Author Topic: How about "Media Stupidity" ala NYT Bob Herbert's take on Social Security  (Read 2844 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
In his January 24 column for The New York Times, "Raising False Alarms," Bob Herbert invoked the patron saint of progressives, FDR:

"Franklin Roosevelt couldn't have been clearer about the crucial role of the payroll taxes used to finance Social Security. They gave the beneficiaries a "legal, moral and political right" to collect their benefits, he said. "With those taxes in there, no damn politician can ever scrap my Social Security program."

FDR should have read the bill, as Section 1104 of the Social Security Act of 1935 stipulates that: "The right to alter, amend, or repeal any provision of this Act is hereby reserved to the Congress." Moreover, in Flemming v. Nestor (1960) the Supreme Court "established the principle that entitlement to Social Security benefits is not contractual right." (Emphases added.) In delivering the Court's opinion, Justice Harlan wrote:

to engraft upon the social security system a concept of "accrued property rights" would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever-changing conditions which it demands. [...] we must conclude that a person covered by the act has not such a right in benefit payments...

What this means is that payroll taxpayers have no right to Social Security benefits whatsoever; they are owed nothing; they have no contractual rights, no ownership -- and no recourse should Congress end the program.

Perhaps Mr. Herbert's editors could "engraft" a little research onto old Bob. But wait, I forgot, there are no editors at The New York Times.

There soon will be no more Mr. Herbert at the Times either.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
I can only assume that Mr. Herbert failed to mention that F.D.R. , when explaining Social Security to the American people , explicitly stated that it WAS NOT a retirement program but rather additional assistance at the time of retirement . Certain members of Congress should be forced to watch the news reel in which Roosevelt clearly makes that statement . I've seen it a thousand times . I'll bet Chuck Shumer and Harry Reid haven't seen it once !
At least they act like they haven't .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Right on SH, it was never designed to be an end all and be all of retirement funding, but the DemonRats cynically saw a chance to use it as a means to ensure greater and greater enslavement of the elderly, a dependency they can exploit politically...thus the birth of the "third rail of politics"!  Man-made disaster from the get-go, highjacked by ideologically driven progressive aristocratic despots!  My grandfather knew where this was leading and despised FDR and democrats ever since.  I now have the same feelings toward obama and the rest of the proglodytes!  They must be defeated, period.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
And what was the life expectancy at that point in the 1930s? For men wasn't it something like 58? Quite simply, it was a pyramid scheme boondoggle for the express purpose of future Democrat political gains, a scheme that they hoped to perpetuate on the basis that a substantial number of claimants would die before reaching age of eligibility, and those who didn't would die within a few years thereafter.

Plus they keep trying to sell me Amway deodorant and toothpaste for some reason.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
And what was the life expectancy at that point in the 1930s? For men wasn't it something like 58? Quite simply, it was a pyramid scheme boondoggle for the express purpose of future Democrat political gains, a scheme that they hoped to perpetuate on the basis that a substantial number of claimants would die before reaching age of eligibility, and those who didn't would die within a few years thereafter.

Plus they keep trying to sell me Amway deodorant and toothpaste for some reason.

Ya got that right!

Amway?  Need some pampering G?!

http://www.amway.com/EN

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
  I had a neighbor that for some reason never saw fit to invite us over all of a sudden turned up and insisted that we get together at her place because she had people from N.Y. coming to talk to us about how to get rich. I said thanks but no thanks.

She persisted till to shut her up my wife said we would be there. So I went in a bad mood already and this clown gets up there and starts his dog and pony show and at one point he took a break. He asked me what I thought so far and I told him that I don't do pyramid schemes at which point he took offence(oh well).

So I wanted to leave and of course the insisted I stay any way and again not to seem impolite I stayed at one point he looked at me from the front of the room and asked me if I still thought it was a pyramid scheme.

So I simply asked when he was going to use the word Amway?Because till that point he still had not said who the hell he was talking about,so when he came for me I went for him. Once the dunces sitting there heard Amway they looked at me and asked how I knew I said he went to great pains not to use the name and to show how he wasn't talking about a pyramid but he used a circle to try and hide it.

Needless to say were all back to normal we don't go there any more.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Heh, funny.  I was approached by a former neighbor at the home I lived in about 20 years ago, it wasn't Amway, but it was a real estate pyramid scheme, I forget the name...she was a nice older lady who otherwise not annoying to me...I blew her off gently and never had any such schemes offered my way.  She knew I was a professional financial geek and I half thought she was sounding me out for my opinion.  Being last "holding the bag" wasn't anything I was interested in and I may have given her a reason to doubt her participation in it, but I never heard another word about it.  People are so willing to latch onto the get rich scheme du jour!  Even my brother tried a few schemes decades ago.  Even good people can be fooled into thinking there is a better way than tried and true good hard work.  The people who are good at exploiting the insecurities of others and get them to cough up money on the front end are the only ones making anything, at the cost of their souls and down the line at the cost of their families and friends.  Dirty rotten schemes is all they are!