforts to institutionalize thousands of children didn't lead to the complete control of children so over the years they've introduced more of their agenda into the schools through various required subjects and worked hard to limit parents' influence in the schools.  The progressives have finally realized that universal, federal control rather state/local control is essential for their purposes.

I had the opportunity to hear Mr. Gatto speak a few years ago. He truly believes in children's ability to learn and learn more than many ever expect.

Here's the intro to the online version that sums up the book:
John Taylor Gatto is a former New York public schoolteacher who taught for thirty years and won multiple awards for his teaching. However, constant harassment by unhelpful administrations plus his own frustrations with what he came to realize were the inherent systemic deficiencies of our `public' schools led him to resign; he now is a school-choice activist who writes and speaks against our compulsory, government-run school system.

THE UNDERGROUND HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION is a freewheeling investigation into the real - as opposed to the `official' - history of schooling, focused on the U.S. but with examinations of other historical examples for the purposes of comparing and contrasting, as well as for tracing where ideas and concepts related to education originated. You will discover things you were never told in the official version, things that will, at times, surprise, disgust, and scare you. You will also be introduced to the little-known historiography of the the darker side of the construction of compulsory government schooling.

In the final analysis, Gatto believes that compulsory, government-run schooling is inherently destructive to true education, the cultivation of self-reliance, and indeed to individualism - which used to be a defining element of the American character. The true purpose of our public school system in reality has more to do with control than it does with learning. This does not mean that rank-and-file teachers, principals, and even superintendents believe they are making students dumber, more conformist, less self-reliant, less capable of genuine analytical, independent thought, and more easily controlled; most people involved in the system no doubt believe that they are trying their best to really teach their students. However, the system itself (which Gatto often characterizes as a complex web) ensures that its real purpose is served, despite the efforts of individual reformers within it - that true democracy is rendered unworkable even as the trappings of democracy are allegedly bolstered. Seen in this light, these institutions that produce barely literate, dependent, conformist, incomplete individuals full of emotional and psychological problems, who lack real knowledge (and whose capacity for acquiring such is deliberately weakened or eliminated), and who are just `educated' enough to pay their taxes and buy the latest products, are not, in fact, failing schools - on the contrary, if we are to believe Gatto's analysis, they are performing their designated function PERFECTLY. That purpose is to mold people in such a way as to make them more easily controlled by corporations and the state (a clear-cut example of how, contrary to popular myth, the interests of big business and those of big government more often than not coincide.)

Though the organization of the book is somewhat haphazard, this book is compulsively readable to any critical thinker with an open mind to consider what's REALLY wrong with our school system (and, no, it's nothing so simple as a shortage of funds or a lack of `accountability' -- the real problems are deeper, philosophical, and systemic.) The book is absolutely riveting, and the country would be better off if more citizens read it and demanded real change to the system.

The book is provocative.  He opens with this:
The shocking possibility that dumb people don’t exist in sufficient numbers to
warrant the millions of careers devoted to tending them will seem incredible to you.
Yet that is my central proposition: the mass dumbness which justifies official
schooling first had to be dreamed of; it isn’t real.

From the book:
6) The sixth lesson schools teach is intellectual dependency. Good people wait for a
teacher to tell them what to do. Good people do it the way the teacher wants it done.
Good teachers in their turn wait for the curriculum supervisor or textbook to tell them
what to do. Principals are evaluated according to an ability to make these groups conform
to expectations; superintendents upon their ability to make principals conform; state
education departments on their ability to efficiently direct and control the thinking of
superintendents according to instructions which originate with foundations, universities,
and politicians sensitive to the quietly expressed wishes of powerful corporations, and
other interests.
For all its clumsy execution, school is a textbook illustration of how the bureaucratic
chain of command is supposed to work. Once the thing is running, virtually nobody can
alter its direction who doesn’t understand the complex code for making it work, a code
that never stops trying to complicate itself further in order to make human control
impossible. The sixth lesson of schooling teaches that experts make all important choices,
but it is useless to remonstrate with the expert nearest you because he is as helpless as
you are to change the system.

7) The seventh lesson schools teach is provisional self-esteem. Self-respect in children
must be made contingent on the certification of experts through rituals of number magic.
It must not be self-generated as it was for Benjamin Franklin, the Wright brothers,
Thomas Edison, or Henry Ford. The role of grades, report cards, standardized tests,
prizes, scholarships, and other awards in effecting this process is too obvious to belabor,
but it’s the daily encounter with hundreds of verbal and nonverbal cues sent by teachers
that shapes the quality of self-doubt most effectively.

An example:
George Washington was no genius; we know that from too many of his contemporaries to
quibble. John Adams called him "too illiterate, too unlearned, too unread for his station
and reputation." Jefferson, his fellow Virginian, declared he liked to spend time "chiefly
in action, reading little." It was an age when everyone in Boston, even shoeblacks, knew
how to read and count; it was a time when a working-class boy in a family of thirteen like
Franklin couldn’t remember when he didn’t know how to read.

Washington had no schooling until he was eleven, no classroom confinement, no
blackboards. He arrived at school already knowing how to read, write, and calculate
about as well as the average college student today. If that sounds outlandish, turn back to
Franklin’s curriculum and compare it with the intellectual diet of a modern gifted and
talented class. Full literacy wasn’t unusual in the colonies or early republic; many schools
wouldn’t admit students who didn’t know reading and counting because few
schoolmasters were willing to waste time teaching what was so easy to learn. It was
deemed a mark of depraved character if literacy hadn’t been attained by the matriculating
student. Even the many charity schools operated by churches, towns, and philanthropic
associations for the poor would have been flabbergasted at the great hue and cry raised
today about difficulties teaching literacy. American experience proved the contrary.
In New England and the Middle Atlantic Colonies, where reading was especially valued,
literacy was universal. The printed word was also valued in the South, where literacy was
common, if not universal. In fact, it was general literacy among all classes that spurred
the explosive growth of colleges in nineteenth-century America, where even ordinary
folks hungered for advanced forms of learning.

Following George to school at eleven to see what the schoolmaster had in store would
reveal a skimpy menu of studies, yet one with a curious gravity: geometry, trigonometry,
and surveying. You might regard that as impossible or consider it was only a dumbeddown
version of those things, some kid’s game akin to the many simulations one finds
today in schools for prosperous children—simulated city-building, simulated court trials,
simulated businesses—virtual realities to bridge the gap between adult society and the
immaturity of the young. But if George didn’t get the real thing, how do you account for
his first job as official surveyor for Culpepper County, Virginia, only 2,000 days after he
first hefted a surveyor’s transit in school?

For the next three years, Washington earned the equivalent of about $100,000 a year in
today’s purchasing power. It’s probable his social connections helped this fatherless boy
get the position, but in frontier society anyone would be crazy to give a boy serious work
unless he actually could do it. Almost at once he began speculating in land; he didn’t
need a futurist to tell him which way the historical wind was blowing. By the age of
twenty-one, he had leveraged his knowledge and income into 2,500 acres of prime land in
Frederick County, Virginia.

Washington had no father as a teenager, and we know he was no genius, yet he learned
geometry, trigonometry, and surveying when he would have been a fifth or sixth grader
in our era. Ten years later he had prospered directly by his knowledge. His entire life was
a work of art in the sense it was an artifice under his control.

Washington attended school for exactly two years. Besides the subjects mentioned, at
twelve and thirteen (and later) he studied frequently used legal forms like bills of
exchange, tobacco receipts, leases, and patents. From these forms, he was asked to
deduce the theory, philosophy, and custom which produced them. By all accounts, this
steeping in grown-up reality didn’t bore him at all. I had the same experience with
Harlem kids 250 years later, following a similar procedure in teaching them how to
struggle with complex income tax forms. Young people yearn for this kind of guided
introduction to serious things, I think. When that yearning is denied, schooling destroys
their belief that justice governs human affairs.

By his own choice, Washington put time into learning deportment, how to be regarded a
gentleman by other gentlemen; he copied a book of rules which had been used at Jesuit
schools for over a century and with that, his observations, and what advice he could
secure, gathered his own character. Here’s rule 56 to let you see the flavor of the thing:
"Associate yourself with men of good Quality if you Esteem your own reputation." Sharp
kid. No wonder he became president.

Washington also studied geography and astronomy on his own, gaining a knowledge of
regions, continents, oceans, and heavens. In light of the casual judgment of his
contemporaries that his intellect was of normal proportions, you might be surprised to
hear that by eighteen he had devoured all the writings of Henry Fielding, Tobias Smollett,
and Daniel Defoe and read regularly the famous and elegant Spectator. He also read
Seneca’s Morals, Julius Caesar’s Commentaries, and the major writing of other Roman
generals like the historian Tacitus.

At sixteen the future president began writing memos to himself about clothing design, not
content to allow something so important to be left in the hands of tradesmen. Years later
he became his own architect for the magnificent estate of Mt. Vernon. While still in his
twenties, he began to experiment with domestic industry where he might avoid the
vagaries of international finance in things like cotton or tobacco. First he tried to grow
hemp "for medicinal purposes," which didn’t work out; next he tried flax—that didn’t
work either. At the age of thirty-one, he hit on wheat. In seven years he had a little wheat
business with his own flour mills and hired agents to market his own brand of flour; a
little later he built fishing boats: four years before the Declaration was written he was
pulling in 9 million herring a year.

No public school in the United States is set up to allow a George Washington to happen.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
No public school in the United States is set up to allow a George Washington to happen.

More specifically, they're set up to prevent it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
More ignorant and stupid idiocy by Blacks at UCLA
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
POORLY EDUCATED AND LIED TO, BLACKS AT UCLA CALL CORRECTING THEIR GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION RACIST
FEBRUARY 10, 2014 COACH COLLINS
by Kevin “Coach” Collins

It’s hard to figure out what to make of the people in this story.  Should these people be laughed at or pitied?

Recently a group of 25 self-described “Students of Color” held a sit-in to support poor English writing skills. They whined about the “racism” of being offered constructive criticism of their lack of grammar, spelling and punctuation abilities.   

As products of dysfunctional government schools, many if not all of them have little or no writing skill.  Many of them don’t know they have no writing skills. They have been lied to and had their heads patted so often by paternalistic liberals they can no longer recognize the truth about their shortcomings.

We can expect little else from students who have never been dealt with honestly.     

What makes this situation still more ridiculous is that the target of their protest was a professor of Education and Information. Apparently the poorly educated students who registered for this course expected more lies and head pats rather than actual instruction. Claiming to be, “aggrieved minority students,” these spoiled brats proved they haven’t enough brains to realize the value of authentic education.

Using the psycho-babble phrase “micro-aggression” to characterize the professor’s “insulting” act, the Black spoiled brats issued a statement which was likely written by someone who was not offended by being taught how to construct a few sentences in standard American English.  Reading their childishly injected “big” words certainly makes the point that most of them don’t get it.

http://www.coachisright.com/poorly-educated-lied-blacks-ucla-call-correcting-grammar-punctuation-racist/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19:36 AM »
Tough shyt!  Calling others names doesn't make you any less stupid, bro!   ::mooning::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
Tough shyt!  Calling others names doesn't make you any less stupid, bro!   ::mooning::

True, especially when libs fall back on it after losing a debate.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »

True, especially when libs fall back on it after losing a debate.

Once the debate is over...the only way to get a libiot to shut the hell up is to beat them silly with their own arms!

That's what I hear...anyway.   ::evil::